News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Clearview Signage in Washington State:

Washington State is not part of the list of states that use Clearview. Thus, the following photos do not depict WSDOT-installed signage. What they do depict, however, is big-green-sign signage that, while not DOT-installed, is Port of Seattle-installed. The signs are installed along what is basically a freeway connecting WA-518 to the airport. It's interesting to see the way the Port has signed things. The photos are in order from north, south along the freeway, and then back north again to the northern end where it began (in essence, a big U-turn). I consider the signs unique because Washington does not use Clearview. If you are in Washington, from my knowledge, this is the only place where you can be travelling 60 mph and have Clearview directing you.

If the following gallery is better suited for another thread, let me know. I'm well known for placing things in the wrong area.

vtk

I prefer that over Frutiger or whatever it is airports tend to use on signs.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Zeffy

Quote from: vtk on June 30, 2014, 10:10:28 AM
I prefer that over Frutiger or whatever it is airports tend to use on signs.

I think Frutiger looks nice actually for airport signing. At least it's better than Arial/Helvetica.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Zeffy

I don't think I've ever seen block numbers on signs that aren't street blade signs.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vtk

Quote from: Zeffy on July 05, 2014, 11:22:22 AM
I don't think I've ever seen block numbers on signs that aren't street blade signs.

Chicago even puts block numbers on freeway exit BGS, don't they?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: vtk on July 05, 2014, 01:07:34 PM

Yes, it does. On I-290 East:

Image from Google Street View
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Brandon

Quote from: vtk on July 05, 2014, 01:07:34 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on July 05, 2014, 11:22:22 AM

Yes, within Chicago only.  Here's a few examples, various expressways:

The city also posts them on signals.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Zeffy

Quote from: Brandon on July 05, 2014, 05:28:02 PM

Slightly off topic, but are there exits 51 A-G somewhere before that exit?  :)

How NOT to do font-stretching, by Chicago Dept. of Transportation...

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jake on June 30, 2014, 01:55:21 AMIf you are in Washington, from my knowledge, this is the only place where you can be travelling 60 mph and have Clearview directing you.

Double check the sixth image, and you'll see that's not quite true.  (And I think the speed limit is 40 for most of the rest of it.)  But yeah, this is the only place I can think of in Washington that has Clearview on a freeway, though there are a few towns and counties that use it.  Everett is probably the most prominent one.

(This might explain why there's Clearview on Elliot Ave W at the Magnolia Bridge in Seattle.  I always assumed it was a city project, but I wonder if those signs were Port-erected, since they partially have to do with the cruise terminal.)

Brandon

Quote from: Zeffy on July 05, 2014, 05:45:04 PM

Slightly off topic, but are there exits 51 A-G somewhere before that exit?  :)

Yes.  IDOT skips for this signage to get people into the correct lane for the Ike/Congress.

Big John

Getting off topic, but this Chicago intersection allows a left turn on green or green arrow, unlike some other Chicago intersections that allow a left only on a green arrow with a 5-section tower in both cases.

jakeroot

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 05, 2014, 05:46:44 PM
Quote from: jake on June 30, 2014, 01:55:21 AMIf you are in Washington, from my knowledge, this is the only place where you can be travelling 60 mph and have Clearview directing you.

Double check the sixth image, and you'll see that's not quite true.  (And I think the speed limit is 40 for most of the rest of it.)  But yeah, this is the only place I can think of in Washington that has Clearview on a freeway, though there are a few towns and counties that use it.  Everett is probably the most prominent one.

(This might explain why there's Clearview on Elliot Ave W at the Magnolia Bridge in Seattle.  I always assumed it was a city project, but I wonder if those signs were Port-erected, since they partially have to do with the cruise terminal.)

Does anyone actually go 40? So the Port of Seattle built a road to freeway-standards and then implement a 40 mph speed limit? I could easily fight that in court.

