News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road features you wish are used more in your state

Started by SkyPesos, July 23, 2021, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 12, 2021, 01:36:21 AM
Quote from: jbnv on October 12, 2021, 01:05:35 AM
90 in metro New Orleans (with the Westbank Expressway signed as the business route!?!);
I was confused about that the first time looking at it. Primary route on an arterial and a freeway as a business route? That is pretty much the complete opposite of what a Business route is supposed to be. Either change the banner to "Bypass", or switch the 90 and 90 Business designations.

One of these years it will become part of I-49. Currently the limited-access part of the expressway has a secret I-910 designation but that won't help the several miles of the route that are currently not limited-access (short of a Wyoming I-180 sort of exemption or trick).
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on October 11, 2021, 11:09:17 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 11, 2021, 09:02:37 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on October 11, 2021, 03:14:48 PM
We are getting rid of them cause they cause confusion to drivers.
Meanwhile in NY we're in the process of adding one...

Yes, I've noticed that. FREEWAY ENTRANCE signs have been appearing everywhere, seemingly out of nowhere.
I'm pretty sure that comment was with respect to business interstates.  My comment was with respect to Business I-81 in Syracuse.  North Carolina has removed at least one, which interestingly enough, was a former alignment of I-85 and/or I-40.  Just like I-81 (without the viaduct removal), only the two states are going in opposite directions.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on October 12, 2021, 12:52:00 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 11, 2021, 11:09:17 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 11, 2021, 09:02:37 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on October 11, 2021, 03:14:48 PM
We are getting rid of them cause they cause confusion to drivers.
Meanwhile in NY we're in the process of adding one...

Yes, I've noticed that. FREEWAY ENTRANCE signs have been appearing everywhere, seemingly out of nowhere.
I'm pretty sure that comment was with respect to business interstates.  My comment was with respect to Business I-81 in Syracuse.  North Carolina has removed at least one, which interestingly enough, was a former alignment of I-85 and/or I-40.  Just like I-81 (without the viaduct removal), only the two states are going in opposite directions.

Sorry, I thought you meant "one" as in a standard freeway entrance sign at all interchanges, which does seem to be happening as well.

Big John

Quote from: hobsini2 on October 10, 2021, 05:24:58 PM
Other than Wisconsin, what other states use a sign like this? While this sign is in Illinois, this is a sometimes used WisDOT practice with a city with multiple exits.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4697664,-88.9949755,3a,29.8y,25.42h,90.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbfkqg0w0jtLJqVTMWA7WSQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Personally, I prefer this practice instead of this sign just saying "Beloit Next 3 Exits".

So they omitted the I-43 to go with the exit of WI 81

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Big John on October 12, 2021, 06:54:00 PM
Other than Wisconsin, what other states use a sign like this? While this sign is in Illinois, this is a sometimes used WisDOT practice with a city with multiple exits.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4697664,-88.9949755,3a,29.8y,25.42h,90.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbfkqg0w0jtLJqVTMWA7WSQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Personally, I prefer this practice instead of this sign just saying "Beloit Next 3 Exits".

So they omitted the I-43 to go with the exit of WI 81

Probably because I-43 doesn't go into downtown Beloit and would take you away from the city rather than into it. I can see why I-43 wasn't posted on it in that context.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

dvferyance

I have seen signs like that in West Virginia. In fact those signs are rare in Wisconsin they mostly jsut use something like Beloit next 3 exits. La Crosse I beleive is the only other place I have seen those in Wisconsin.

ilpt4u

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 11, 2021, 10:05:43 PM
Runaway truck ramps.  Illinois isn't flat, after all.
There are a couple in Chester, IL

SkyPesos

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 23, 2021, 07:46:33 PM
Indiana:

More APL signs (the only usage that I know of is the I-65/74/465 exchanges south of Indianapolis)
There's also a few at the I-65 and I-865 interchange. Also, it seems like INDOT got into the partial APLs trend recently, as I found this one on I-65 NB on my way to Lafayette today:

paulthemapguy

On a serious note, Illinois needs more flyover ramps.  Not just on the toll road interchanges.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

RoadRebel

In North (and South) Carolina:

Smaller, non-Interstate freeways similar to the US-378 freeway near Sumter, SC or US-221 Bypass near Marion, NC

Higher statewide maximum speed limits; I'm partial to 80 or 85 MPH for use on certain freeways and up to 75 MPH for any other road deemed safe by engineers.

