News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

It hadn't the last time a Google Car went through that segment of STH-29 in September 2019. Looking at it on Street View, I wouldn't want to utilize it since doing so would seem like suicide to me. It probably should have been grade-separated when the Wittenberg Bypass was constructed and opened in 1999.

triplemultiplex

It would have been nice to throw up one of those pre-fab ped/bike bridges, but two things working against that for now.  There isn't that much traffic on 29 such that it makes scooching across on a bicycle or snowmobile excessively dangerous.  And well, money.  I'm sure that will probably cost like 2 million dollars or something to put up one of those bridges now.

Since the Wittenberg bypass was constructed, though, I think WisDOT has learned to invest in that type of ped/bike infrastructure from the start of a new major bypass and/or expansion project.  If that bypass was being constructed today, they would absolutely include a crossing for the WIOUWASH Trail.  And it would likely go over 29 instead of under since that trail is used by snowmobiles in the winter in that area.  (So it needs to hold a little snow. ;) )
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JREwing78

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 04, 2022, 10:00:40 AM
Since the Wittenberg bypass was constructed, though, I think WisDOT has learned to invest in that type of ped/bike infrastructure from the start of a new major bypass and/or expansion project.  If that bypass was being constructed today, they would absolutely include a crossing for the WIOUWASH Trail.

Definitely can make that same argument for Hwy 11 through Monroe, which was built out in the '70s.

mgk920

When WisDOT Built the interstate-compatible US 10 Freeway west of Appleton, WI (opened in Dec, 2003), they did include a grade separated crossing for the WIOUWASH State Trail (another former CNW railroad grade, abandoned in about 1976) a short distance east of US 45 (Winchester Interchange).  It is a very large poured-in-place box culvert that goes under the freeway.

Mike

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on January 05, 2022, 03:40:53 PM
When WisDOT Built the interstate-compatible US 10 Freeway west of Appleton, WI (opened in Dec, 2003), they did include a grade separated crossing for the WIOUWASH State Trail (another former CNW railroad grade, abandoned in about 1976) a short distance east of US 45 (Winchester Interchange).  It is a very large poured-in-place box culvert that goes under the freeway.

Same for where US 45 crosses the same trail just outside of Oshkosh.
Both of these freeways were built about 5 years after the Wittenberg bypass.  They have more traffic than WI 29, so it was easier to justify, I'm sure.  But I think it speaks to my hypothesis that WisDOT is better about including that stuff with new projects.  The Burlington bypass has one, a good job was done on the WI 26 corridor to accommodate these trails, and US 151 around Fond du Lac really came thru with a crossing for the Wild Goose Trail and a parallel bike path for most of the route.

That's the thing about these types of ped/bike paths along major highway corridors: if you build it, they will come.  Outside of the dead of winter, I see folks using these facilities every single time I drive past them: US 12 north of Middleton, the Fondy bypass, that Friendship Trail along US 10 west of Appleton.  People love these, especially when they know they won't have to risk their lives to cross the highway.

peterj920

US 12 north of Middleton's trail is used a lot. I've never seen anyone use the Bypass on US 151 around Fond Du Lac. Wis 23 will have a trail from Fond Du Lac to Sheboygan once that project is complete. The Friendship Trail is supposed to span from Stevens Point to Manitowoc but only exists in bits and pieces along US 10, the popular Trestle Trail across Little Lake Butte does Mortes, and along US 10 on an old railroad grade between Brillion and Forest Jct.

Trails along highways don't seem to be used a lot in rural areas. I liked to bike on the Fox and East River trails that were heavily used in Green Bay and I use the various trails around Madison. Trails along scenic areas tend to be used more than trails along highways. I'd rather bike in a quiet scenic area than along a busy, noisy highway.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

JREwing78

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 08, 2022, 07:18:56 PM
https://wisconsindot.gov/pages/travel/road/comm-hwys/default.aspx

Was US 51 ever signed east on US 2 to the state line?
Not to my knowledge. However, it's terminus is only about a quarter mile from the Michigan line

SM-G991U

The Ghostbuster

The bi-annual Transportation Projects Commission report is available if anyone is interested: https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/6yr-hwy-impr/maj-hwy/status.pdf.

peterj920

Another season of road work is underway. The 3 biggest projects in the state seem to be the I-43 expansion project north of Milwaukee, Wis 15 expansion in Outagamie County, and the Madison Beltline Flex Lane. It seems to be one of the quieter construction seasons Wisconsin has had in quite some time.

SSOWorld

Don't forget the finishing of the Zoo Interchange project.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

gbgoose

I'd also add the completion of the new interchange on Hwy 29 in Howard / Hobart.

I drove by there last weekend when heading to Maplewood Meats and that is coming along nicely.  After that is completed, I think there's only a couple intersections left and 29 would be a full freeway past Pulaski. 

triplemultiplex

Oh, how good is Maplewood?  Love their shit.  My uncle always picks out some good stuff on his way thru when we meet Up North.

