News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

Gotta be frustrating loss for Arizona.  So many base runners stranded while their starter was putting on a clinic through six.

I think I've seen at least 10 teams win their first World Series in my life by now. 
And now my team is the oldest franchise without one.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 02, 2023, 02:24:26 PM
Gotta be frustrating loss for Arizona.  So many base runners stranded while their starter was putting on a clinic through six.

I think I've seen at least 10 teams win their first World Series in my life by now. 

Last 10 first time winners:

Texas Rangers (Washington Senators) 2023
Washington Nationals (Montreal Expos) 2019
Houston Astros 2017
Los Angeles Angels (Anaheim Angels, California Angels) 2002
Arizona Diamondbacks 2001
Miami Marlins (Florida Marlins) 1997
Toronto Blue Jays 1992
Kansas City Royals 1985
Philadelphia Phillies 1980
New York Mets 1969
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tmoore952

How so? San Diego and Seattle/Milwaukee both started in 1969. Wouldn't they both be the oldest? And San Diego has had a team since 1969, and Milwaukee "only" since 1970 (in 1969 they were the Seattle Pilots). Milwaukee the city did win with the Braves in 1957.

I had to modify what I wrote once I figured out you were a Brewers fan (a couple pages back).

Henry

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 02, 2023, 02:34:37 PM

Houston Astros 2017
Toronto Blue Jays 1992
Kansas City Royals 1985
New York Mets 1969
It's ironic how the last two first-time champions have ties to the nation's capital. One started out as a replacement for the team that had moved to Minnesota, and the other is the current team that came over from Montreal.

But all in all, the Rangers deserved that title. And furthermore, they complete the championship grand slam for Dallas-Ft. Worth (with the Cowboys, Stars and Mavericks having also won in previous years).

Seattle Mariners, you're on the clock!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

Quote from: Henry on November 03, 2023, 12:44:50 AM

Houston Astros 2017
Toronto Blue Jays 1992
Kansas City Royals 1985
New York Mets 1969
It's ironic how the last two first-time champions have ties to the nation's capital. One started out as a replacement for the team that had moved to Minnesota, and the other is the current team that came over from Montreal.

But all in all, the Rangers deserved that title. And furthermore, they complete the championship grand slam for Dallas-Ft. Worth (with the Cowboys, Stars and Mavericks having also won in previous years).

It's been quite awhile since the Cowboys, Stars and Mavericks have won anything.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 03, 2023, 11:49:29 AM
Quote from: Henry on November 03, 2023, 12:44:50 AM

Houston Astros 2017
Toronto Blue Jays 1992
Kansas City Royals 1985
New York Mets 1969

It's been quite awhile since the Cowboys, Stars and Mavericks have won anything.

In the case of the Stars, some fans in Buffalo still have hard time to swallow Brett Hull's "No goal".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUR_yE3iDNQ

mgk920

Just think, in abut 3.5 months or so, pitchers and catchers report.

:clap:

Mike

jgb191

Great to see both Texas' (Astros and Rangers) MLB teams win a World Series at least once during my lifetime, even cooler that it happened in consecutive years.  Both teams combined for five of the last seven AL pennants.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Henry

Quote from: jgb191 on November 03, 2023, 10:29:38 PM
Great to see both Texas' (Astros and Rangers) MLB teams win a World Series at least once during my lifetime, even cooler that it happened in consecutive years.  Both teams combined for five of the last seven AL pennants.
Now that you bring it up, this is the first time since 1988-89 that two different teams from the same state won the World Series: the Dodgers won first and the Athletics followed. In the divisional era, it has happened three times (the first being 1979 and 1980, with the Pirates and Phillies winning in those respective years).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on November 03, 2023, 11:24:54 PM
Now that you bring it up, this is the first time since 1988-89 that two different teams from the same state won the World Series: the Dodgers won first and the Athletics followed. In the divisional era, it has happened three times (the first being 1979 and 1980, with the Pirates and Phillies winning in those respective years).

Before the divisional era, it happened in 1906-07 in Illinois, and probably in New York at some point before the Giants and Dodgers both moved.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Buck87

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 04, 2023, 08:17:46 AM

Before the divisional era, it happened in 1906-07 in Illinois, and probably in New York at some point before the Giants and Dodgers both moved.

If we're going for each year having a different champion from the same state, the best one is 3 straight from New York

1954 New York Giants
1955 Brooklyn Dodgers

....and then take your pick of whether you want to add the 1953 Yankees to the front of that or add the 1956 Yankees to the back of it.

Throw in the Yankees from 1949 to 1952 and you have 8 straight New York titles with all 3 teams having at least one.

