News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What was the First Interstate You Clinched?

Started by ethanhopkin14, September 02, 2021, 04:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCinSummerfield

Evan_Th

My first 3-digit was probably either I-440 or I-540, as a kid growing up in North Carolina.

My first two-digit was I-85, in a combination of family road trips and one church youth group road trip.  I think it's still the only two-digit I've clinched, unless you count I-87 (NC) where we drove the currently-signed section prior to it gaining Interstate numbering.

cpzilliacus

Not sure which was first, but it was once of these two:

1. I-495 (Md./Va./D.C. (about 700 feet in D.C.)) or
2. I-70S (now I-270) (Md.)

I-66 was an early clinch (when the "main" I-66 only ran between I-495 and U.S. 29 at Gainesville, Va. and there were short sections open between D.C. and Arlington County, Virginia over the T. Roosevelt Bridge and another short section near Delaplane and Marshall in Fauquier County).  So it was not a clinch of all of I-66 since it was not complete then.

All of I-66 from D.C. to I-81 at Front Royal was not completed until about 1982 when the section between I-495 and U.S. 29 at the Rosslyn Tunnel opened.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Did several cross-country trips before I was 4 that I do not remember anything about (and interstates then still had unfinished segments anyway).

It is possible my first 3di clinch was in 1974 with either I-264 or I-564 in Norfolk area. 

For 2di, one trip after moving to SC in 1975 would've finished I-26 but the gap in Tryon NC still existed.

Didn't travel much outside of NC/SC from 1975-84.  So the first 3di I know for certain I finished as a child was I-805 in California, 1984, followed by I-215 a couple hours later.  Did not complete any 2dis on that cross-country trip.  I don't think I completed a 2di until I was the driver and I believe it was I-26 in 1986.

Henry

I-290 was my first clinched 3di, especially since I would drive on it mainly to avoid the Kennedy traffic (but I would also use it as a route to Cubs games).

As for 2di, I'll probably go with I-5, which played a huge part in my move from L.A. to Seattle in 2000.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

Easy one for me, almost certainly I-590. Even though I was too young to remember it, there just aren't any other plausible candidates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Roadgeekteen

My first clinched 2di is I-93. It's also the only 2di I've clinched.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Probably I-494 or I-694 as a kid. I'd get my grandpa to do a lap with me around it once in a while.

The first I clinched as a driver was I-277 Ohio.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ethanhopkin14

I like this subject because, just as suspected, most clinched their first interstate as a kid and/or before clinching was a thing.  It's interesting to see how it was perceived back when it wasn't a thing to do, but simply because a family road trip involved driving an interstate from start to finish. 

dlsterner

Hell if I know   :bigass:

My best guess would be I-581 in Roanoke VA back in 1968 or 1969.  On family trips north we used the NC 68/US 220/I-581 corridor as a shunt between I-85 and I-81 (this was pre I-77).

As far as 2di, I clinched I-85 (as defined at the time) for sure in 1985.  Lost the clinch when I-85 was re-routed around Greensboro NC in 2004, regained the clinch in 2005.

I think we clinched the entire I-85 corridor in 1967, but there were gaps that hadn't been built yet, forcing us onto the parallel US 29.

sbeaver44

2di: I-83 on multiple trips to Baltimore Aquarium; I always remembered the S end of I-83

3di: PROBABLY I-283

Ned Weasel

The first Interstate I ever clinched had to be either of the two local I-470s.

The first 2DI I ever clinched was I-22.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Occidental Tourist

jp the roadgeek

2di: I-91 in 1988 (as a passenger), I-97 (1998-ish) as a driver
3di: I-691 right after the designation (as a passenger), same in 1992 as a driver.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

DandyDan

Assuming Dad didn't drive the length of South Dakota's I-190 when I was 5, I believe the first was I-694. Of course, I would have been a passenger. The first one I drove is my only 2di I've clinched, I-88 in Illinois.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Ned Weasel on September 07, 2021, 09:00:35 PM
The first Interstate I ever clinched had to be either of the two local I-470s.

The first 2DI I ever clinched was I-22.

Wait, I might be wrong on both of these.  I'm pretty sure I clinched I-635 in Kansas and Missouri before either of the local I-470s, because I-635 is closer and it's the usual route to the airport.

I-22 is debatable.  The first time I drove it, it didn't yet go all the way to I-65, and I'm pretty sure I took US 78 from I-22 to I-20.  I remember a barrier closing off the left two lanes and a sign saying through traffic needed to exit.  I-22 also wasn't fully signed in both states yet (I think it was signed in Mississippi but not fully in Alabama).  So, if you don't count I-22 for that reason, then I-24 is the first 2DI I clinched.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

ctkatz

264 for me which was pretty remarkable because I live east of 65 and generally had absolutely no reason to go to the west end as a kid or as an adult. I think I finally did from 64 to the dumesnil street exit maybe back in 2004 which was the only section I hadn't hit since 1984.

the next year I finally went all the way up 71 to cleveland when a friend and I went to the cleveland grand prix champcar race.

hbelkins

Looking back on it, there's a better-than-good chance my first clinched interstate was actually I-670 in Kansas City, followed by I-190 in South Dakota and I-229 in Nebraska and Iowa on the same trip

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TravelingBethelite

Given an educated guess:

2di: I-84 (E)
3di: I-691
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

bwana39

Surely it was I-30. I know I had gone to Little Rock and to the (then ) western end (at the current end of US-80.)

It might have been I-45, because I drove from Houston to Dallas when I was 16. I may not have been on south to Galveston.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

epzik8

Either I-97 or I-895. 97 was definitely my first 2DI clinch; I then clinched I-70 and I-83 during the same month in 2009 (and now I have 66 and 68).
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

SEWIGuy

2di: I'm guessing I-43 but could have been I-39
3di:  Most assuredly I-894 in Milwaukee

triplemultiplex

Well I only count as clinched those routes that I have personally driven, so that makes it easier to disregard pre-driving-age memories of trips.

First mainline interstate I clinched was I-39.  And yes, that's well after the extension to Wausau.
If I'm counting 3di's, then it'd be I-535.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

frankenroad

Roads I clinched, with a caveat:
2 di - I-72 as far as it went at the time (1973).  I have not been on any parts built after 1973.
3 di - I-895 in Maryland - but long before it was called 895 (1971) - it was just the Harbor Tunnel Thruway.

Roads I clinched in their current configuration and number:
2 di - probably I-88 in New York.
3 di - I 275 in OH/IN/KY - my buddy and I made a point of driving its entirety when the last segment opened (1976-ish).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.