Fife has some pretty widespread Clearview, along with Puyallup and some signs in Tacoma (I can get specific if you're interested).

Kacie Jane

I'm not sure where exactly the 40 MPH speed limit starts, it might be 60 closer to 518.  I'd guess average speed isn't much above 50, definitely nowhere close to 60.  Too many curves (and poor visibility around them) especially post-Light Rail construction.  Also, I'm guessing unpredictable congestion might be part of the reason for the low speed limit.

jakeroot

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 05, 2014, 09:56:29 PM
I'm not sure where exactly the 40 MPH speed limit starts, it might be 60 closer to 518.  I'd guess average speed isn't much above 50, definitely nowhere close to 60.  Too many curves (and poor visibility around them) especially post-Light Rail construction.  Also, I'm guessing unpredictable congestion might be part of the reason for the low speed limit.

My suggestion: Speed limit 60 with a 40 mph advisory. The speed limit is a limit. I certainly don't feel a need to travel over 60.

jbnv

Quote from: jake on June 30, 2014, 01:55:21 AM
Clearview Signage in Washington State:
(snip)

I passed under some of these signs this past week. Flew into Seattle to catch a cruise to Alaska.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Kacie Jane

Zeffy

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 07, 2014, 07:05:39 PM
On the topic of oddly-fonted signs in Washington, there's this one approaching Tacoma on I-5 SB.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.24586,-122.33444,3a,15y,234.74h,92.14t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sR5UZ7si4CZfIBBL16VLtsw!2e0

That looks like Calibri, which is the default font for all newer Microsoft Office applications.

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on July 07, 2014, 07:07:14 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 07, 2014, 07:05:39 PM
On the topic of oddly-fonted signs in Washington, there's this one approaching Tacoma on I-5 SB.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.24586,-122.33444,3a,15y,234.74h,92.14t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sR5UZ7si4CZfIBBL16VLtsw!2e0

That looks like Calibri, which is the default font for all newer Microsoft Office applications.

Kacie, you have no idea how close we were to posting damn near the same sign.

Also, looks more to me like Myriad Pro Condensed.

Scott5114

It's definitely not Calibri, but I'm not sure what it is. Could also be Frutiger Light. It's hard to tell from the angle the image is at.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Revive 755

Not sure I've seen a yield sign with "cross traffic does not stop" before, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a few more of them.  Here's one south of the IL 117 interchange with I-74

Regarding having block numbers on freeway signs, there are three time this happens on the Missouri side of the St. Louis area:

1) NB I-55 at Broadway (Exit 204)

2) NB I-55 at 3200 Broadway (Exit 206B)

3) WB US 40 for 3000 Market Street

Or how about an interchange sequence sign with exit numbers?  WB US 40 in the Chesterfield area

jakeroot

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 07, 2014, 09:47:23 PM
Not sure I've seen a yield sign with "cross traffic does not stop" before, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a few more of them.  Here's one south of the IL 117 interchange with I-74

Nothing like a right-angle yield. And that isn't me being sarcastic...I genuinely like them. Especially in this case, where visibility is wide and clear.

Although, in regards to the "cross traffic does not stop" sign, it seems redundant, considering the "Yield" sign basically waves your priority at an intersection anyways. "Cross traffic does not stop" is basically a lengthy way of saying "yield".

Ian

There's definitely enough room for "Parkway" to be spelled out at the bottom. These are inside the service station just before exit 11 in Brooklyn.

Also, are there any Belt Parkway shields elsewhere besides this service station?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Quote from: Ian on July 08, 2014, 10:05:34 PM
There's definitely enough room for "Parkway" to be spelled out at the bottom. These are inside the service station just before exit 11 in Brooklyn.

Also, are there any Belt Parkway shields elsewhere besides this service station?
I've seen this design before, so yes, but I believe only on select intersecting streets.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Ian on July 08, 2014, 10:05:34 PM

If you can read this, you're driving too slow.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.