1995hoo

Full list:

1906–08 Illinois (Sox, Cubs, Cubs)
1909–11 Pennsylvania (Pirates, Athletics, Athletics)
1914–16 (Braves, Red Sox, Red Sox)
1919–20 (Reds, Indians)
1921–23 (Giants, Giants, Yankees)
1932–33 (Yankees, Giants)
1949–56 (Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, Giants, Dodgers, Yankees)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 04, 2023, 04:08:35 PM

Full list:

1906–08 Illinois (Sox, Cubs, Cubs)
1909–11 Pennsylvania (Pirates, Athletics, Athletics)
1914–16 (Braves, Red Sox, Red Sox)
1919–20 (Reds, Indians)
1921–23 (Giants, Giants, Yankees)
1932–33 (Yankees, Giants)
1949–56 (Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, Giants, Dodgers, Yankees)

that last line brings me to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

KeithE4Phx

In a move that was a complete surprise, the Cubs have fired manager David Ross and hired Brewers manager Craig Counsell.  Counsell's contract had expired after the Brewers were swept by the Diamondbacks in the NLWCS.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/mlb/chicago-cubs/cubs-news/cubs-officially-fire-david-ross-hire-craig-counsell-as-manager/517108/
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Henry

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 06, 2023, 09:55:52 PM
In a move that was a complete surprise, the Cubs have fired manager David Ross and hired Brewers manager Craig Counsell.  Counsell's contract had expired after the Brewers were swept by the Diamondbacks in the NLWCS.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/mlb/chicago-cubs/cubs-news/cubs-officially-fire-david-ross-hire-craig-counsell-as-manager/517108/
Even I was shocked to hear the news. Nonetheless, welcome to the North Side, Craig Counsell!

Flint1979

I never understood the obsession over David Ross. It was like they got him to be Jon Lester's personal catcher, he only played in 139 games in two seasons with the Cubs and hit .203 with a .304 OBP and .351 SLG% he wasn't good at all. He had like one good season in Cincinnati but other than that he was a backup catcher and nothing special. So why did the Cubs obsess over this guy so much?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Henry on November 06, 2023, 10:22:34 PM

Even I was shocked to hear the news. Nonetheless, welcome to the North Side, Craig Counsell!

I'm more than a little pissed.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 07, 2023, 07:23:56 AM
I never understood the obsession over David Ross. It was like they got him to be Jon Lester's personal catcher, he only played in 139 games in two seasons with the Cubs and hit .203 with a .304 OBP and .351 SLG% he wasn't good at all. He had like one good season in Cincinnati but other than that he was a backup catcher and nothing special. So why did the Cubs obsess over this guy so much?

He's a good guy, and relates to players well.  I do think he could become a very good manager in time, but putting him on the spot with the fading Cubs was not a good move.  He'll land on his feet, either as a bench coach or a minor league manager for a few years.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

tmoore952

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 07, 2023, 02:19:54 PM

The thing I would worry about from a Milwaukee perspective, is that Counsell uses his knowledge of the Brewers -- to the Cubs advantage and the Brewers detriment.

The big parallel I see here (as a longtime Phillies fan) was when Dallas Green left the Phillies managerial job to become the Cubs general manager between 1981 and 1982 seasons. Prior to being Phillies manager, Green had been the longtime (~10 years) Phillies farm director. One of the first things he did as Cubs general manager was to trade with the Phillies to get Ryne Sandburg, who went on to have a HOF career. Green knew what was there, and the Phillies were dumb enough to be duped.

Flint1979

Quote from: tmoore952 on November 09, 2023, 06:58:56 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 07, 2023, 02:19:54 PM

The thing I would worry about from a Milwaukee perspective, is that Counsell uses his knowledge of the Brewers -- to the Cubs advantage and the Brewers detriment.

The big parallel I see here (as a longtime Phillies fan) was when Dallas Green left the Phillies managerial job to become the Cubs general manager between 1981 and 1982 seasons. Prior to being Phillies manager, Green had been the longtime (~10 years) Phillies farm director. One of the first things he did as Cubs general manager was to trade with the Phillies to get Ryne Sandburg, who went on to have a HOF career. Green knew what was there, and the Phillies were dumb enough to be duped.
Wow that is insane. The Phillies were stupid in that case.

triplemultiplex

This feels like the start of a return to the wilderness for Milwaukee.  Really bad timing as the state legislature is debating how to throw some more money at Miller Park to get another 20 years out of it.

Henry

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on November 07, 2023, 10:09:44 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 07, 2023, 07:23:56 AM

He's a good guy, and relates to players well.  I do think he could become a very good manager in time, but putting him on the spot with the fading Cubs was not a good move.  He'll land on his feet, either as a bench coach or a minor league manager for a few years.
Also, he won the 2016 World Series with them, and is the last remaining link to that roster. I really like him, and it's just unfortunate that he had to see his tenure end the way it did, especially at the cost of stealing a rival manager. I wish him the best of luck in his next job, whatever that may be.

Flint1979

R.I.P. to both these guys. The late great Ernie Harwell and the late Jim Price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOJIuymppFo

Flint1979

R I P. Willie Hernandez. Detroit remembers you

tmoore952

Surprised there hasn't been even a little chatter about the baseball winter meetings, but so be it.

I'm sure there's some news today of which I am not aware yet (meaning where Ohtani is headed) but I'll find out later.

Wanted to mention Juan Soto being traded to the Yankees. That should help his power numbers, being left handed and the short right field wall there. I had hoped that he would take San Diego places, but I guess that was not meant to be.

Being a Washington fan, I hope Soto is successful. I have much less animosity towards him than I do to Harper. Prior to the Nationals coming to DC, I was a Phillies fan for 30 years --- I still root for them as well, but not because of Harper.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.