News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Mr. Matté

Any time I see a pictorial Yield Ahead sign where the yield symbol is really huge, I think of the early-episodes of Family Guy where the character's mouths really show their teeth:

vdeane

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 24, 2014, 08:20:28 PM
Any time I see a pictorial Yield Ahead sign where the yield symbol is really huge, I think of the early-episodes of Family Guy where the character's mouths really show their teeth:
Once it's seen, it cannot be unseen!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

spooky

formulanone

^ Pick-a-state, Anystate? But probably...Massachusetts?

Brandon

Quote from: formulanone on March 31, 2014, 07:55:20 PM

I know it's not Illinois.  No route 27 of any type, state, US, or Interstate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SidS1045

Given what looks like a paddle sign across the road, I'd say you're right.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

spooky

Yes, these type of signs are mounted both approaching and departing the intersection of Routes 27 and 109 in Medfield, MA.

formulanone

Quote from: SidS1045 on March 31, 2014, 10:56:00 PM

Given what looks like a paddle sign across the road, I'd say you're right.

I always thought the paddle signs were duplicated on both sides? (Then again, I haven't spent any serious time in MA since 1991.)

SidS1045

Quote from: formulanone on April 01, 2014, 12:50:42 PM
I always thought the paddle signs were duplicated on both sides? (Then again, I haven't spent any serious time in MA since 1991.)

They can be, but usually aren't.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

1995hoo

New signs outside Nationals Park on Friday. Never seen either before anywhere else. The second one strikes me as really odd. If the taxi driver stops to pick up someone hailing him, how exactly do they plan to tow his cab? A ticket, sure, but do they really intend to remove the cabbie from his vehicle (by force if needed) so as to tow the cab?

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

talllguy

X Post from the fonts forum.

:banghead: What in the world is this? (Forgive me for being a bit of a font n00b, but this is something I have never seen)

Shields at Grovenor Metro Station Exit by Elliott P, on Flickr

Odd Shields by Elliott P, on Flickr

talllguy

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 06, 2014, 09:14:31 PM
New signs outside Nationals Park on Friday. Never seen either before anywhere else. The second one strikes me as really odd. If the taxi driver stops to pick up someone hailing him, how exactly do they plan to tow his cab? A ticket, sure, but do they really intend to remove the cabbie from his vehicle (by force if needed) so as to tow the cab?

Ugh, taxis... Taxi's interpret NO STOPPING as TAXI STAND. I prefer the second one though and the first is too wordy. A cabbie pictogram would be nice.

jakeroot

Great sign near Puyallup, Washington. The font haters will like this because it uses the loved-by-all Comic Sans and of course, to top everything off, Clearview on brown. Really lovely isn't it?

Zeffy

You know, I understand sign designing companies will allow custom signs, and I'm all for that, but can they start to reduce the number of custom fonts? This is just ugly.

As for the Clearview park sign, well, it surprisingly didn't turn out as bad as I could imagine it to be, but this shouldn't become a trend.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: talllguy on April 14, 2014, 12:53:54 AM

:banghead: What in the world is this? (Forgive me for being a bit of a font n00b, but this is something I have never seen)

The font looks like Franklin Gothic, but its been compressed on the shield, and stretched on the banners.

...could be wrong, though.

roadman

Quote from: SidS1045 on April 01, 2014, 01:10:38 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 01, 2014, 12:50:42 PM

They can be, but usually aren't.

The majority of Massachusetts "paddle" signs (except for those at the ends of freeway off-ramps) were normally double-sided for several decades.  The transition away from PBS (painted both sides) signs began in the mid-1990s (at the same time as MassHighway started including actual route shields on all signs instead of numbers) and was encouraged by MUTCD and local FHWA guidance to place most directional signs on the right side of the road.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on April 14, 2014, 06:29:56 PM
Quote from: talllguy on April 14, 2014, 12:53:54 AM

The font looks like Franklin Gothic, but its been compressed on the shield, and stretched on the banners.

...could be wrong, though.

Stretched Franklin Gothic is exactly right for the banners, but the shields are Helvetica Black.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Zeffy on April 14, 2014, 10:37:34 AM
You know, I understand sign designing companies will allow custom signs, and I'm all for that, but can they start to reduce the number of custom fonts? This is just ugly.

As for the Clearview park sign, well, it surprisingly didn't turn out as bad as I could imagine it to be, but this shouldn't become a trend.

There are some brown signs using Clearview (either all-Clearview or partial) on the George Washington Memorial Parkway near Arlington Memorial Bridge. The Clearview is in all-caps, too. I've never been able to get a good picture due to traffic in the area, though.

It looks weird when it's on the same sign as the National Park Service's standard serif font!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on April 14, 2014, 06:48:16 PMThe transition away from PBS (painted both sides) signs began in the mid-1990s (at the same time as MassHighway started including actual route shields on all signs instead of numbers)
Actually, one of the first non-painted on both sides paddle LGS' date back to 1977 when Bell Circle (MA 1A/16/60) was reconstructed w/its cut-through (for MA 60 West/MA 1A South transition movements).  Those LGS panels were also one of if not the first metal LGS'.  Those particular LGS' have all since been replaced.  Scroll down for photos of the original metal Bell Circle BGS'

Wooden paddle LGS' were made up until the early-to-mid 90s.

Painted wooden LGS panels containing messages only on one side had the backs painted in a flat green finish rather than a reflective/glossy finish.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

talllguy

I thought this was odd because VMS are usually mounted overhead. I don't think I've ever seen one mounted on a pole like this. Looks like a billboard. I-495 in Maryland.

VMS on a Pole by Elliott P, on Flickr

PHLBOS

Quote from: talllguy on April 15, 2014, 01:20:17 PM
I thought this was odd because VMS are usually mounted overhead. I don't think I've ever seen one mounted on a pole like this. Looks like a billboard. I-495 in Maryland.
PA's got a ton of those; some are even located in the median (example: I-476 along the Blue Route).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

NJ installed a lot of theirs low to the ground.  I wished they would do what PA does, just so they're easier to see from the furthest lane away.

roadman

Quote from: talllguy on April 15, 2014, 01:20:17 PM

VMS on a Pole by Elliott P, on Flickr
That was a common mounting option for early "fiber optic/flip disc" VMS panels installed in many states in the 1990s.  One of the reasons for this was that the "FO/FD" design necessitated the use of walk-in cabinets for component maintenance and replacement.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.