News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

UDOT testing new road markings

Started by US71, March 12, 2020, 12:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

howlincoyote2k1

While this is sorely needed, I wish UDOT also added recessed pavement reflectors. Parts of California and Arizona use them and it makes it so much easier to see where the lanes are at night.

US71

Quote from: howlincoyote2k1 on March 13, 2020, 07:32:36 AM
While this is sorely needed, I wish UDOT also added recessed pavement reflectors. Parts of California and Arizona use them and it makes it so much easier to see where the lanes are at night.

Does Utah get much snow? Recessed reflectors could be covered up in a snowstorm
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: US71 on March 13, 2020, 10:19:31 AM

Yes. Except for back like 10 years ago it fell frequently a couple inches at a time throughout winter. Now (*cough* global warming *cough*) falling much less frequently but at really extreme heights, so IDK if reflectors still would work in UT...are there any other places in the Mountain West similar to UT with reflectors? Because I don't think Colorado's considered them either, and while Las Vegas has them, I don't recall Reno or Carson City having them at all.

roadfro

Quote from: BigManFromAFRICA88 on March 13, 2020, 12:52:11 PM

Yes. Except for back like 10 years ago it fell frequently a couple inches at a time throughout winter. Now (*cough* global warming *cough*) falling much less frequently but at really extreme heights, so IDK if reflectors still would work in UT...are there any other places in the Mountain West similar to UT with reflectors? Because I don't think Colorado's considered them either, and while Las Vegas has them, I don't recall Reno or Carson City having them at all.

Raised pavement markings are not common in Nevada outside NDOT District 1 (southern Nevada), and except for a couple one-offs at some rural spot applications, are not really seen anywhere north of the Las Vegas urban limits.

I know of one location in Reno, Nevada that had recessed reflectors in the pavement: The I-80/Keystone Avenue interchange. Recessed reflectors were used in conjunction with painted lines to guide left turns through the SPUI. My hunch is that these were used for extra guidance given this is only second SPUI constructed in northern Nevada, and only used because the SPUI intersection is below the freeway (so the reflectors wouldn't be covered by snow). The intersection was repaved as part of the recent I-80 Reno West project, and the recessed reflectors no longer exist.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US 89

From what I've observed through the years, it will snow a few inches several times over the course of a winter, with maybe 3 storms a year where it snows over 6 inches. I'm not sure I've noticed a decline in snow frequency at low elevations, especially because this kind of thing is so variable from year to year.

As for reflectors: you could probably get away with them in the lower elevations of Washington or Kane County, but I wouldn't use them elsewhere in the state.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: roadfro on March 14, 2020, 02:48:57 PM
Raised pavement markings are not common in Nevada outside NDOT District 1 (southern Nevada), and except for a couple one-offs at some rural spot applications, are not really seen anywhere north of the Las Vegas urban limits.

I know of one location in Reno, Nevada that had recessed reflectors in the pavement: The I-80/Keystone Avenue interchange. Recessed reflectors were used in conjunction with painted lines to guide left turns through the SPUI. My hunch is that these were used for extra guidance given this is only second SPUI constructed in northern Nevada, and only used because the SPUI intersection is below the freeway (so the reflectors wouldn't be covered by snow). The intersection was repaved as part of the recent I-80 Reno West project, and the recessed reflectors no longer exist.

This is much along the lines of what I thought. However, I'm actually optimistic about this glow-in-the-dark technology, especially if they combine it with the glass beads they already use.

Quote from: US 89 on March 14, 2020, 04:46:23 PM

From what I've observed through the years, it will snow a few inches several times over the course of a winter, with maybe 3 storms a year where it snows over 6 inches. I'm not sure I've noticed a decline in snow frequency at low elevations, especially because this kind of thing is so variable from year to year.

As for reflectors: you could probably get away with them in the lower elevations of Washington or Kane County, but I wouldn't use them elsewhere in the state.

Just realized that elevation wasn't exactly the term I was going for, but still a better idea to use them down south around St. George like you said. I was thinking more depth? I was more trying to convey the fact that it snows much more rarely now, but when it does, you better crack your snowblower on and budget 3 hours cause you're gonna be clearing damn near 2 feet of that sh*t.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.