Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

http://goo.gl/maps/j2AHj

I don't really understand why Massachusetts refuses to use the appropriate banners for the shield size - they are specified in the MUTCD (one for 24x24, 36x36, and 48x48), so my only guess would be to save money (the larger the banner the more it costs?). But that's not really the problem with this sign, it's more-so the fact that the banner (as small as it may be) is completely off-center compared to the US 1 shield.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman

Quote from: Zeffy on January 30, 2015, 09:54:20 AM
http://goo.gl/maps/j2AHj

I don't really understand why Massachusetts refuses to use the appropriate banners for the shield size - they are specified in the MUTCD (one for 24x24, 36x36, and 48x48), so my only guess would be to save money (the larger the banner the more it costs?). But that's not really the problem with this sign, it's more-so the fact that the banner (as small as it may be) is completely off-center compared to the US 1 shield.
IIRC, the larger banner size for 48" x 48" shields is a recent addition to the MUTCD.  It's a detail that will hopefully be incorporated into future MassDOT sign upgrade projects.   As for the banner being off-center, that's due to the posts that are used.  Centering the banner on the shield would require a special cross-member, which may affect the breakaway capability of the posts.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: Zeffy on January 27, 2015, 05:11:41 PM
Something tells me that this wasn't put up by MassDOT...

http://goo.gl/maps/qbtTf
Correct.  These signs were put up by the CIty of Worcester under their "Gateway" project.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on January 30, 2015, 09:54:20 AMI don't really understand why Massachusetts refuses to use the appropriate banners for the shield size
I saw similar reassurance marker assemblies for NJ 24; so MA isn't the only state guilty of such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NE2

Quote from: roadman on January 30, 2015, 10:35:07 AM

Correct.  These signs were put up by the CIty of Worcester under their "Gateway" project.
When was that project? The signs were definitely up by 2001.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 30, 2015, 01:47:04 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on January 30, 2015, 09:54:20 AMI don't really understand why Massachusetts refuses to use the appropriate banners for the shield size
I saw similar reassurance marker assemblies for NJ 24; so MA isn't the only state guilty of such.

Massachusetts is definitely not the only state who does it, but I've seen a lot of instances of this in Massachusetts compared to other states.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman

Quote from: NE2 on January 30, 2015, 02:32:31 PM

Gateway 1 (as the project was officially called) was completed about 1997 or 1998.  I recall being in Kelley Square shortly thereafter and noting how the MassHighway spec entrance sign to I-290 a half mile from me was more legible than the City's Gateway sign located only 500 feet from me.

Zeffy

I wish they would've used a different typeface (oh, and larger shields). I think it's cool Worcester put up their own signs, but that purpose is defeated if they are less legible than normal DOT signs.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on January 30, 2015, 03:02:45 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 30, 2015, 02:32:31 PM

Gateway 1 (as the project was officially called) was completed about 1997 or 1998.  I recall being in Kelley Square shortly thereafter and noting how the MassHighway spec entrance sign to I-290 a half mile from me was more legible than the City's Gateway sign located only 500 feet from me.

Speaking of Kelley Square, that might just be the nuttiest intersection I've ever seen.

NE2

Lincoln Square is nuttier, with its essentially useless tunnel. It made a lot more sense when it was northbound-only with access to Salisbury, Prescott, and Lincoln.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jakeroot

Quote from: NE2 on January 30, 2015, 04:04:07 PM
Lincoln Square is nuttier, with its essentially useless tunnel. It made a lot more sense when it was northbound-only with access to Salisbury, Prescott, and Lincoln.

I'll admit, that tunnel looks like a waste, but Kelley Square looks like an absolute clusterfuck. At least Lincoln Square has some order to it. From what I've read about the Kelley Square, you don't even stop at the stop signs (you just keep going, since its Boston Massachusetts, and offensive driving is the only driving).

PHLBOS

Zeffy,

Not sure if this was already mentioned or commented on on this thread or elsewhere; but for one traffic signal project, the engineer/designer got a little creative with using large shields but small cardinal banners and direction arrows.

One advance trailblazer assembly approaching the traffic signal (further down).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 30, 2015, 04:33:04 PM
Zeffy,

Not sure if this was already mentioned or commented on on this thread or elsewhere; but for one traffic signal project, the engineer/designer got a little creative with using large shields but small cardinal banners and direction arrows.

Ugh, it just looks so out of proportion.  :ded:

SignGeek101

Quote from: Zeffy on January 30, 2015, 05:03:45 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 30, 2015, 04:33:04 PM
Zeffy,

Ugh, it just looks so out of proportion.  :ded:

I don't think it looks that bad.

SignGeek101

AsphaltPlanet

^ Signs like those were the standard in Ontario until the '90s.  Ontario redid a lot of its signs during the 1990s when bilingual signage was first introduced in the GTA.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

amroad17

Quote from: Alex on January 28, 2015, 02:47:28 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 28, 2015, 12:15:34 PM
Larger width-wise then. :-P

The worst example that comes to mind to me is this sign on I-10 east in Florida:

Cannot be helped when the main exit sign only has a secondary or county route shield.  Exit 19 along I-77 in Virginia north of Hillsville is similar to this.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jakeroot

Quote from: amroad17 on February 01, 2015, 05:24:20 PM

The worst example that comes to mind to me is this sign on I-10 east in Florida:

Cannot be helped when the main exit sign only has a secondary or county route shield.  Exit 19 along I-77 in Virginia north of Hillsville is similar to this.

I'm pretty sure you can help it ... You just make the sign wider.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: jakeroot on February 01, 2015, 05:50:27 PM

I can second that. I must say that BGS is very tiny  :-P

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

odditude

Quote from: jakeroot on February 01, 2015, 05:50:27 PM

...as exemplified here.

Zeffy

Quote from: odditude on February 02, 2015, 09:41:30 AM
...as exemplified here.

Of course, here is an example where Trenton and Princeton should be signed (or Lawrenceville instead of Princeton) . Not sure why the advance signs before 1/2 a mile omit this.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on February 02, 2015, 10:19:34 AM
...as exemplified here.
Of course, here is an example where Trenton and Princeton should be signed (or Lawrenceville instead of Princeton) . Not sure why the advance signs before 1/2 a mile omit this.
In Milford, CT; signage for the US 1 interchange w/I-95 (Exits 39A-B) show no listed destinations whatsoever nor street name(s) for either direction of US 1.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

odditude

Quote from: Zeffy on February 02, 2015, 10:19:34 AM
...as exemplified here.

the actual exits are 206 SOUTH / Trenton and 206 NORTH / Lawrenceville / Princeton.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

jakeroot

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.