News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

R.I.P Dennis Murphy

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 19, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Dennis Murphy, who was involved in the creation of the ABA, WHA and World Team Tennis passed away at the age of 94.
https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/31825705/dennis-murphy-co-founder-pro-sports-leagues-dies-94

QuoteLOS ANGELES -- Dennis Murphy, a sports entrepreneur who co-founded professional leagues in basketball, hockey, tennis and roller hockey that featured innovations in marketing, rules and playing style, died Thursday. He was 94.

Murphy died of congestive heart failure at an assisted living facility in the Orange County city of Placentia, California, according to his son, Dennis Jr.

The elder Murphy co-founded the American Basketball Association, World Hockey Association, World Team Tennis and Roller Hockey International.

Each of the leagues used groundbreaking marketing and promotional tactics, new rules, and a style of play that forced the evolution of already established leagues.

"He just always had a vision for sports," Dennis Jr. said. "He was kind of like the underdog, so he always wanted to bring a new league in."

The ABA began in 1967 and lasted until its merger with the National Basketball Association in 1976, leading to four ABA teams joining the NBA and the introduction of the 3-point shot in 1979. Other ABA concepts pioneered by Murphy included the league's red-white-and-blue basketball, a slam dunk contest and team cheerleaders.

"Dennis Murphy was a close friend of my father, Dr. Jerry Buss," said Jeanie Buss, co-owner of the Los Angeles Lakers. "Dennis always had new ideas he would brainstorm with my dad. He was a creative visionary and many of the innovations in the NBA -- like the 3-point shot and slam dunk contest -- came from the ABA."

The WHA existed from 1972-79 and although it wasn't the first league to challenge the National Hockey League's dominance, it was easily the most successful.

Nearly 70 players jumped from the NHL to the WHA in its first year, led by Bobby Hull, who signed an unprecedented $1 million contract. Gordie Howe soon followed.

"The players really liked my dad a lot," Dennis Jr. said, citing their richer contracts. "I don't know if the owners really liked him."

The WHA also signed European players, paving the way for a new era in North American hockey. Hall of Famers Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier began their careers in the WHA. Murphy served as commissioner for three years.

He co-founded World Team Tennis in 1973 with Larry King, Fred Barman and Jordan Kaiser, and league play began in 1974 with 16 teams, a four-color tennis court, and teams made up of two men and two women. It was the first pro sports league in which men and women competed on equal terms. It lasted until 1978, but was later resurrected and continues today.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.