News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 01, 2021, 12:43:57 PM
I went to game 2 of the 2005 World Series the game where Paulie hit a grand slam and Scotty Pods hit a walk off. I got my ticket off this broker I knew in Chicago that I met when I ended up going to a Red Sox-Cubs game earlier in the year since I was in Chicago and the Sox were out of town I think they were in San Diego that weekend if my memory serves me right and I had nothing to do so I went to get these tickets and went to the game. Well now the Sox are in the playoffs and I'm thinking I have to go to at least one game if I can afford it. So I remembered that I got this guys card when I met him and called him up and asked him if he had anything for the Sox game because I had asked him if he did the Sox too. So I got ahold of him early in the day I left here at 4:30 in the morning and got to Chicago a little after 8 central time and he told me he had some tickets for game 2 of the World Series and I told him I wanted one so I met him at Hollywood Grill on North and Ashland and I paid him $100 for an upper deck seat. The game was 4-2 and it was like the 6th inning and I'm thinking this sucks the Sox are losing I came all this way to see them lose I'm too familiar with this. Then they load the bases in the bottom of the 7th and Paulie steps up I just blurted up great time for a grand slam and this was just after a pitching change as Dye was hit to load the bases. I swear the first pitch he hits it out of the ballpark and the stadium started to shake Sox take a 6-4 lead and I'm thinking this is great it took a game that sucked because the Sox were losing to a game that was fun. Jenks pitched the 9th and I'm thinking he's been pretty good we should be up 2-0 after this inning. The Astros had 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and Jenks allowed a base hit to tie the game. I think Pods was the second hitter of the inning and he had a 1-1 count or 2-1 count on him and then proceeded to hit a walk off homer. A guy that didn't hit a single homer all regular season he hit two in the postseason, one against Boston and one against Houston. I remember Ozzie signaling to the bullpen for Jenks, he had his arms out his sides like give me the fat guy.

That's great.  I wasn't living here, or near here, in 2005 and attending a game would have been out of the question.

Also, $100 is roughly face value for an upper deck ticket to the ALDS/ALCS.

CoreySamson

Astros clinch the AL West and will play the White Sox in the playoffs.

Also, go M's! I would really rather see them than the Red Sox or Yankees in the playoffs.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Flint1979

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 01, 2021, 02:41:27 PM
I went to game 2 of the 2005 World Series the game where Paulie hit a grand slam and Scotty Pods hit a walk off. I got my ticket off this broker I knew in Chicago that I met when I ended up going to a Red Sox-Cubs game earlier in the year since I was in Chicago and the Sox were out of town I think they were in San Diego that weekend if my memory serves me right and I had nothing to do so I went to get these tickets and went to the game. Well now the Sox are in the playoffs and I'm thinking I have to go to at least one game if I can afford it. So I remembered that I got this guys card when I met him and called him up and asked him if he had anything for the Sox game because I had asked him if he did the Sox too. So I got ahold of him early in the day I left here at 4:30 in the morning and got to Chicago a little after 8 central time and he told me he had some tickets for game 2 of the World Series and I told him I wanted one so I met him at Hollywood Grill on North and Ashland and I paid him $100 for an upper deck seat. The game was 4-2 and it was like the 6th inning and I'm thinking this sucks the Sox are losing I came all this way to see them lose I'm too familiar with this. Then they load the bases in the bottom of the 7th and Paulie steps up I just blurted up great time for a grand slam and this was just after a pitching change as Dye was hit to load the bases. I swear the first pitch he hits it out of the ballpark and the stadium started to shake Sox take a 6-4 lead and I'm thinking this is great it took a game that sucked because the Sox were losing to a game that was fun. Jenks pitched the 9th and I'm thinking he's been pretty good we should be up 2-0 after this inning. The Astros had 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs and Jenks allowed a base hit to tie the game. I think Pods was the second hitter of the inning and he had a 1-1 count or 2-1 count on him and then proceeded to hit a walk off homer. A guy that didn't hit a single homer all regular season he hit two in the postseason, one against Boston and one against Houston. I remember Ozzie signaling to the bullpen for Jenks, he had his arms out his sides like give me the fat guy.

That's great.  I wasn't living here, or near here, in 2005 and attending a game would have been out of the question.

Chicago's only 4 and a half hours from me. I've been there tons of times. I've indeed seen a lot of Sox games. I went to games in the old ballpark I miss that place. Comiskey Park was the best.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 01, 2021, 03:15:26 PM

Chicago's only 4 and a half hours from me. I've been there tons of times. I've indeed seen a lot of Sox games. I went to games in the old ballpark I miss that place. Comiskey Park was the best.

