News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 37 (Minnesota)

Started by Molandfreak, February 10, 2015, 03:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Trademark on January 04, 2021, 12:34:18 PM
What if instead of calling it I-37. We mark it right now as I-190. As it stands right now it has enough traffic and local importance as a spur to Rochester that it could be approved right now and then as soon as more freeway miles are added just count up the miles and add it to the freeway.
That worked for Indiana. We had I-164 established, and now it has been incorporated into I-69 in Southern Indiana.  If there is no real need for a 2-d there, then I-190 would still be in existence. 

DJ Particle

I always figured I-37 should be the eventual interstate numbering of the Avenue of the Saints, multiplexing with I-35 from Clear Lake, IA to Burnsville, MN, then taking over I-35W's entire length.

wanderer2575

Quote from: skluth on June 14, 2015, 09:22:08 AM
Quote from: bugo on June 12, 2015, 11:36:20 AM
Quote from: dfwmapper on February 13, 2015, 04:15:42 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 13, 2015, 08:00:18 AM
If they really believed this there could be a lot of duplication.  In Texas DFW has Texas 360 and Austin has loop 360.  I don't think any of us have made any mistakes.
TxDOT had to replace a bunch of signs on southbound US 75 in Grayson County because people were mixing up FM 121 with SH 121 and ending up in Gunter or Tioga instead of at the airport. The F.M. 121 shield on the exit signs was replaced with "FM 121" text, and a "DFW TRAFFIC DO NOT EXIT" supplement at the bottom, and some of the distance signs have "SH 121 to DFW" listed as a destination.

More proof that you can't cure stupid.

SkyPesos

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 05, 2021, 08:02:03 AM
Quote from: skluth on June 14, 2015, 09:22:08 AM
Quote from: bugo on June 12, 2015, 11:36:20 AM
Quote from: dfwmapper on February 13, 2015, 04:15:42 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 13, 2015, 08:00:18 AM
If they really believed this there could be a lot of duplication.  In Texas DFW has Texas 360 and Austin has loop 360.  I don't think any of us have made any mistakes.
TxDOT had to replace a bunch of signs on southbound US 75 in Grayson County because people were mixing up FM 121 with SH 121 and ending up in Gunter or Tioga instead of at the airport. The F.M. 121 shield on the exit signs was replaced with "FM 121" text, and a "DFW TRAFFIC DO NOT EXIT" supplement at the bottom, and some of the distance signs have "SH 121 to DFW" listed as a destination.

More proof that you can't cure stupid.

Think the I-68 one is also part of MD's thing with encouraging drivers to shunpike the PA turnpike. Like I've seen an I-68 sign with "Alternative route to Ohio and points west" on I-270 before, which is saying something.

Papa Emeritus

Because this freeway will pass near MSP airport, I think it should be called I-990, because at one time there was a type of airplane used by American Airlines, Swissair, and other airlines called the "Convair 990".

gbgoose

I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times, but has there ever been discussion of an interstate route from Minneapolis to St. Louis?  You could break off I-37 at Owatonna, follow around the US routes through Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City - ultimately ending up in St. Louis.

Trademark

Quote from: gbgoose on January 05, 2021, 09:53:25 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times, but has there ever been discussion of an interstate route from Minneapolis to St. Louis?  You could break off I-37 at Owatonna, follow around the US routes through Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City - ultimately ending up in St. Louis.

I feel like if they would do an interstate it would be along avenue of the saints. And honestly as someone who takes that road many times its never busy enough to need an interstate upgrade. Theyve been doing a lot of upgrades over the years getting rid of all the lights.

I could see them continuing to add interchanges at a slow pace as needed though.

mgk920

Quote from: Trademark on January 04, 2021, 12:34:18 PM
What if instead of calling it I-37. We mark it right now as I-190. As it stands right now it has enough traffic and local importance as a spur to Rochester that it could be approved right now and then as soon as more freeway miles are added just count up the miles and add it to the freeway.

Wouldn't the existing I-90/US 52 interchange also have to be rewired before that can happen?

