News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 10, 2021, 09:15:33 AM
2.  Next Wednesday the I-95 SB local/express lanes through the US 17/17 Bus and VA 3 interchanges will open, though some lane closures for finishing work will still occur, in both sets of lanes, some of which look painful.
Important to distinguish these lanes, which are through / local non-tolled general purpose lanes, with the reversible express / HO/T lanes being constructed immediately north of the project.

As far as lane closures, it calls for reducing the through lanes from 3 to 2 near VA-3... I feel that will cause some horrible congestion until it's complete.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 10, 2021, 10:45:55 AM
2.  Next Wednesday the I-95 SB local/express lanes through the US 17/17 Bus and VA 3 interchanges will open, though some lane closures for finishing work will still occur, in both sets of lanes, some of which look painful.
Important to distinguish these lanes, which are through / local non-tolled general purpose lanes, with the reversible express / HO/T lanes being constructed immediately north of the project.

As far as lane closures, it calls for reducing the through lanes from 3 to 2 near VA-3... I feel that will cause some horrible congestion until it's complete.
Ugh.... 120,000 vpd yes.

Mapmikey

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 10, 2021, 01:24:40 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on October 10, 2021, 10:45:55 AM

Ugh.... 120,000 vpd yes.

The AADT of I-95 SB just past VA 3 is 64k (2019).  However, under the new setup, the contributions from US 17 in both directions to I-95 SB and VA 3 in both directions won't be in the lanes with the closed lane.

the two US 17 ramps to I-95 SB AADT is 24.4k (2019) [this traffic is using just one ramp during the construction]
the two VA 3 ramps to I-95 SB AADT add to 11.1k (2019)

So the traffic actually subject to the lane closure is more like 29k, which is not nothing, but maybe not gridlock (one would think if gridlock were going to be the result they would have phased it differently).  For comparison, this is about the same AADT as I-81 NB through the Harrisonburg area...

tolbs17

1995hoo

I note they misidentified VA-3 as US-3 at one point during that video.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jmiles32

Next Wednesday the I-95 SB local/express lanes through the US 17/17 Bus and VA 3 interchanges will open, though some lane closures for finishing work will still occur, in both sets of lanes, some of which look painful.  Everything should be fully open in mainline and the C/D lanes in December.  This should alleviate the backup that stems from a lot of traffic coming from US 17 SB to use I-95 SB.  A good overview of the interim patterns until Decmber can be found here

It would not surprise me in the least if these C/D lanes will need to be extended to beyond US 1-17 at Exit 126, especially if they ever provide access to Harrison Rd or VA 208.

It will be very interesting to see whether or not a new daily southbound bottleneck forms south of VA-3 once this project is largely complete. Can't imagine how 6 lanes merging down into 3 will work out well on a road that has 64,000 southbound AADT. While a project to add a fourth southbound GP lane from southern end of this project to Exit 126 (US-1/US-17) was identified as part of the recent I-95 statewide study, it has not been prioritized for funding yet. Perhaps a new daily backup here would actually increase this project's chances of being funded.

Ideally, this glorified C/D lanes set up would indeed be extended further south and would then IMO become actual Local and Thru lanes similar to the I-270 and I-495 ones in the DC area. In addition to Exit 126 being improved, there would be new "Local" exits at Celebrate Virginia Parkway (Exit 131), Harrison Road (Exit 128), and maybe something even at a new road south of Exit 126 as that area continues to develop/sprawl (these new interchange spots were all studied by FAMPO about a decade ago). While having an interchange at VA-208 would be nice, it would probably be too close to the current Exit 126 (IMO there should've been two separate interchanges at VA-208 and US-17 instead of just one at US-1/US-17 when I-95 was originally built through the Fredericksburg area.)  At a minimum (which is most likely due to lack of funding) you will see I-95 widening to Exit 126 funded in the next couple of years. However, if the Fredericksburg area does ever decide to create a dedicated a regional transportation authority (which so far they have at least considered due to recent smart scale frustrations), then maybe you will see a larger C/D lane extension and/or a new interchange or two. IMO a big contributor to why traffic in Fredericksburg region is so bad is because of a lack of interchanges. Essentially all local traffic is forced to use either congested US-1 or even worse VA-3 which is why both of those interchanges are being upgraded. A Harrison road interchange in particular would really help serve the growing area west of I-95 and take a lot of traffic off of VA-3. The existing Harrison Road bridge is very close to needing to be replaced and thus presents a great opportunity for the state to account for putting an interchange there as a part of that future project. A similar approach to what was done at Exit 140 (where Courthouse Road not only got an upgraded interchange with I-95, but was also widened a couple of miles to the west) would be awesome and is not nearly as close to fictional territory as fully extending the C/D lanes south while also adding a bunch of new interchanges. All in all, I-95 traffic patterns after the Southbound Rappahannock River Crossing Project is fully complete will certainly be interesting to watch. 
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

tolbs17

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 10, 2021, 06:56:27 PM
People say "route", so it's not a huge deal. I just say the number highway. 95, 17, 3, 40, etc.

odditude

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 10, 2021, 08:35:04 PM
People say "route", so it's not a huge deal. I just say the number highway. 95, 17, 3, 40, etc.

misses like that are a flag for lack of attention to detail. for projects like this, it makes one wonder what other details were missed.

Alps

Quote from: odditude on October 11, 2021, 04:20:40 PM

misses like that are a flag for lack of attention to detail. for projects like this, it makes one wonder what other details were missed.
speaking as a traffic engineer and sign designer, there are very few firms that have competent sign designers and you quickly learn which they are.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Alps on October 12, 2021, 07:29:49 PM

speaking as a traffic engineer and sign designer, there are very few firms that have competent sign designers and you quickly learn which they are.

