News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

California isn't very densely populated, though (think your miles upon miles of suburbia there, compared to metro NYC, which falls within the circle Chris used), and is also mountainous.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: Chris on February 13, 2021, 04:05:55 PM
Due to international borders it's easy to overlook how densely populated northwestern Europe is.

Southeastern Netherlands is a logistics hotspot, because you can reach nearly 150 million people within a 500 km / 6 hour truck driving radius.
[img snipped]

By comparison, if you drop a point near Philadelphia, you get less than half that in a 500 km  (300 mi) radius: 68 million people.
[img snipped]

Tool: https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm

That's a cool tool!

You're not going to find anywhere in North America with 150 million people in a 500 km radius, but there are plenty of places that can do better than Philadelphia. Here's a few examples:

Binghamton, NY: 84,030,730
Scranton, PA: 82,733,220
Syracuse, NY: 82,542,770
Rochester, NY: 81,752,040

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2021, 06:09:15 PM
California isn't very densely populated, though (think your miles upon miles of suburbia there, compared to metro NYC, which falls within the circle Chris used), and is also mountainous.

California's suburbia (including both LA and San Fran here) is much more dense than NYC's suburbia. NYC suburbs in places like Rockland County, NY, and Somerset County, NJ feel rural by comparison to anything in California.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2021, 06:35:28 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2021, 06:09:15 PM

California's suburbia (including both LA and San Fran here) is much more dense than NYC's suburbia. NYC suburbs in places like Rockland County, NY, and Somerset County, NJ feel rural by comparison to anything in California.

Not the point–you won't find anything as densely populated as Manhattan in California, is what I'm saying. And even if you drop it on something like downtown San Francisco, you're not going to have a Boston or Philadelphia in the circle too.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2021, 06:43:51 PM

Not the point–you won't find anything as densely populated as Manhattan in California, is what I'm saying. And even if you drop it on something like downtown San Francisco, you're not going to have a Boston or Philadelphia in the circle too.

Maybe you won't find any single area as dense as Manhattan, but the overall density of the LA/San Fran areas would be higher.

To the original point about California being mountainous, I don't think we'd be using anything in California as part of the zone of 150 million... it would presumably be the East Coast only.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Chris on February 13, 2021, 04:05:55 PM
Due to international borders it's easy to overlook how densely populated northwestern Europe is.

Southeastern Netherlands is a logistics hotspot, because you can reach nearly 150 million people within a 500 km / 6 hour truck driving radius.

By comparison, if you drop a point near Philadelphia, you get less than half that in a 500 km  (300 mi) radius: 68 million people.

Tool: https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm
I played around with the tool a bit to see where the most populous 500 km radius would be. Got a couple of results in China above 300 million:
Center in Hefei, Anhui: 360.86 million
Center in Anqing, Anhui: 349.41 million
Center in Jinan, Shandong: 342.69 million

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2021, 07:37:31 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 13, 2021, 06:43:51 PM

Maybe you won't find any single area as dense as Manhattan, but the overall density of the LA/San Fran areas would be higher.

I'll merely present the data.  Y'all can interpret it.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2021, 09:12:16 PM
I'll merely present the data.  Y'all can interpret it.

[snipped]

That... doesn't really change anything I thought originally. No denying that New York, the city, and its immediate surroundings, are extremely dense. Some suburbs are plenty dense, but that's less true the further afield you travel.

The problem - and this is an issue with some of CA's counties in general - is that San Bernardino and Riverside Counties have tremendous populations crammed into a small area and then thousands of empty miles that exist only to drive the density figure into the basement.

hotdogPi

Smallest congressional districts by area, after Pennsylvania redistricting but before North Carolina redistricting:

1-9: NY-13, 10, 15, 12, 09, 07, 14, 08, 06
10: CA-12 (San Francisco)
11: CA-34 (Los Angeles)
12: NY-05
13: IL-04 (Chicago)
14: PA-03 (Philadelphia)
15: NJ-08 (more NYC)
16: CA-37 (Los Angeles)
17: CA-40 (Los Angeles)
18: PA-02 (Philadelphia)
19: MA-07 (Boston)
20: NY-11 (Staten Island, the least urban of the five boroughs)
... (list continues; 21-24 are all in the LA area)

All top 9 and 12 of the top 20 are in the NYC area.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2021, 09:49:30 PM
The problem - and this is an issue with some of CA's counties in general - is that San Bernardino and Riverside Counties have tremendous populations crammed into a small area and then thousands of empty miles that exist only to drive the density figure into the basement.

