News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Gauging interest in a Jamestown/Salamanca, NY meet for Springtime 2018

Started by Roadgeek Adam, March 06, 2018, 10:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

So, I'm stuck in Buffalo still, not something I really expected, and this meet will be dependent on where I am working, if I am working, but I wanted to gauge interest in the section of NY that has not had a full-fledged road meet of any kind, the Jamestown/Salamanca area, with Bradford as well.

I have enough that I can show off, such as the 9 Mile River Rd Bridge, current and abandoned state highways, the Limestone Run Road trip into Allegany State Park, etc. There's lots of history and unvisited in roadgeek meet terms. I will get more details as I can place them.

However, this is just an interest thread. My preference would be May some time in 2018.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

As long as I get to walk on an illegal alignment or a bridge that is falling down.

cl94

Following because I'm definitely interested. Can stay for free with the 'rents and combine it with some county highpointing.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

webny99

Quote from: Alps on March 06, 2018, 10:26:04 PM
As long as I get to walk on an illegal alignment or a bridge that is falling down.

Kinzua Bridge is in the area. It isn't in the act of falling, but half of it already fell and you can walk on the remaining half. It's one of PA's better state parks, IMO, especially in the fall, but spring works too.

Roadgeek Adam

It is, but that's a long trip away from even Bradford. I've been there 3 times, once with Alps.   
Adam Seth Moss

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 06, 2018, 10:34:20 PM
It is, but that's a long trip away from even Bradford. I've been there 3 times, once with Alps.   

I don't know much about typical standards for roadmeets, but it's only 40-45 minutes. That seems doable. Of course, it is further than that from points west, such as Jamestown.

I've been there twice - once as part of a day trip to Allegany State Park and the other as part of a day trip to Altoona, PA. On both occasions we managed to fit it in to already-packed schedules and on both occasions it was well worth it.

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

cl94

It's at least an hour RT from anywhere else on the route. Let's assume 1:30 RT from Bradford. Tack on at least half an hour at the bridge. That's 2+ hours we could be spending seeing other things. While definitely cool, there's often a list of "places to visit on your way to/from" associated with meets. Kinzua should go on that list, because there's definitely enough in the Jamestown-Salamanca-Bradford triangle for a full afternoon.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on March 06, 2018, 10:47:07 PM
It's at least an hour RT from anywhere else on the route. Let's assume 1:30 RT from Bradford. Tack on at least half an hour at the bridge. That's 2+ hours we could be spending seeing other things. While definitely cool, there's often a list of "places to visit on your way to/from" associated with meets. Kinzua should go on that list, because there's definitely enough in the Jamestown-Salamanca-Bradford triangle for a full afternoon.
If there was a cool route to go out there, that's different. Many meets have featured a long drive in one direction with things to see along the way. Pikesville, KY comes to mind.

Otto Yamamoto

cl94

Quote from: Alps on March 06, 2018, 10:55:39 PM
Quote from: cl94 on March 06, 2018, 10:47:07 PM
If there was a cool route to go out there, that's different. Many meets have featured a long drive in one direction with things to see along the way. Pikesville, KY comes to mind.
Certainly. But there isn't much to see around there. Unless you think oil wells are interesting.

webny99

All routes to Kinzua are cool, IMO. I'm neutral since I won't be attending, but was prompted to at least mention Kinzua to fufill Steve's requirement  :-D

I agree that there's plenty of other stuff to see without even coming near it. The Allegany region is great for roads and scenery.

jpi

I am interested but doubt I could make it if its in May, especially since Steph and I will be in central PA the last week of April plus Brandon has his meet set for May 19 which Steph and I plan on going to, but you never know with my schedule  ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I could complete my quest to cross all Ohio River bridges on my way to or from this meet. So I'd definitely be interested.

Hope things are better on the employment front.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

I'm interested, but I would not be able to do May.  My big roadtrip down to Florida is that month.
Perhaps in summer?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cl94

Quote from: Brandon on March 07, 2018, 01:03:40 PM
June or July might be a better time, IMHO.

Agree with June. The current meet calendar is pretty heavy before Memorial Day, but there isn't much of anything after then. I couldn't make July because of my schedule, but my presence is not necessary for a NY meet to occur.

Roadgeek Adam

The big issue is I don't want to go to July. I want to keep some decent weather.

It all depends on my employment status.
Adam Seth Moss

cu2010

July weather isn't decent?

Anyways, I spent a summer down in Jamestown some time ago...did like the area the short time I was there. Haven't been back since. So I'd possibly be interested, if the timing worked out. Would also provide an opportunity to pick up a few counties in the Southern Tier I'm missing, along with clinch I-86.

FWIW, June would be better for me.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Roadgeek Adam

July is hot, hot and hot.

I will support the first weekend of June.
Adam Seth Moss

vdeane

First weekend of June wouldn't be great for me (my vacation for my Florida trip is May 18-29), but thinking about it more, I could probably do May 5 if I had to, which allows a weekend between it and both the CSVT meet and the Florida trip.

Looks like the main meets close by are Aurora-Napierville on May 19 (conveniently when I'm gone anyways), and Alaska on the 29th.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Adam, I'll let you get a date picked for this one before I move forward with doing something in the Portsmouth, Ohio area. Like you, I want to avoid July because it's hotter and more humid here than there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on March 07, 2018, 09:06:13 PM
July is hot, hot and hot.

I will support the first weekend of June.

It's July in New York, not Mississippi.  It's not that hot nor humid.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Roadgeek Adam

Meets in the heat are not my thing. I know it's not the same heat, but it's still hot.

Regardless, I'm in preference of May 5.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeek Adam

Alright, so one final gauge.

I heavily prefer May 5 as the date. I have had some job possibilites pick up. I really cannot commit to any later.

I get June would be better attended, but I'm not sure just what kind of time in June I'd have. July is not happening.
Adam Seth Moss

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.