News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 31 freeway gap in Michigan finally will be filled (well 1 of them anyway)

Started by Terry Shea, March 29, 2009, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Wow what a huge waste of money.  That "gap" is nothing.  Put in a roundabout and call it a day.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 05, 2016, 01:28:06 PM
Wow what a huge waste of money.  That "gap" is nothing.  Put in a roundabout and call it a day.
The gap never should have been there in the first place.  Actually building a roundabout would be a huge waste of money.

Avalanchez71

I see the gap as smart use of money.  MI doesn't have money to throw around.

silverback1065

it would make absolutely no sense to slap a roundabout there.  filling the gap is necessary, and something the area has been begging for for years.  Michigan just sucks at infrastructure.

ftballfan

Quote from: northernmi on August 05, 2016, 11:17:37 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 10, 2016, 04:37:32 PM
the holland gap will never be filled

The Holland gap will be a bypass, M231.  Plans do call for a freeway, at some point from I-96 to I-196.  Will take years to get that funding.
Existing M-231 would also have to be upgraded as there's only one two-lane bridge over the Grand River. I do think existing US-31 through the Holland area was planned out well north of Chicago Drive with limited access (unlike Grand Haven). The only thing I could see there in my lifetime is a connection from M-231's southern end to existing US-31 around Port Sheldon St (and maybe the I-96/US-31 interchange improved slightly)

northernmi

Quote from: ftballfan on September 21, 2016, 09:24:35 PM
Quote from: northernmi on August 05, 2016, 11:17:37 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 10, 2016, 04:37:32 PM
the holland gap will never be filled

The Holland gap will be a bypass, M231.  Plans do call for a freeway, at some point from I-96 to I-196.  Will take years to get that funding.
Existing M-231 would also have to be upgraded as there's only one two-lane bridge over the Grand River. I do think existing US-31 through the Holland area was planned out well north of Chicago Drive with limited access (unlike Grand Haven). The only thing I could see there in my lifetime is a connection from M-231's southern end to existing US-31 around Port Sheldon St (and maybe the I-96/US-31 interchange improved slightly)

The actual plan, if MDOT had the funding, would be to build a complete highway around Holland and Grand Haven.  M231 is just a small sliver to get it started.  Click on the link below

http://www.michiganhighways.org/maps/US-31Freeway_OttawaAlt_MDOT.gif

US 41

Excuse my ignorance, but what gap? I drove through there on US 31 last July and I don't recall a gap. I'm not sure what you're even referencing when I look on Google Maps.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

triplemultiplex

Quote from: US 41 on October 28, 2016, 03:39:54 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what gap? I drove through there on US 31 last July and I don't recall a gap. I'm not sure what you're even referencing when I look on Google Maps.

The thread title should say "US 31 Freeway Gap" since that is what it is talking about.  Not an actual gap in the signed route.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

I think US 31 should have been completed to Interstate 94 long ago. Does the needs of a butterfly trump the needs to complete a needed freeway connection?

GaryV

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 28, 2016, 04:23:07 PM
I think US 31 should have been completed to Interstate 94 long ago. Does the needs of a butterfly trump the needs to complete a needed freeway connection?
Heresy!   :bigass:

US 41

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 28, 2016, 04:14:45 PM
Quote from: US 41 on October 28, 2016, 03:39:54 PM

The thread title should say "US 31 Freeway Gap" since that is what it is talking about.  Not an actual gap in the signed route.

Got it. I was thinking that the Holland Gap and the freeway gap were two different gaps.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 28, 2016, 04:23:07 PM

apparently yes.

triplemultiplex

All this passion for cutting out two minutes of drive time between Grand Rapids and South Bend.  :meh:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Terry Shea

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 29, 2016, 11:54:31 AM
All this passion for cutting out two minutes of drive time between Grand Rapids and South Bend.  :meh:
And if the same freeway gap existed in any other major highway it would have been taken care of decades ago.

silverback1065

Quote from: Terry Shea on October 30, 2016, 10:23:51 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 29, 2016, 11:54:31 AM
And if the same freeway gap existed in any other major highway it would have been taken care of decades ago.

it takes michigan decades to even ask themselves if they need to upgrade something.

northernmi

Pick the best option you like for US-31 gap, to either I-94 or to I-94 / I-196.   Maybe they can talk about it for another 10 years.

http://www.michiganhighways.org/maps/US-31Freeway_BerrienAlts.pdf

vdeane

I prefer PA-4 but wouldn't mind PA-3.  Definitely not PA-1.  I thought the Napier Ave interchange was built years ago?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

13 years ago, if I'm not mistaken. At any rate, the sooner the gap between Napier Ave. and Interstate 94 is filled, the better.

silverback1065

i thought they picked one of the alignments connecting it to bus 94?

theline

^^ Yes the preferred route was chosen in 2011, per this posting upthread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18276.msg2156336#msg2156336. A discussion of the alternatives follows that posting. I've not heard that any change is imminent, but feel free to debate again anyway.

mvak36

https://wsbt.com/news/local/us-department-of-transportation-awards-m-dot-grant-to-finish-us-31-in-berrien-county
QuoteBERRIEN COUNTY – A major update Thursday on a project on one of the area's busiest roadways.

The U.S. Department of Transportation awarding M-DOT a $20 million grant to finish U.S. 31 in Berrien County.

The money will pay to extend the highway from Napier Avenue to I-94, a stretch of approximately two miles.

Work on the project could begin as soon as 2021.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

sparker

Quote from: mvak36 on December 06, 2018, 06:04:07 PM
https://wsbt.com/news/local/us-department-of-transportation-awards-m-dot-grant-to-finish-us-31-in-berrien-county
QuoteBERRIEN COUNTY – A major update Thursday on a project on one of the area's busiest roadways.

The U.S. Department of Transportation awarding M-DOT a $20 million grant to finish U.S. 31 in Berrien County.

The money will pay to extend the highway from Napier Avenue to I-94, a stretch of approximately two miles.

This, and the grant addressing the I-49 missing gap in AR/MO mentioned in another thread, is among the better news items to come down the pike in a long time in this era of incomplete corridors.  Glad to see such discrepancies prioritized for once! 

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on December 06, 2018, 06:59:24 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on December 06, 2018, 06:04:07 PM

This, and the grant addressing the I-49 missing gap in AR/MO mentioned in another thread, is among the better news items to come down the pike in a long time in this era of incomplete corridors.  Glad to see such discrepancies prioritized for once!
Yes, today was really good news. There were a lot of important Interstate/US highway projects that got funding today. I'm looking forward to the next round of FASTLANE grants being awarded next year so we can see what major projects they will fund.

iPhone

sparker

Quote from: mvak36 on December 06, 2018, 07:27:30 PM
Yes, today was really good news. There were a lot of important Interstate/US highway projects that got funding today. I'm looking forward to the next round of FASTLANE grants being awarded next year so we can see what major projects they will fund.
iPhone

If anyone would have a complete list of the grants awarded in this round, it would be greatly appreciated if it were posted -- or at least a link supplied.  Might be some more decent tidbits in that particular litany!

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on December 07, 2018, 02:01:49 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on December 06, 2018, 07:27:30 PM
iPhone

If anyone would have a complete list of the grants awarded in this round, it would be greatly appreciated if it were posted -- or at least a link supplied.  Might be some more decent tidbits in that particular litany!
I have looked on the BUILD grant's website and haven't seen anything yet. Much like the INFRA grants back in June, all the states that won the grants are doing the announcements first.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.