It's a VDOT video...VDOT has also posted a US 3 shield in the field not that far from I-95 within the last 10 years (since fixed).

The BGS renderings of VA 3 are correct which is all that really matters anyway...

Alps

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 12, 2021, 07:35:21 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 12, 2021, 07:29:49 PM

It's a VDOT video...VDOT has also posted a US 3 shield in the field not that far from I-95 within the last 10 years (since fixed).

The BGS renderings of VA 3 are correct which is all that really matters anyway...

It speaks to the rarity of good sign designers in general, public or private.

plain

Ummmm... I believe something is missing from this BGS on I-95 SB

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jVAq91wXsNtDG3np7
Newark born, Richmond bred

kernals12

Have they looked at upgrading the PW Parkway to freeway standards from 95 to 66?

A quick google maps search shows that right now, at 8:43 AM EST, the height of the morning rush hour, the fastest way to get from Fredericksburg to Tysons is using 95 and the Beltway. So a new freeway could offer an attractive alternative, and relieve congestion on those stretches of highway.

1995hoo

Quote from: kernals12 on October 13, 2021, 08:45:14 AM
Have they looked at upgrading the PW Parkway to freeway standards from 95 to 66?

A quick google maps search shows that right now, at 8:43 AM EST, the height of the morning rush hour, the fastest way to get from Fredericksburg to Tysons is using 95 and the Beltway. So a new freeway could offer an attractive alternative, and relieve congestion on those stretches of highway.

Seems highly unlikely ever to happen, mostly due to the amount of development along that road in the vicinity of Potomac Mills Mall (the end closer to I-95). If you wanted a freeway route from I-95 to I-66, Route 234 would be a better option than the Prince William Parkway, because it would be less difficult to upgrade, because it makes more logical sense in terms of a direct route for serving traffic coming from the south (or heading south), and because the Prince William Parkway ultimately joins Route 234 anyway. Look at a map and compare the route for traffic coming up from Fredericksburg via I-95 and Route 234 versus I-95 and the Prince William Parkway. If you go all the way to I-66, you wind up at the same place, but the latter route is much further out of the way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kernals12

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 13, 2021, 09:36:33 AM

Seems highly unlikely ever to happen, mostly due to the amount of development along that road in the vicinity of Potomac Mills Mall (the end closer to I-95). If you wanted a freeway route from I-95 to I-66, Route 234 would be a better option than the Prince William Parkway, because it would be less difficult to upgrade, because it makes more logical sense in terms of a direct route for serving traffic coming from the south (or heading south), and because the Prince William Parkway ultimately joins Route 234 anyway. Look at a map and compare the route for traffic coming up from Fredericksburg via I-95 and Route 234 versus I-95 and the Prince William Parkway. If you go all the way to I-66, you wind up at the same place, but the latter route is much further out of the way.

I'm envisioning 234 and 28 becoming part of an Outer Beltway.

ahj2000

Quote from: kernals12 on October 13, 2021, 10:31:25 AM

234 is kind of far out but is is built already....

kernals12

Quote from: ahj2000 on October 13, 2021, 10:59:15 AM

And it connects to VA 28, which already is mostly a freeway and goes by Dulles Airport.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kernals12 on October 13, 2021, 12:00:44 PM
And it connects to VA 28, which already is mostly a freeway and goes by Dulles Airport.

Ouch!  Even 20 years ago, it was not an easy trip to take VA-234 to VA-28 and fight your way through Manassas.  It was much easier to take the Prince Bill (now VA-294) to Liberia Avenue and bypass around the east side of Manassas.  I can imagine that anything leading to VA-28 these days is quite slow.  (Back in those days, I was very familiar with both routes and knew when it would work out timewise, so I still used VA-234 to/from VA-28 quite a bit). 

odditude

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 13, 2021, 02:15:49 PM

Ouch!  Even 20 years ago, it was not an easy trip to take VA-234 to VA-28 and fight your way through Manassas.  It was much easier to take the Prince Bill (now VA-294) to Liberia Avenue and bypass around the east side of Manassas.  I can imagine that anything leading to VA-28 these days is quite slow.  (Back in those days, I was very familiar with both routes and knew when it would work out timewise, so I still used VA-234 to/from VA-28 quite a bit).

remember, VA 28 is only a freeway north of I-66 - and any plans to extend the freeway portion south of Fairfax County or create a freeway bypass on the east side of Manassas have been repeatedly shot down.

kernals12

Quote from: odditude on October 13, 2021, 06:32:37 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 13, 2021, 02:15:49 PM

remember, VA 28 is only a freeway north of I-66 - and any plans to extend the freeway portion south of Fairfax County or create a freeway bypass on the east side of Manassas have been repeatedly shot down.

But they're going ahead with a western bypass.

froggie

That's not set in stone either, nevermind that what's being proposed doesn't tie directly into 66...

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on October 13, 2021, 09:03:13 PM
That's not set in stone either, nevermind that what's being proposed doesn't tie directly into 66...
And it's not a freeway design to begin with.

ARMOURERERIC

Should their not be a 3rd control city on that BGS for a 3 west destination.

kernals12

Quote from: froggie on October 13, 2021, 09:03:13 PM
They're widening VA 28 north of the planned bypass to 6 lanes.

We saw this play out with VA 7. First they widen it from 2 lanes to a 4 lane divided highway, then they widen it to 6 lanes, then they replace signalized intersections with interchanges and before you know it, your country road is now a freeway.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kernals12 on October 13, 2021, 07:29:34 PM
But they're going ahead with a western bypass.

Ever heard of the Montgomery County, Maryland Agricultural Reserve?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.