News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2016 Duluth and North Shore Roadmeet - July 30 and 31, 2016

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, August 11, 2015, 03:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 11, 2016, 04:29:21 PM
Also apologies for not asking sooner, but if anyone attending has any two-way radios would they be willing to bring them along on the Sunday portion? We'll likely not have any phone service for the final 30-35 miles of MN 61; I generally lose service about 10 miles or so past Grand Marais.

OK.  I've got a pair that operate in a five mile radius.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

TheHighwayMan3561

Eight days away, so I'm guessing we're pretty much set in attendees since so few were ever really on the fence for this meet to begin with.

One more word of suggestion if you need to: bring a sweater/windbreaker for MN 61. It can get a bit chilly as you get toward the border.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

My "distant maybe" never came to fruition.  Have fun.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Well that was fun :) thanks everybody for coming! I'll have a full write up in the coming days.

TheHighwayMan3561

We started out at the Duluth rose garden on Saturday to explore how that park and its connected parent park, Leif Erickson Park were created and largely shaped by the I-35 tunnels beneath them. Dodging some concurrent weddings at the park, we spent a good 35 minutes there and I think everybody enjoyed it.

Following that, we headed to the Aerial Lift Bridge in Canal Park to visit Duluth's most famous landmark. We did get to see the lift bridge in action as I had hoped (and anticipated).

Our next stops were the sites of the old Arrowhead Bridge, which carried US 2 between Duluth and Superior until 1984 when the Bong Bridge opened. This is the one area in retrospect where I think I could have done a little better; the Superior-side stop was probably not necessary (other than the bathroom site). ;)

After that we went down MN 23 for a scenic view of the St. Louis River Valley and a stop at the Oliver Bridge on MN 39/WIS 105, which is a double-decker road/rail combination ("don't miss that turn").

Finally we stopped at MN 210's washout closure in Jay Cooke State Park where that road is expected to reopen this fall after four years of closure. We saw the permanent-looking END shield there and the gates barricading the road.

Sunday:

A small group of us headed up MN 61. We hit rain outside Two Harbors and thus our first stop was cut to a brief stop at the Silver Creek Cliff tunnel. We then hit Gooseberry Falls for a little while, then headed up to an abandoned alignment of US 61 bypassed in 1969. After that our last two stops were at the Cascade River Overlook (meet photo) and finally at the abandoned US 61 border crossing near Mineral Center; this got exciting because of the somewhat harrowing drive we took back to Grand Portage afterward. :D

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

I apologize for the necro for a meet long past. I have been trying to determine the best place to share this news, since a Facebook post is not appropriate and I didn't know what may be a better option than this.

Those of you who attended the meet may remember my college friend Ryan who joined us for the two days. Sadly I was informed this week that he has entered hospice care due to a battle with cancer over the last year-plus.

He really did enjoy the meet that he spent with us and enjoyed meeting all of you who were there. Tough news to swallow.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 06, 2018, 12:55:39 AM
Those of you who attended the meet may remember my college friend Ryan who joined us for the two days. Sadly I was informed this week that he has entered hospice care due to a battle with cancer over the last year-plus.

He really did enjoy the meet that he spent with us and enjoyed meeting all of you who were there. Tough news to swallow.

I am so sorry to hear this news, Patrick. My thoughts and prayers go out to Ryan and his family.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Sorry to hear this, even though I did not make it to this meet (I really wanted to go but logistics did not work out) sending prayers to you and his family
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.