Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: M3100 on October 09, 2021, 05:59:13 PM
Seen in Culver City, CA (a suburb of Los Angeles).
Do you pay at the Pay Station or at this meter?
If the valet parks someone's car here between 6-9pm on a Tuesday, will it be towed?
(image)

it seems like a lot of the signs are mutually exclusive. i can't seem to calculate when one can park there.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

1995hoo

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 10, 2021, 10:22:26 AM
If the valet parks someone's car here between 6-9pm on a Tuesday, will it be towed?
(image)

it seems like a lot of the signs are mutually exclusive. i can't seem to calculate when one can park there.

Safest thing is to follow the most restrictive sign in that situation.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 10, 2021, 12:32:10 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 10, 2021, 10:22:26 AM
(image)

Safest thing is to follow the most restrictive sign in that situation.

But if you're elsewhere and get a valet, and they park it there during the Tuesday restriction...
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

wanderer2575

A side road off US-522 in Virginia.  You'd think this was obvious, but maybe not.

thenetwork

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 10, 2021, 06:47:04 PM
A side road off US-522 in Virginia.  You'd think this was obvious, but maybe not.

Always bring a towel with you and make sure you are completely dry before you cross this bridge...

tolbs17

SkyPesos

tolbs17

Mapmikey

That sign is used on 2-lane roads that have a median for a brief time.

Here is US 17 in Vanceboro NC - https://goo.gl/maps/d2J6y3e7WDij4cKx7

Here is VA 311 approaching a 'tunnel' under a RR where each side has its own tube - https://goo.gl/maps/zin6JopEA2V64zEK8

Here is SC 64 approaching US 17 ini Jacksonboro SC.  In this case, at no point is there ever a multilane - https://goo.gl/maps/4XucLxFYHKxu5H2R7; https://goo.gl/maps/vcc7sZcDtbSFKrGy5  This sign remains even though they redid this intersection to have no median.

It is even used on a 4 lane undivided road becoming divided for a time.  Here is US 1 near Doswell VA - https://goo.gl/maps/9gPQetTdmst47LQz9

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 11, 2021, 02:40:35 AM
<snipped> A warning sign in the middle!

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 11, 2021, 03:00:34 AM
Similar idea, but wrong sign. It's supposed to be a "Keep right"  sign in this case.

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 11, 2021, 03:06:21 AM
That sign is normally used if the road divides to 4 lanes with a median...really. :banghead:

You are correct that the Divided Highway warning sign (W6-1) should be on the right side approaching the median.  SkyPesos is also correct that there should be a "Keep Right" sign (R4-7) in the median and also at the railroad bridge support column in the median.  But the Divided Highway sign (W6-1) doesn't necessarily mean multi-lane divided, and should still be used in this situation.

By the way, MUTCD specifically bans this application: "The Divided Highway (W6-1) sign shall not be used instead of a Keep Right (R4-7 series) sign on the approach end of a median island".

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

ErmineNotyours

tolbs17

US 89

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 12, 2021, 10:38:40 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on October 12, 2021, 10:31:17 PM
So you're saying this installation is wrong?

Yes

That would be wrong on even another count, as the sign implies the median island ends when in fact it begins.

tolbs17

Quote from: US 89 on October 12, 2021, 11:49:09 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on October 12, 2021, 10:38:40 PM

Yes

That would be wrong on even another count, as the sign implies the median island ends when in fact it begins.
But with a KEEP RIGHT sign like SkyPesos mentioned, I think it will be fine.

jakeroot

Woah, I was just up that road yesterday looking at apartments. And then here it is! For the record: way too expensive, so don't try and find me up there lol.

hbelkins

^^^

Why wouldn't turning that "Divided Highway Ends" sign upside down and making it into a "Divided Highway Begins" sign not be appropriate? True, it's not a white "Keep Right" sign but it would be functionally appropriate if it was mounted correctly.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2021, 04:13:31 PMWhy wouldn't turning that "Divided Highway Ends" sign upside down and making it into a "Divided Highway Begins" sign not be appropriate? True, it's not a white "Keep Right" sign but it would be functionally appropriate if it was mounted correctly.

In order to be correct, it has to be mounted before the upstream nose of the island so that it warns of the divided-highway condition.  "Keep right" is used on the nose itself because that is where a regulation (keep on your side of the divider) begins.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

noelbotevera

Also, doesn't divided highway have a clear definition? It may not be legal, but a divided highway has to at least have a median (and multilane from my experiences). That just looks like the road divides (splits into one way couplets) instead of a true divided highway.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2021, 04:13:31 PM
Why wouldn't turning that "Divided Highway Ends" sign upside down and making it into a "Divided Highway Begins" sign not be appropriate? True, it's not a white "Keep Right" sign but it would be functionally appropriate if it was mounted correctly.

It's the legal semantics surrounding MUTCD.  A railroad crossing crossbuck sign must be preceded by a railroad crossing warning sign.  Back in my first years of railroading, accidents occurring at a grade crossing with deficient signage could be proven as negligent.  When my railroad decided to quit rolling over in lawsuits, we were constantly reminded to get deficient or incorrect signage replaced.

Rothman

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 14, 2021, 10:20:29 PM

It's the legal semantics surrounding MUTCD.  A railroad crossing crossbuck sign must be preceded by a railroad crossing warning sign.  Back in my first years of railroading, accidents occurring at a grade crossing with deficient signage could be proven as negligent.  When my railroad decided to quit rolling over in lawsuits, we were constantly reminded to get deficient or incorrect signage replaced.
Heh.  One of the difficulties NYSDOT has found in dealing with CSX is their mentality is that accidents are what lawyers are for, rather than taking cheap measures to prevent such (e.g., flaggers and the like).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on October 14, 2021, 11:43:28 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 14, 2021, 10:20:29 PM

Heh.  One of the difficulties NYSDOT has found in dealing with CSX is their mentality is that accidents are what lawyers are for, rather than taking cheap measures to prevent such (e.g., flaggers and the like).

KYTC has issues with CSX, too. It's very frustrating.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JoePCool14

This also looks like an example of excessive signage for something so minor. Do we really need a sign saying 15% grade on a road like this?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

jakeroot

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 15, 2021, 03:44:51 PM

This also looks like an example of excessive signage for something so minor. Do we really need a sign saying 15% grade on a road like this?

I just drove up the road myself, totally incidentally, a few days ago (as I mentioned a couple posts back). I think it's warranted, as it's the only road to reach four apartment buildings so trucks and whatnot will be using it. It's also very back-and-forth.

Here's the location: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5054247,-122.1990036,397m/data=!3m1!1e3

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/om67SKFaPq5phq8dA

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 15, 2021, 03:44:51 PM

Technically compliant, since it is warning of the division ending ahead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.