Mike

The Ghostbuster

Even if the US 52 corridor doesn't get an Interstate designation (not that I think it needs one), I think all of the exits on US 52 from Interstate 90 in Rochester to Interstate 94 in Saint Paul should have exit numbers. Also, in my opinion, the existing Interstate 37 in Texas will probably be the only corridor that will have the 37 designation, although Interstate 155 in Illinois could have gotten the Interstate 37 designation, as that was the designation Illinois wanted for the corridor. However, that number was turned down in favor of the 155 designation.

We didn't get it on 155 but we did on 39 when it ended at 80 so I think There is a good case. Also 63 would be a fairly easy upgrade

I-39

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 05, 2021, 03:26:33 PM
Even if the US 52 corridor doesn't get an Interstate designation (not that I think it needs one), I think all of the exits on US 52 from Interstate 90 in Rochester to Interstate 94 in Saint Paul should have exit numbers. Also, in my opinion, the existing Interstate 37 in Texas will probably be the only corridor that will have the 37 designation, although Interstate 155 in Illinois could have gotten the Interstate 37 designation, as that was the designation Illinois wanted for the corridor. However, that number was turned down in favor of the 155 designation.

The I-155 corridor is way too short for a two digit.

SkyPesos

What I have here is purely fictional territory, but I had this on a map of mine
- AotS from St. Louis to Waterloo, US 63 from Waterloo to Rochester and US 52 from Rochester to St. Paul becomes an I-55 reroute.
- Current I-55 in Illinois, along with I-44 from Tulsa to St. Louis becomes part of an I-45 extension, so IDOT can shut up about not getting an x5. This would line up with the messed up Wisconsin N-S grid as well.

Illinois was really into an Interstate for every freeway then.
Yep Sky I think it's pretty fictional but interesting I would extend 43 down to Monmouth to overlap the 110 ....

Mdcastle

froggie

^ "Scheduled" (pending COVID fallout, last I knew).  As for WHAT MnDOT has planned...that is another question.  I have yet to find a website or news article showing any sort of detail.

TheHighwayMan3561

Does the interchange really need that much in the way of reconfiguring beyond cleaning up the left turns a bit? The loops are pretty much tumbleweed territory because US 63 handles those movements.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Trademark

Does anyone know which handles more traffic  52 to 90 or 52 to 90?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Trademark on January 06, 2021, 09:10:36 PM
Does anyone know which handles more traffic  52 to 90 or 52 to 90?

They both handle exactly the same amount of traffic. (Read your post again.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

^ No they don't.  63/90 handles more traffic overall.  63 is busier on both sides of 90 than 52.

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on January 07, 2021, 10:32:23 AM
^ No they don't.  63/90 handles more traffic overall.  63 is busier on both sides of 90 than 52.

It was between 52 to 90 and 52 to 90. He didn't ask about 63 at all.

froggie

It was clear to me that he meant 63 for one of them.  You took it way too literally.

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on January 07, 2021, 12:42:14 PM
It was clear to me that he meant 63 for one of them.  You took it way too literally.

I actually thought he meant 52 to 90 or 90 to 52 (i.e. reverse commute).

I-39

Is this an actual proposal? If not, shouldn't this be in the fictional thread?

hotdogPi

Quote from: I-39 on January 07, 2021, 01:14:59 PM
Is this an actual proposal? If not, shouldn't this be in the fictional thread?

The first sentence of the OP explains why this isn't fictional, but he is no longer on the forum.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 12, 2015, 05:34:11 PM
MN 200 should take over MN 194, save it for when the MN 15 freeway is completed through St. Cloud. I-294 can be the planned MN 24 bridge and U.S. 10 to 194.

It was ridiculous to not consider 294 and 494 for the twin cities beltway over a little mile-long highway in Willmar.

No odd 3dI for this one! I-290, I-37 or bust!
Quote from: froggie on February 11, 2015, 06:46:01 PM
My preference for I-290 along the US 52 corridor is twofold.  First, it emphasizes that Rochester is connected to I-90.  Second, it reinforces the route as an alternative for Twin Cities drivers to get to/from I-90 (though it's 27 miles longer than taking I-94 from St. Paul to Tomah).
It's also lighter traffic and thus more reliable speed-wise, though you do have to go through Rochester.

I had an idea of extending I-74 up to Rochester then along 52 up into St. Paul. I have heard several others propose I-290. Not a bad choice either.

I-194 in St Cloud along MN 15 .....? I had the same thought!
I saved the I-294 designation for MN 610 .....
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.