News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Interstate 295- Fayetteville, NC

Started by Strider, January 03, 2013, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: architect77 on October 15, 2021, 05:59:52 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 09, 2021, 06:22:59 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 09, 2021, 12:07:45 PM
Quote from: architect77 on October 08, 2021, 07:29:59 PM
OK I-640 may not be the name, but I guarantee the completed outerloop in Wake will get one designation to convey it's what it's intended to be: one  loop like Charlotte's I-485.

Folks around here originally called it the "Outer Beltline".  Now that it actually ended up with its own style of "belt buckle", I suspect that it's going to get that same moniker.  But the toll road portion will still get called the "Triangle Expressway".
It will all be 540 and the exit numbers will be consistent around the circle. Most drivers couldn't care less what shape the shields have as long as they all say 540.

I totally disagree. The red, white and blue American interstate shield is unbelievably important to people in catching their attention and knowing what all is associated with that symbol.

But I will admit many people are reliant on GPS telling them how to navigate, and I'll bet many would be challenged to follow a federal or state route using only the signs.

I'm not sure out of towners would associate NC540 and I-540 as being the same highway.

As to someone mentioning a belt buckle whatever that means, it's interesting that the beltline isn't a true loop because its using I-40 to close the gap.

Charlotte folks used to complain that Raleigh was getting its 2nd loop before their first one was even finished. I responded by reminding them that I-485 is longer and has more lane miles than what's completed so far of both Raleigh's loops.

Oh yeah, the out of towners will associate NC 540 and I-540 being the same highway. They can look at the overhead signages. It's right here and large enough so no excuses for not paying attention.

Dirt Roads

Charlotte folks used to complain that Raleigh was getting its 2nd loop before their first one was even finished. I responded by reminding them that I-485 is longer and has more lane miles than what's completed so far of both Raleigh's loops.

I remember that sentiment.  I always figured that they forgot about I-277 being their first loop.

architect77

Quote from: Strider on October 16, 2021, 02:29:51 AM
OK I-640 may not be the name, but I guarantee the completed outerloop in Wake will get one designation to convey it's what it's intended to be: one  loop like Charlotte's I-485.

Folks around here originally called it the "Outer Beltline".  Now that it actually ended up with its own style of "belt buckle", I suspect that it's going to get that same moniker.  But the toll road portion will still get called the "Triangle Expressway".
It will all be 540 and the exit numbers will be consistent around the circle. Most drivers couldn't care less what shape the shields have as long as they all say 540.

I totally disagree. The red, white and blue American interstate shield is unbelievably important to people in catching their attention and knowing what all is associated with that symbol.

But I will admit many people are reliant on GPS telling them how to navigate, and I'll bet many would be challenged to follow a federal or state route using only the signs.

I'm not sure out of towners would associate NC540 and I-540 as being the same highway.

As to someone mentioning a belt buckle whatever that means, it's interesting that the beltline isn't a true loop because its using I-40 to close the gap.

Oh yeah, the out of towners will associate NC 540 and I-540 being the same highway. They can look at the overhead signages. It's right here and large enough so no excuses for not paying attention.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. NC is a state that has business, alternate,  and bypass versions of a single-numbered highway.

They are all completely separate highways, so how would anyone navigating the state with so many versions suddenly surmise that 540 breaks the convention and is a single entity despite using totally different shields?

Even natives from around the state are unlikely to break convention for this one loop.

Strider

Quote from: architect77 on October 23, 2021, 12:35:35 AM
Quote from: Strider on October 16, 2021, 02:29:51 AM

I'm going to respectfully disagree. NC is a state that has business, alternate,  and bypass versions of a single-numbered highway.

They are all completely separate highways, so how would anyone navigating the state with so many versions suddenly surmise that 540 breaks the convention and is a single entity despite using totally different shields?

Even natives from around the state are unlikely to break convention for this one loop.

And keep in mind you're speaking for yourself. That doesn't mean everyone else would have issues.

tolbs17

bob7374

I have posted some of the images from the new Street View imagery, such as this one showing the construction of a new ramp for Future I-295 South from I-95 South, with the current ramp still having an NC 295 shield on its signage:

The rest is on my Future I-295 page:
https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut295.html#photos

The page title will remain Future I-295 until the signs are updated. Based on a July 2021 NCDOT press release the contractor could have started in August but has until spring to update the signs, and apparently they are taking their time.

While I'm here, a construction update-the latest NCDOT Construction Progress Report listing for the contract building I-295 from I-95 in Robeson County to Camden Road showed a dramatic change in project cost and completion date. A prior report in September had the contract listed as 2/3 complete with a July 2023 opening date. The latest report though lists the project as only 41% complete with a new end date of December 2024. What happened? Has the last section to be built from US 401 to Camden Road been added to the project? Is there some needed change to the contract that added cost and time to completion of this segment? I can find nothing on the NCDOT site to explain the change.

RoadPelican

I'm not surprised to read that the segment from 95 to Camden Road has been delayed.  Just two months ago, I drove around on some roads in the construction site and at time the NCDOT site had it slated for completion in July 2022!!!

What I saw during my tour shocked me!!!  There was absolutely ZERO sign of any construction (flags, markers, tree clearing, dirt piles) of an interchange or even a NEW road crossing on Camden Road (the loop is supposed to go somewhere between Farm Circle Rd & Possum Holler Rd).