Yes, believe me, that was always on my mind while compiling the data.  But I didn't know how else to approach the problem without using numbers for every single individual town.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kenarmy

Greenland is further North, South, East, and West than Iceland.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

JayhawkCO

Here's a couple. 

Los Angeles to Sydney is longer than San Francisco to Sydney.

And then this map which I find super cool.

https://twitter.com/amazingmap/status/1294654053415354368

Chris

michravera

Quote from: kphoger on February 14, 2021, 10:12:47 AM

Yes, believe me, that was always on my mind while compiling the data.  But I didn't know how else to approach the problem without using numbers for every single individual town.

I'm not going to get into the "My Daddy Can Whoop Your Daddy" argument, but Calexico and San Diego (both in California) are northern tips of HUGE Mexican icebergs.

kphoger

Quote from: michravera on February 17, 2021, 04:59:35 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 14, 2021, 10:12:47 AM

I'm not going to get into the "My Daddy Can Whoop Your Daddy" argument, but Calexico and San Diego (both in California) are northern tips of HUGE Mexican icebergs.

San Diego can hardly be called the "tip" of a huge Mexican iceberg.

Tijuana proper = 1.8 million pop.
Tijuana metro = 2.2 million pop.

San Diego proper = 1.3 million pop.
San Diego metro = 3.3 million pop.
Male pronouns, please.

chays

Mexico is extends further north than Florida. This was a bit surprising to me but I guess it really shouldn't be.

What I found interesting is that Mexico almost extends further north than Louisiana. The difference in latitude is about 20 miles.

If Mexico had been 20 miles further north, it would have been further north, south, east and west, of Louisiana.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: chays on March 29, 2021, 11:14:08 PM
Mexico is extends further north than Florida. This was a bit surprising to me but I guess it really shouldn't be.

What I found interesting is that Mexico almost extends further north than Louisiana. The difference in latitude is about 20 miles.

If Mexico had been 20 miles further north, it would have been further north, south, east and west, of Louisiana.
If Mexico kept it's old land it would extend as far north as the Midwest and Pennsylvania.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CNGL-Leudimin

And almost to the latitude where I live. I'm in Aragon at a latitude which also passes through Oregon. Or was it vice-versa? xD
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

GenExpwy

The north slope of Alaska is closer to Reykjavík, Iceland, than to any other national capital.

GaryV

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2021, 12:07:20 AM
Quote from: chays on March 29, 2021, 11:14:08 PM

If Mexico kept it's old land it would extend as far north as the Midwest and Pennsylvania.

And Canada.

Scott5114

hbelkins

Is that from Terrible Maps?

(And what's the story about the purple blotch in Europe? I've obviously missed something.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 09, 2021, 01:55:45 AM
Countries where the Head of Government is from Delaware

I know this is opening a can of worms, but where I'm from we would say that Joe Biden is from Pennsylvania.  In West Virginia, "growing up" is the most number of years between ages 6 and 12.  He was 11 years old when they moved to Wilmington, Delaware.

Scott5114

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 09, 2021, 12:25:07 PM
I know this is opening a can of worms, but where I'm from we would say that Joe Biden is from Pennsylvania.  In West Virginia, "growing up" is the most number of years between ages 6 and 12.  He was 11 years old when they moved to Wilmington, Delaware.

Sure, but he spent 36 years as a US Senator representing Delaware, so he's associated far more with Delaware than Pennsylvania, even if he spent his childhood in Pennsylvania.

empirestate

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 09, 2021, 12:25:07 PM

The worm I'm most intrigued by is that there's a regional variation on what it means to be "from" somewhere. What are the specifics of this variation?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.