Only 13 months of my live have I lived  > 4.5 hour drive from Chicago. October 2005 was a part of those 13 months.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 01, 2021, 03:56:31 PM

Only 13 months of my live have I lived  > 4.5 hour drive from Chicago. October 2005 was a part of those 13 months.
I've always lived within 4 and 1/2 hours of Chicago. It's been fun but I've been to more road games than home games the last few years. I went to Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Detroit this year. I don't really consider going to Detroit a vacation though.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 02, 2021, 10:06:36 AM

I've always lived within 4 and 1/2 hours of Chicago. It's been fun but I've been to more road games than home games the last few years. I went to Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Detroit this year. I don't really consider going to Detroit a vacation though.

Have been to both old and new parks in Cincinnati. Have been to Tiger Stadium but yet to go to Comerica. Hopefully next summer.

abefroman329

I'm excited for the possibility of a White Sox-Brewers or White Sox-Cards World Series. If it were the former, I could go to a road game and sleep in my own bed that night.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 02, 2021, 05:53:10 PM
I'm excited for the possibility of a White Sox-Brewers or White Sox-Cards World Series. If it were the former, I could go to a road game and sleep in my own bed that night.

I would not want to face the Brewers pitching staff in the World Series.

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 02, 2021, 03:23:33 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 02, 2021, 10:06:36 AM

Have been to both old and new parks in Cincinnati. Have been to Tiger Stadium but yet to go to Comerica. Hopefully next summer.
I liked Tiger Stadium better, real nice place to watch a ballgame. Comerica has the seats too far from the action and has stuff to remove your attention from the action too. I've been to over 100 games at Comerica. I like the statues and the stuff they have showing each decade of the Tigers.

I liked Pittsburgh's park and only paid $15 to park in a garage about two blocks from the ballpark. For Cincinnati I parked on the Kentucky side at Newport On The Levee and walked across the Purple People Bridge.

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 02, 2021, 05:53:10 PM
I’m excited for the possibility of a White Sox-Brewers or White Sox-Cards World Series. If it were the former, I could go to a road game and sleep in my own bed that night.

Those would both be great series. If the Mariners* don’t get in, I’m rooting for the White Sox, and the Brewers are my NL pick. Also, if the Cards, who were nowhere a month ago, get to the World Series, they’d go through the two winningest teams in the league and one of the other division winners. They’d be scary.

*on r/baseball, the Mariners and Orioles fanbases made an alliance, since the Orioles were playing wild card contenders the whole last week of the season, and I’m pulling for them and rooting against the other AL East teams anyway.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Red Sox back in it!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

We have arrived at the last day of the season, and all of these situations that would require tiebreaker games are still possible:

1) two-way tie for the second WC spot
2) three-way tie for the second WC spot
3) three-way tie for both WC spots
4) four-way tie for both WC spots

We could also have a tiebreaker game for the NL West title.

Flint1979

Whatever the case. LETS GO WHITE SOX.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 03, 2021, 08:10:18 AM
We have arrived at the last day of the season, and all of these situations that would require tiebreaker games are still possible:

And all games today start at about the same time, so we'll know what's going to happen pretty much all at once.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Roadgeekteen

Please Flappy bois hold on... Red Sox yikes.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Flint1979

And the Red Sox win. Is there some way possible that we can get rid of both the Yankees and Red Sox ASAP?

NWI_Irish96

And we got none of these. Canada's current team was eliminated because Canada's former team couldn't hold a 4 run lead.

Roadgeekteen

Fuck the Yankees

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Flint1979

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 03, 2021, 07:14:18 PM

And we got none of these. Canada's current team was eliminated because Canada's former team couldn't hold a 4 run lead.
Damn Nationals. Two years removed from winning it all and they suck beyond believe this year.

Flint1979

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 03, 2021, 08:03:55 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 03, 2021, 07:35:34 PM
Fuck the Yankees

I'll drink to that :cheers:
I don't even care anymore lol. 2005 was the year for me I never expected to see my team win it all and they did and I love being able to rub it into Tigers fans that their team hasn't won since 1984.

AsphaltPlanet

I didn't think the Nats would be able to hold Boston, but I thought that the Rays would beat the Yankees.  Too bad as a Blue Jays fan.  But the Blue Jays sealed their own fate by loosing too many winnable games earlier in the year
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 03, 2021, 09:07:12 PM
I didn't think the Nats would be able to hold Boston, but I thought that the Rays would beat the Yankees.  Too bad as a Blue Jays fan.  But the Blue Jays sealed their own fate by loosing too many winnable games earlier in the year

I was more afraid of having to play you guys in a play-in game than I am of the Yankees. Jays got hot but just ran out of games.   Plus we would have had to have gone to New York even if we won that. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.