Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman65 on November 09, 2021, 10:56:30 AMOdd that 29th Street gets its description but Hydraulic Street doesn't.

Looks like Hydraulic is a control city served by 29th Street.

Those signs were installed circa 1998 and replaced as part of a sign refurbishment several years ago.  Here are the ones currently in place (StreetView imagery date of August 2019):

The replacement was designed to provide Street/Avenue/Road/etc. identifiers where they were missing and covered nearly all large panel signs on I-135, I-235, and K-96 in Wichita, but left Kellogg Avenue (US 54-400) untouched.  Many of the signs on it thus lack the generic portion of the crossroad name.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Some of hyphen H-1 shields I found in O'ahu:

H1Ih by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

H1Ik by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

H1Ih by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Also found a reference to HI 78 on a sign also displaying Intertate H-201 at Pearl Harbor:

H1Ig by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 09, 2021, 04:08:45 PM
Also found a reference to HI 78 on a sign also displaying Intertate H-201 at Pearl Harbor:

H1Ig by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

With that shield shape, it might be NJ 78, which would be the longest distance for a trailblazer.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

BuildTheRussian

BuildTheRussian

roadman65

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 09, 2021, 03:39:14 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 09, 2021, 10:56:30 AMOdd that 29th Street gets its description but Hydraulic Street doesn’t.

Looks like Hydraulic is a control city served by 29th Street.

Those signs were installed circa 1998 and replaced as part of a sign refurbishment several years ago.  Here are the ones currently in place (StreetView imagery date of August 2019):

The replacement was designed to provide Street/Avenue/Road/etc. identifiers where they were missing and covered nearly all large panel signs on I-135, I-235, and K-96 in Wichita, but left Kellogg Avenue (US 54-400) untouched.  Many of the signs on it thus lack the generic portion of the crossroad name.

I thought Armour was a place until I looked at a map. The line item between the shopping center driveway/ Armour and Woodlawn is confusing.
Also Kellogg still signs Hillside, Rock, Grove, etc.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Presumably that space was originally occupied by a shield of some kind (I'm sure J.N. could tell us what it was).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2021, 11:24:12 AM

I thought Armour was a place until I looked at a map. The line item between the shopping center driveway/ Armour and Woodlawn is confusing.

Also Kellogg still signs Hillside, Rock, Grove, etc.

Towne East Drive, which runs from Kellogg to Douglas, was originally part of Armour Street.  I suspect Simon Property Group (which owns the mall) of having engineered the renaming in effect to obtain free advertising, since malls don't qualify for traffic generator signing in Kansas.

The ruled line between the Towne East Drive/Armour and Woodlawn blocks is designed to convey that they are separate intersections, but this is admittedly not of much help to stranger drivers, and other signs in town that also use ruled lines don't necessarily follow the same grouping rule (e.g. "Ridge Rd, Dugan Rd/Eisenhower Natl Airport" rather than "Ridge Rd, Eisenhower Natl Airport/Dugan Rd").

Much of the signing on Kellogg is original to construction of the various interchanges and is due for replacement.

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2021, 11:36:12 AMWhy not add Southwest Blvd in the empty space above it?

That sign is now gone, since it was replaced as part of upgrading I-235/US 54 from a cloverleaf to a stack/turban hybrid.

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 12, 2021, 02:55:47 PMPresumably that space was originally occupied by a shield of some kind (I'm sure J.N. could tell us what it was).

It held shields for K-2 and K-42, both of which used to terminate at Kellogg.  In the 1990's, K-2 was pruned back to Suppesville (west end of the former K-2/K-42 overlap that ended in Wichita) and K-42 to its interchange with I-235.  An erroneous K-2 shield persisted on an I-235 interchange sequence sign for almost 20 years.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Kniwt

Virgin Acres Blvd., Beaver Dam AZ. Hand-lettered but, I can definitely confirm, 100% justified and accurate.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Kniwt on November 12, 2021, 07:10:04 PM
Virgin Acres Blvd., Beaver Dam AZ. Hand-lettered but, I can definitely confirm, 100% justified and accurate.

