News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-5 project in northern Kern County

Started by DTComposer, June 25, 2021, 12:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTComposer

I'm wondering if anyone has information on the project on I-5 between Twisselman Road and the Kern/Kings County line? I couldn't find reference to anything on the Caltrans District 6 site or on CAHighways.org.

They've entirely removed the southbound lanes (down to dirt) and moved those lanes temporarily adjacent to the northbound lanes.

I ask because: a) if there ever was a time to widen the roadway to three lanes this would be it; and b) the temporary southbound lanes seem to be durable enough to handle medium-term traffic (I have to think this project is taking at least a year), so how much more work would it have taken to make those lanes permanent (adding them to the northbound lanes after the project is complete)? Are they just going to tear up all that asphalt after the project is done?

It's only about five miles, but I've always thought that placing some three-lane sections every 30 miles or so, then placing some restrictions on truck passing outside of these sections (basically treating these sections like truck climbing lanes) would greatly help the congestion on I-5, and certainly cost less than than widening ~250 miles, and those sections could be expanded/connected over time.

SeriesE

The temp lanes doesn't seem very durable; it was very wavy when I drove through there last month.

It was interesting to see in person that the current I-5 right of way under the bridges can handle 8 lanes though!

Max Rockatansky

This project has been ongoing for awhile and I believe was tied into the reconstruction of the I-5/CA 46 interchange in Lost Hills.  The detour route for this project was particularly nasty as it was routed on CA 46, CA 33 and CA 41 from Lost Hills to Kettleman City. 

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 25, 2021, 03:59:51 PM
This project has been ongoing for awhile and I believe was tied into the reconstruction of the I-5/CA 46 interchange in Lost Hills.  The detour route for this project was particularly nasty as it was routed on CA 46, CA 33 and CA 41 from Lost Hills to Kettleman City. 

Re the 5/46 interchange reconstruction:  are plans readily available for the new interchange configuration; I'm guessing that this is being done due to the widening/twinning of CA 46.  The median width of I-5 has always had the room to accommodate two additional lanes per direction; that hasn't occurred to date partially because parallel CA 99 accommodates much of the locally originating or terminating commercial traffic (largely agricultural products or supplies). 

ClassicHasClass

Yes, the CA 46 widening is exactly why (and a long time coming).

SeriesE

I thought the I-5/CA-46 interchange was already complete? I didn't see any construction at the interchange, now a parclo instead of a diamond before.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SeriesE on June 28, 2021, 06:48:30 AM

I thought the I-5/CA-46 interchange was already complete? I didn't see any construction at the interchange, now a parclo instead of a diamond before.

I believe it wrapped up awhile back but the repairs to I-5 were pretty much just an extension of that project.  It's been awhile since I've been down that way, I try to avoid using I-5 in the Central Valley unless I have no other choice.

Fixed quote tag. –Roadfro

cahwyguy

Quote from: DTComposer on June 25, 2021, 12:49:24 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has information on the project on I-5 between Twisselman Road and the Kern/Kings County line? I couldn't find reference to anything on the Caltrans District 6 site or on CAHighways.org.

They've entirely removed the southbound lanes (down to dirt) and moved those lanes temporarily adjacent to the northbound lanes.

I ask because: a) if there ever was a time to widen the roadway to three lanes this would be it; and b) the temporary southbound lanes seem to be durable enough to handle medium-term traffic (I have to think this project is taking at least a year), so how much more work would it have taken to make those lanes permanent (adding them to the northbound lanes after the project is complete)? Are they just going to tear up all that asphalt after the project is done?

It's only about five miles, but I've always thought that placing some three-lane sections every 30 miles or so, then placing some restrictions on truck passing outside of these sections (basically treating these sections like truck climbing lanes) would greatly help the congestion on I-5, and certainly cost less than than widening ~250 miles, and those sections could be expanded/connected over time.

If it was widening, it would have been on my pages. I typically note widenings. Most likely, it is pavement rehabilitation and reconstruction with no widening. Take each side down to dirt and rebuild the roadway. Not of interest to my pages because it doesn't widen or change the route. Did you check http://rebuildingca.ca.gov/ ... it's likely on the project list. If not, it should be in either the STIP or the SHOPP on the Caltrans site.

Daniel
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.