News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

De frewayising the Sheridan

Started by Otto Yamamoto, March 20, 2017, 09:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Next thing you know, all the neighbors will be complaining about all the engine braking from the tractor trailers stopping at the lights.

froggie

I'd complain too in that case.  Truckers drastically overuse Jake Brakes.  They are intended for emergencies, but way too many truckers use them as routine.

fmendes

Quote from: froggie on November 21, 2020, 10:00:29 AM
I'd complain too in that case.  Truckers drastically overuse Jake Brakes.  They are intended for emergencies, but way too many truckers use them as routine.
I'm a truck driver myself and especially on the Sheridan with all the traffic light the Jake brake is needed and the Jake is not intended for emergency use only its to save the truck brakes because on streets like the Sheridan or sunrise highway in Nassau there's something i like to call the sunrise shuffle and u getting caught at every light it causes the brake to overheat and squeal and sometimes catch fire and when brake overheat they are a lot less effective and it can turn into a scary situation and if u don't know what ur doing and ur brakes overheat and u continue to drive u can seriously hurt someone so that's why we use the Jake its either that or we hurt and/or kill someone "the Jake works by using the truck engine and adjust the valve timing which creates the distinct popping sound the which basically turns the engine into a massive air compressor slowing the truck down from the air build up in the cylinders sort like if u put ur finger over the end of a syringe and pull the syringe it will have resistance and when u release ur finger it pops same theory and some of the new garbage emissions systems cut down the noise from the Jake and some eliminate the noise'' but in all seriousness u shouldn't have bought a house next to the Sheridan.

jeffandnicole

I have regen braking on my little Honda Insight...and thus better understand how jake braking works. They really are an asset to be used more often. If it wasn't for the overly loud noise it makes, it'll be more widely accepted.

Henry

If I was a betting man, I'd say that everyone in Syracuse has their eyes on the new Sheridan Boulevard, as a basis for their so-called community grid (which I'm not a huge fan of). Hopefully they're taking notes right now so that they'll have a better idea on how to proceed with the I-81 replacement.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

fmendes

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 24, 2020, 10:47:20 AM

I have regen braking on my little Honda Insight...and thus better understand how jake braking works. They really are an asset to be used more often. If it wasn't for the overly loud noise it makes, it'll be more widely accepted.
i would never think a honda would have a engine brake cool

The Ghostbuster

I wouldn't hold my breath on that prediction, Henry. This seems to be an area of society where people never learn from their mistakes.

oscar

My Prius has a quiet regen braking system. But it's not a substitute for engine braking (including downshifting into first gear, if possible -- the Prius has only an "engine braking" mode, not a real first gear). When I drove it to the Pikes Peak summit in 2015, on the descent the regen braking didn't keep my regular brakes cool enough to avoid a stay in the "penalty box" at the brake check station, to let the brakes cool off enough to safely resume my descent. There were other vehicles in the "penalty box" with me, it wasn't a problem just with my car.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Plutonic Panda

I'm assuming there are mufflers that somehow prevent that noise and I only know this because I've seen signs in Edmond(OK) that state engine brake mufflers are prohibited.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: oscar on November 25, 2020, 01:53:41 PM

My Prius has a quiet regen braking system. But it's not a substitute for engine braking (including downshifting into first gear, if possible -- the Prius has only an "engine braking" mode, not a real first gear). When I drove it to the Pikes Peak summit in 2015, on the descent the regen braking didn't keep my regular brakes cool enough to avoid a stay in the "penalty box" at the brake check station, to let the brakes cool off enough to safely resume my descent. There were other vehicles in the "penalty box" with me, it wasn't a problem just with my car.
I realized I didn't make that comment clear. Trucks make the loud noise. The Insight's regen braking has no noise whatsoever.

SteveG1988

Here's the thing. The jake brake on my truck is practically silent, the problem is unmuffled jake brakes. Where it sounds like an AR15 going off in the distance. a lot of drivers just get rid of their mufflers on their owner-op trucks, and send the exhaust right out the top. On mine all you hear is the turbo go woooosssshhhh and the engine revs incease as the truck slows down. You're supposed to use it at all times since it's practically silent,  just a little louder than the engine slowing down normally. the X15 by cummins afaik uses a turbo brake. the Detroit DD15 just sounds like an engine revving up and is also practically quiet. all the trucks i've operated have "weed burner" exhausts that direct it underneath the cab and into the fairing area.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.