This looks like an old alignment of something... but is it one?
—Mr. Thwomp

Kniwt

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 12, 2021, 07:12:42 PM

Highly unlikely, but I suppose it's remotely possible that it somehow connected with "Old Pioneer Road" at the bottom of the mostly-impassable bluff. I don't see anything that indicates this was ever part of US 91, though.

Conversely, however, the name "Old Pioneer Road" certainly suggests some type of historical alignment.

MCRoads

Well this is certainly unique...

https://goo.gl/maps/pbw7q7mA43Yfo6CK7

From the placement, it looks like it is referring to the split between the thru and turn lanes, but it is possible that it is referencing the signalized intersection ahead, which has a similar shape.

Almost certainly gone now due to the Pensacola bay bridge replacement.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 12, 2021, 07:12:42 PM
Quote from: Kniwt on November 12, 2021, 07:10:04 PM

It's close to Old US 91 but isn't.  Old US 91 was in just as bad of shape until it was repaved on both sides of the state line.

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

roadman65

This one speed limit sign is more of a public service message.

Park City, Kansas.

Sheryl Crowe

BuildTheRussian

Doesn't even look like a speed limit to me. Could just be advisory.

Big John

Quote from: BuildTheRussian on November 18, 2021, 12:40:07 AM
In America, a white rectangle signifies that it is a regulatory sign.

roadfro

Quote from: Big John on November 18, 2021, 01:11:03 AM

Regulatory color scheme, but that's not really a regulatory message...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

CardInLex

Quote from: roadman65 on November 17, 2021, 10:32:54 PM
This one speed limit sign is more of a public service message.

Park City, Kansas.

Lexington, KY uses graphical speed limit signs to supplement regulatory ones. They use several different designs. Here are two (directly across from one another): https://goo.gl/maps/xJ68HKDjqpNciNz79

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: roadfro on November 18, 2021, 10:58:02 AM

Sure it is.  If you fail to go 25 and a kid dies as a result, expect a citation and a point on your driving record.

Scott5114

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on November 19, 2021, 02:43:40 AM

Sure it is.  If you fail to go 25 and a kid dies as a result, expect a citation and a point on your driving record.

...which could then be taken to court and thrown out on the basis of the sign not complying with the MUTCD. May not work for any actual crimes you're charged with for running over a pedestrian, but people have absolutely gotten traffic tickets dismissed that way.

BuildTheRussian

Just a citation, for KILLING a kid?? In Russia the driver would've gotten prison time, regardless if it's the kid's fault or not.

Scott5114

Quote from: BuildTheRussian on November 19, 2021, 05:41:17 AM

Just a citation, for KILLING a kid?? In Russia the driver would've gotten prison time, regardless if it's the kid's fault or not.

The American system usually tries to determine fault in an accident and proceeds with guilt or innocence of any crimes, and whose insurance is responsible for paying any claims, accordingly. If you're doing under the speed limit and a kid steps into the street 10 feet ahead of you, there is nothing any driver on Earth could have done to actually react and avoid the collision. That person would probably not even get a citation. If you're doing 70 mph (110 km/h) on a residential street and run over a kid, then you can expect jail time.

American trials usually have a jury determining innocence or guilt, not a judge (who only referees the trial and determines the sentence if the jury finds the defendant guilty). If a reasonable person is likely to think that the driver was not at fault, the state is unlikely to even charge the driver with a crime because it would be a huge waste of time and money to go through the process of taking the matter to court just to get an inevitable not-guilty finding.

BuildTheRussian

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 19, 2021, 01:56:37 PM
Quote from: BuildTheRussian on November 19, 2021, 05:41:17 AM

If you're doing 70 mph (110 km/h) on a residential street and run over a kid, then you can expect jail time.

That's exactly what I was saying would happen in that case, which is the most common out of all the situations in that case. No matter if the kid jumped out in front of the speeder, or if the speeder ran over him.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.