I think the interchange and related projects will complete the freeway conversion in Brown County.

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 23, 2022, 06:54:23 AM
Don't forget the finishing of the Zoo Interchange project.

Probably best described as a "North Ave Interchange" project at this point.

WI 23 expansion between FdL and Sheboygan is still going on.

dvferyance

Also Green Bay Rd (Hwy 57) reconstruction in Brown Deer and boy does it sure need it. The project also involves converting the intersection with Brown Deer Rd (Hwy 100) into an at grade intersection. No idea why they chose to do that.

peterj920

Quote from: gbgoose on March 23, 2022, 11:56:37 AM
I'd also add the completion of the new interchange on Hwy 29 in Howard / Hobart.

I drove by there last weekend when heading to Maplewood Meats and that is coming along nicely.  After that is completed, I think there's only a couple intersections left and 29 would be a full freeway past Pulaski.

Once that interchange is complete the County U intersection will be removed and Wis 29 will be full freeway between the Shawano Co Line and I-41.

As for Wis 23, only the Fond Du Lac urban section is all that remains.

Compared to past years, there aren't that many major projects being worked on. The next 2 up are I-41 between Appleton and De Pere, and I-94 East-West Freeway in Milwaukee. There aren't really any roads being expanded from 2 to 4 lanes outside of current projects.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: dvferyance on March 23, 2022, 07:26:50 PM
Also Green Bay Rd (Hwy 57) reconstruction in Brown Deer and boy does it sure need it. The project also involves converting the intersection with Brown Deer Rd (Hwy 100) into an at grade intersection. No idea why they chose to do that.

Opens it up for more development.

peterj920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 23, 2022, 09:28:56 PM

I think it's being done because there's more traffic on Hwy 100/Brown Deer Rd than Hwy 57/Green Bay Rd and WISDOT doesn't think that rebuilding the bridges are worth the maintenance costs. That was citied with why the US 2/US 51 interchange was downgraded to a roundabout.

The Wis 16/Wis 22 Interchange was spared in Wyocena because a truck struck the overhead bridge and insurance covered a large portion of the reconstruction.

The Ghostbuster

Are there any plans to do the same to the Brown Deer Rd. (STH-100)/N. 76th St. (STH-181) interchange? I could easily see that interchange meeting the same fate as the elimination of the Brown Deer Rd./Green Bay Rd. interchange.

thspfc

The I-43 and Brown Deer Rd interchange is very outdated, looks like something you'd find on Long Island (which isn't a good thing in terms of interchanges). Hopefully some upgrades there come soon.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on March 24, 2022, 04:35:52 PM
The I-43 and Brown Deer Rd interchange is very outdated, looks like something you'd find on Long Island (which isn't a good thing in terms of interchanges). Hopefully some upgrades there come soon.

It is being reconstructed as a diverging diamond interchange as part of the I-43 expansion project. 

https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/by-region/se/43n-s-corridor/2020materials/browndeer-diamond.pdf

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on March 24, 2022, 01:26:49 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 23, 2022, 09:28:56 PM

I think it's being done because there's more traffic on Hwy 100/Brown Deer Rd than Hwy 57/Green Bay Rd and WISDOT doesn't think that rebuilding the bridges are worth the maintenance costs. That was citied with why the US 2/US 51 interchange was downgraded to a roundabout.

The Wis 16/Wis 22 Interchange was spared in Wyocena because a truck struck the overhead bridge and insurance covered a large portion of the reconstruction.

Makes sense.

It also makes sense why they built that interchange back in the late 60s.  Originally Brown Deer, 43rd St. and Green Bay Avenue came together at a three way intersection that was probably difficult as development moved into that area.  The current interchange is just NE of the original intersection.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 24, 2022, 04:25:35 PM
Are there any plans to do the same to the Brown Deer Rd. (STH-100)/N. 76th St. (STH-181) interchange? I could easily see that interchange meeting the same fate as the elimination of the Brown Deer Rd./Green Bay Rd. interchange.
I haven't heard but I doubt it since that part of Brown Deer was redone fairly recently. I think it would have made more sense to convert that one to an at grade intersection due to less traffic because of the demise of Northridge and other surrounding commercial properties.

Trademark

Are there any plans to turn WI-441 into Interstate 441 thru Appleton? I just drove it yesterday and it appears to be at interstate standards.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Trademark on March 28, 2022, 02:14:20 PM
Are there any plans to turn WI-441 into Interstate 441 thru Appleton? I just drove it yesterday and it appears to be at interstate standards.

Doubtful.  Wisconsin just doesn't seem to care for 3dis, with no new ones since the 1960s, despite there being multiple candidates.

The Ghostbuster

STH-441 will likely keep its existing number for all eternity. I'd be very surprised if any new Interstate designations are approved within the state of Wisconsin.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.