News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

Isle Royale National Park is closer to Minnesota than it is to the UP of Michigan.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

noelbotevera

Erie Pennsylvania reaches farther north than Sandusky Ohio. Google Maps counts Cedar Point to be a part of Sandusky, but does not reach far enough to be farther north than Erie. Down here I copy and pasted the latitude and longitude for both, just to prove myself.

Sandusky OH:41.4467° N, 82.7092° W
Erie PA:42.1296° N, 80.0852° W
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

sandwalk

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 02, 2015, 03:34:27 PM
Erie Pennsylvania reaches farther north than Sandusky Ohio. Google Maps counts Cedar Point to be a part of Sandusky, but does not reach far enough to be farther north than Erie. Down here I copy and pasted the latitude and longitude for both, just to prove myself.

Sandusky OH:41.4467° N, 82.7092° W
Erie PA:42.1296° N, 80.0852° W

Erie, PA is farther north than any land-based location in Ohio.

CNGL-Leudimin

Heck, I live sightly North of the latitude you quoted for Erie, but there are some parts of my hometown that are below that line.
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 01, 2015, 07:53:00 PM
The states are named after the rivers, not the other way around.

Then I should search for a new word, since also my region is named after the river...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 02, 2015, 03:51:49 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 01, 2015, 07:53:00 PM
The states are named after the rivers, not the other way around.

Then I should search for a new word, since also my region is named after the river...
Same with my area.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jwolfer

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 02, 2015, 12:10:47 AM
Did you know that the NJ pine barrens is the most undeveloped space between DC and Boston.
Much of Ocean and Burlington Counties are undeveloped. With very low population density.  But the remainder is very suburban in character, or shore resort in the case of Ocean County

jwolfer

Looking at a globe, it is amazing how far north Europe is compared to populated regions of North America. Labrador is same latitude as the UK.

The Nature Boy

Here are some:

The closest point in the United States to Europe is Hamlin, Maine.

Cairo, Illinois is closer to Memphis, Tennessee than to Chicago, Illinois.

The French Riviera is north of Boston.

Atlanta is closer to Chicago than Miami.

Zeffy

Quote from: jwolfer on December 02, 2015, 11:53:21 PM
Did you know that the NJ pine barrens is the most undeveloped space between DC and Boston.
Much of Ocean and Burlington Counties are undeveloped. With very low population density.  But the remainder is very suburban in character, or shore resort in the case of Ocean County

Both Suffolk and Warren counties have a lot of undeveloped space too.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on December 03, 2015, 06:15:28 AM

You mean Sussex?

I heard in college that the Pine Barrens represented the largest virgin forest in the East, but the true parameters changed every time I heard that.  Given that most eastern forests have been cleared at least once, there's probably something to that.

jwolfer

When I say undeveloped, it is close to wilderness as you can get in the East Coast. Not agricultural land like farms or ranches.. I assumed he meant Sussex County

jwolfer

Speaking of Sussex County.. It is the northern most County in NJ.. And Sussex means Southern or something like that

The Nature Boy

Quote from: jwolfer on December 03, 2015, 07:53:24 AM

When I say undeveloped, it is close to wilderness as you can get in the East Coast. Not agricultural land like farms or ranches.. I assumed he meant Sussex County

As close to wilderness you can get on the east coast is about 2-3 hours north of Boston :P

I'll grant you that that part of New Jersey is as close to wilderness as you can get along the I-95 corridor. There are some pretty undeveloped places in NH, VT, ME and eastern Upstate New York though and those places are still on the "east coast."

jwolfer

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 03, 2015, 07:56:03 AM

As close to wilderness you can get on the east coast is about 2-3 hours north of Boston

I'll grant you that that part of New Jersey is as close to wilderness as you can get along the I-95 corridor. There are some pretty undeveloped places in NH, VT, ME and eastern Upstate New York though and those places are still on the "east coast."
Yes of course.. I should have clarified East Coast meaning the Megalopolis. Because Okefenokee Swamp and Everglades are pretty much wilderness

Pete from Boston

As close to wilderness you can get on the east coast is about 2-3 hours north of Boston :P

Most of which has been clear cut.  New England's (and the world's) economy was centered on wood as primary building material and fuel for a very long time.  Most of the forest was cut down to stumps.  Very little of what you find out there today is "old growth."  My understanding is that in the Pine Barrens this is not the case.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 03, 2015, 12:21:57 AM
Here are some:

Implied in my location. I'm 3,229 miles in a straight line from there. What is mind-blogging, is that Hamlin ME is also the closest point of the US to the Canary Islands, despite them being located across the ocean from Florida.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 03, 2015, 09:08:00 AM

Most of which has been clear cut.  New England's (and the world's) economy was centered on wood as primary building material and fuel for a very long time.  Most of the forest was cut down to stumps.  Very little of what you find out there today is "old growth."  My understanding is that in the Pine Barrens this is not the case.

While there is some old growth in the Pine Barrens also, nature generally will take care of the old growth also.  There's always forest fires...both intentional (controlled burns) and accidental, due to lightning, careless smoking, etc.  And of course, storms.  Superstorm Sandy knocked down quite a bit of trees, but many other smaller storms come in during the year, producing flooding and wind damage.

jwolfer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 03, 2015, 09:39:02 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 03, 2015, 09:08:00 AM

As close to wilderness you can get on the east coast is about 2-3 hours north of Boston

While there is some old growth in the Pine Barrens also, nature generally will take care of the old growth also.  There's always forest fires...both intentional (controlled burns) and accidental, due to lightning, careless smoking, etc.  And of course, storms.  Superstorm Sandy knocked down quite a bit of trees, but many other smaller storms come in during the year, producing flooding and wind damage.
In colonial times there was some iron mining in pine barrens.. But not much agriculture other than cranberries or blueberries

jbnati27

Bristol VA is closer to several other other state capitals (Charleston WV, Nashville TN, Raleigh NC, Atlanta GA, Frankfort KY, Columbia SC) than it is its own capital of Richmond.

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 03, 2015, 09:32:24 AM
Here are some:

Implied in my location. I'm 3,229 miles in a straight line from there. What is mind-blogging, is that Hamlin ME is also the closest point of the US to the Canary Islands, despite them being located across the ocean from Florida.

And so, presumably, Maine is also the closest state to Africa?

The Nature Boy

Quote from: empirestate on December 03, 2015, 11:21:36 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 03, 2015, 09:32:24 AM
Here are some:

And so, presumably, Maine is also the closest state to Africa?

It is. The closeness that we share with the rest of the world interesting.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jwolfer on December 02, 2015, 11:55:05 PM
Looking at a globe, it is amazing how far north Europe is compared to populated regions of North America. Labrador is same latitude as the UK.

This map really nails it home for me:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

The Nature Boy

You also wouldn't think that the coast of France is as far from Saudi Arabia as Seattle is from Miami.

jp the roadgeek

It's about 150 miles shorter from New York to LA than it is to San Francisco even though I-80 runs directly from NY to SF.

Cumberland, MD is closer to Pittsburgh than Baltimore.

The southernmost point of Canada is on the same latitude as New Britain, CT

Miami is farther west than Buffalo, NY and Pittsburgh despite being a coastal city and Philadelphians referring to Pittsburgh as "The Midwest"

New York City is closer to Hartford and Trenton than to Albany.

Pensacola is 150 miles closer to Houston than to Miami
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bing101

Hempstead New York has a population bigger Detroit but its population is as big as San Francisco.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.