Jersey style RIRO freeflowing expressways - part of Independence Boulevard in Charlotte is designed like this and they're planning to extend it

Superstreets for non-freeway 4 lane divided highways and certain other arterial roads, especially ones with state or US route numbers

Alternative intersections/interchanges - Jug handles, Michigan lefts, DDI, CFI, and roundabouts are seeing increased use, but are still uncommon

Interchanges on or between some arterial roads and non-freeway divided highways. Somewhat common, but not common enough IMO

Better advance junction signs telling what lane to be in ahead of time instead of directly at the corner of an intersection, preferably overhead if the intersection has a lot going on

Better BEGIN/END route signage

"Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs on all divided highways

Road surface painted route shields in each lane when approaching a junction - I can name one jughandle that does this, but no other major intersections including freeways; There are probably others that I haven't seen, but they are very uncommon

Planted freeway medians like on I-440 northwest of downtown Raleigh

Historic route trailblazer signs

Interstate spurs like I-585 in Spartanburg, SC just for fun
Keep right (not middle) except to pass!

US20IL64

"  * Interchange sequence/"Exit Menu" signs (example from Wisconsin  "    from Revive755 post.

These median exit listing signs are all over California, too.

SkyPesos

Quote from: US20IL64 on October 13, 2021, 10:21:48 AM
"  * Interchange sequence/"Exit Menu" signs (example from Wisconsin  "    from Revive755 post.

They're used in a lot of states. For another example, check the Missouri side of both the St Louis and Kansas City areas.

ran4sh

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 12, 2021, 09:38:57 PM
Also, it seems like INDOT got into the partial APLs trend recently, as I found this one on I-65 NB on my way to Lafayette today:
[image of partial APL]

Those are nonstandard, at least for now. The proposed new MUTCD includes a provision to allow partial APLs in some situations.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

HighwayStar

Pennsylvania

• Smooth roads that don't make you feel like you are driving in a bombed out post war Berlin any more than the rows of abandoned factories and stores already do
  • Higher Speed Limits, posted at 80.
  • Texas U Turns and TX style frontage roads
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

ran4sh

I would say that frontage roads and their associated u-turns should be used more in all states. It's the simple solution for how to build a road that is limited access/controlled access (the inner freeway) while still maintaining access to the adjacent properties (the frontage roads).

In Georgia there is about an 8 mile segment of I-85 in DeKalb County (Atlanta area north of the Downtown Connector) which has the Texas-style frontage roads and U-turns.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

US 89

Quote from: ran4sh on October 13, 2021, 07:14:17 PM
I would say that frontage roads and their associated u-turns should be used more in all states. It's the simple solution for how to build a road that is limited access/controlled access (the inner freeway) while still maintaining access to the adjacent properties (the frontage roads).

In Georgia there is about an 8 mile segment of I-85 in DeKalb County (Atlanta area north of the Downtown Connector) which has the Texas-style frontage roads and U-turns.

Also the GA 141 (Peachtree Industrial Blvd) freeway in DeKalb and Gwinnett Counties.

US20IL64

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 13, 2021, 10:23:41 AM
Quote from: US20IL64 on October 13, 2021, 10:21:48 AM

They're used in a lot of states. For another example, check the Missouri side of both the St Louis and Kansas City areas.

Yep, I know, but CA is most populous.

andrepoiy

Time-of-day protected signals might be useful here, since well, protected lefts are really annoying overnight when there's large gaps in opposite traffic that one can easily make the turn

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jbnv

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 13, 2021, 10:49:03 PM
Time-of-day protected signals might be useful here, since well, protected lefts are really annoying overnight when there's large gaps in opposite traffic that one can easily make the turn

Those would be useful everywhere.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.