News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 20, 2015, 07:01:21 PM
Maybe in 50 -100 years when the tree dies, the old sign will remain   :)

More likely someone will cut it down, begin carving it into firewood and receive a really nasty surprise.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jbnv on April 21, 2015, 07:25:03 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 20, 2015, 07:01:21 PM
Maybe in 50 -100 years when the tree dies, the old sign will remain   :)

More likely someone will cut it down, begin carving it into firewood and receive a really nasty surprise.

Perhaps nasty... unless said person is a member of our fair hobby.

jakeroot

Usually the "dead end" sign is posted on the other side of the street in a diamond.

I know there are plenty of funny-cut signs on this site, I'm just not used to seeing any IRL.

freebrickproductions

Here's an interesting one in Selma, AL:
http://www.instantstreetview.com/@32.411128,-87.005517,-329.91h,-10.49p,4z
EDIT: Changed link.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

vtk

Found a couple of these last week in the Irvington neighborhood of Indianapolis:

One of them was on westbound Washington Street just past Shadeland; this one was on eastbound Washington just past Johnson Avenue.  I didn't think to look for a sticker on the back.  Anyway, does this odd font have a name?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jakeroot

Is this the normal "Narrow Bridge" sign? I always thought it was just text.

Tumwater, Washington, along Henderson Boulevard:

riiga

Yup, W5-2a in the MUTCD, but removed in 2000 according to the description here.

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on May 01, 2015, 12:39:21 PM
Is this the normal "Narrow Bridge" sign? I always thought it was just text.

Tumwater, Washington, along Henderson Boulevard:

Here's another one:

I like it actually. Better than a text sign IMO. Not as good as the Canadian / European / Asian etc sign though:

Mapmikey

Here's a variation with a missing piece:
https://goo.gl/maps/zWJVG

SR 616 near Keswick, VA

Mapmikey

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on May 01, 2015, 12:53:27 PM

??? What the hell? It was in the Millenium Edition, but gone in 2003. You don't see symbols removed from the MUTCD everyday.

Quote from: SignGeek101 on May 01, 2015, 12:56:35 PM
I like it actually. Better than a text sign IMO. Not as good as the Canadian / European / Asian etc sign though:

Very seldom do I prefer American signs to Canadian signs. The "double arrow" sign (W12-1) is one that I prefer, and I think this is the other. Both do a very good job, I just like the lane lines for some reason. Sort of like the Canadian passing lane signs.

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 01, 2015, 02:17:57 PM
Here's a variation with a missing piece:

I would imagine that the signs will slowly be replaced.

freebrickproductions

I know of a bunch near me. I guess I should go out and photograph them!
I'm willing to bet it was removed from the MUTCD because they decided that it wasn't visible enough or something.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

When graphic signs first started replacing text signs, I often wondered why "Narrow Bridge" signs weren't originally included. I envisioned something that looked pretty much like what eventually was developed. There are still a few of the graphic signs in this area that haven't been replaced with text. So I guess what's old is new again.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Atomica

Quote from: formulanone on December 05, 2013, 09:05:16 PM
^ The Aggression and Extreme Prejudice Towards Others, Possibly Involving a Cardinal Direction; I tells 'ya.

Or, Armstrong Flower Fields in Carlsbad, California. The only time I've seen artwork to complement a couple of BGSs:

I have been known to experiment with artwork on signage myself, and think it could be helpful especially if handling a street or community named for a famous person, as in an historical figure or even a celebrity.
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

J N Winkler

Quote from: vdeane on April 14, 2015, 03:35:13 PM(In discussion of purple-background guide signs on Westpark Tollway in Houston)

Different color combinations.  Green is used for guide signs in the US because a study conducted in preparation for the interstate highway system where drivers drove around a test track found that green was the most readable, beating out blue and black.

Actually, no.  Years ago I asked for a copy of the study and discovered it was a pure popularity contest.  Each of the three combinations was already being successfully used somewhere in the US at the time, and the test subjects were asked to rate the one they found most pleasing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Atomica

Quote from: US71 on December 05, 2013, 11:07:26 PM

Ugly fonts in Oklahoma

Good point:  I note the use of an old-type-looking font that someone suggested looked like a football jersey on the US sign - and the contractor's use of a new OK marker with Series E Modified numbers - which is a carryover from the old OK circle markers, which in the last 10 years of use, also used SEM numbers - which is also noted in my OWN avatar, which is, forgive me, a look at a NON-DIECUT California miners spade if Oklahomans made it.
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 18, 2015, 05:03:27 PM
Hungry hungry tree:

I've seen trees growing around signs before. On Long Island Avenue at the former intersection near the old alignment of Sills Road, there used to be one that grew around a sign for a motel in Yaphank that's has been a shelter for War Veterans for the past few decades. The Medford Civic and Taxpayers Association wanted to preserve it, and I tried to cut it out for them, but I couldn't do it.

freebrickproductions

I saw a tree that had a 'No Parking' sign mounted on it and the tree grew around half the sign. Someone later came back and ripped off the other half.

(They/Them)

formulanone

Quote from: riiga on May 01, 2015, 12:53:27 PM

Really? I see these all over the place - but I suppose there's possibly some ambiguity to it at first.

spooky

Big John

^^ When I see such a sign (the lower one on the left) I wonder what we are supposed to caution the children about.

Zeffy

https://www.google.ca/maps/@39.627378,-76.085533,3a,49.4y,298.86h,83.96t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQ6Gaqo-sZfxu2KxvMw4KLQ!2e0

The street view sucks, but I think the LeHay font is on those Maryland shields, and I guess someone from Newport News snuck into Maryland to make that sign, since it looks exactly like a unisign you would find there.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

halork

Saw this out in eastern Colorado... I don't think this is a good idea.  Just pick one.

milepost-sm by halork, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: halork on May 05, 2015, 05:08:31 PM
Saw this out in eastern Colorado... I don't think this is a good idea.  Just pick one.

I agree. One of the routes should be primary (probably US-36).

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.