Also, there has been no construction of an overpass at Lake Upchurch Road.

However, I did see construction of an overpass on Waldo's Beach Rd just south of Balaam Rd but it looked like a bridge to nowhere at least in the direction of Camden Road.

After this personal tour in October, I thought that it was very odd that a project that was supposed to get done less than a year from now has no construction at Camden Road or no overpass at Lake Upchurch Rd.  So the new date of December 2024 makes more sense, but I find it weird that the Fayetteville Observer newspaper or the NCDOT has not made any announcement on this project.

I bet it's probably related to the pandemic, they were ahead of schedule on the segments from All-American Freeway to Cliffdale to US 401, now there not.  Similar to what's going on with the Greensboro Loop, ahead of schedule on Battleground to Lawndale to Elm, now the rest is delayed until 2023, original completion date was late 2021/early 2022.

tolbs17

Unless they are trying to wait until the part from US-401 to Camden Road gets done for a complete connection.

bob7374

Some good news to report. The letting of the contract for the final segment of I-295 has been advanced from October to June 2022, according to the latest NCDOT Tentative Letting List, January to December 2022. The list is available at:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/12%20MONTH%20LET%20LIST%20(JANUARY%202022%20-%20DECEMBER%202022)%20REV1.pdf

tolbs17

This shows evidence that nothing is being done over here...

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9321318,-78.9893346,3a,90y,191.25h,90.22t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szheV9WsdN3XFDHQ6YblCcg!2e0!5s20211101T000000!7i16384!8i8192

And to add to that, has the new alignments of Old Plank Rd and Black bridge road opened yet?

bob7374

Article from Friday about progress in building the Loop. A segment south of Raeford Road (US 401) to Century Circle is to be finished this summer. The entire project is to be completed in 2026. Despite the contractor having until February to complete changing all NC 295 signs to I-295, no mention of whether that has been completed, though the article refers to the Loop as I-295 throughout:
https://www.fayobserver.com/story/news/2022/03/04/ncdot-fayetteville-i-295-construction-raeford-road-summer-completion/9360783002/

tolbs17

Quote from: bob7374 on March 06, 2022, 08:48:17 PM
A segment south of Raeford Road (US 401) to Century Circle is to be finished this summer.
I feel like it will be either signed as I-295 or not signed until the whole beltway is complete.

bob7374

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 06, 2022, 11:24:05 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on March 06, 2022, 08:48:17 PM
A segment south of Raeford Road (US 401) to Century Circle is to be finished this summer.
I feel like it will be either signed as I-295 or not signed until the whole beltway is complete.
Two updates. The contractor charged with replacing the NC 295 shields with I-295 ones has apparently completed the work. Here's the current signage at the US 401 exit to the east/north of Fort Bragg, courtesy of Val Melvin:

NC 295 along the Loop is gone only temporarily. The southernmost section now under construction from I-95 to Camden Road will be signed as NC 295 when opened. The shields will be switched to interstate versions when the final segment between Camden Road and US 401/Raeford Road is completed. Speaking of that contract, it was advertised on Tuesday, April 19 for a June letting. Here is one of the sign plans, showing the initial and final iterations of the I-95 North APL sign for the Loop interchange:

More new photos and sign plans can be found on my Future I-295, NC Future Interstates page:
https://malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut295.html

The Ghostbuster

I would have preferred they sign the entire road as Interstate 295 from the get-go. Then again, I'm not in charge of the 295 project.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 23, 2022, 02:26:06 PM
I would have preferred they sign the entire road as Interstate 295 from the get-go. Then again, I'm not in charge of the 295 project.
Not sure why this segment can't be immediately. It will connect to I-95 upon opening.

bob7374

Latest NCDOT press release about road closures and new routings as part of I-295/Fayetteville Outer Loop project:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-05-13-fayetteville-outer-loop-updates.aspx

bob7374

NCDOT has announced that the contract to build the final 5 mile segment of I-295, from Raeford Road to Camden Road, has been awarded. It is planned to be completed in the summer of 2026, 2 years after the segment from Camden Road to I-95:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-07-08-final-leg-fayetteville-outer-loop.aspx

bob7374

A short section of the Fayetteville Outer Loop between Parkton Road (Exit 2) and Black Bridge Road (Exit 4) is opening today. The rest of the section from Camden Road to I-95 is to be completed by the summer of 2024, the entire Loop in 2026:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-11-21-i-295-segment-opens.aspx

WashuOtaku

Quote from: bob7374 on November 21, 2022, 02:01:15 PM
A short section of the Fayetteville Outer Loop between Parkton Road (Exit 2) and Black Bridge Road (Exit 4) is opening today. The rest of the section from Camden Road to I-95 is to be completed by the summer of 2024, the entire Loop in 2026:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-11-21-i-295-segment-opens.aspx

That will be great for the 10 cars that get lost daily and accidentally find this segment. I'm glad another section is open, but its utilization will be next to none until it connects with I-95 in a couple of years.

Henry

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 23, 2022, 03:37:55 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 23, 2022, 02:26:06 PM
Not sure why this segment can't be immediately. It will connect to I-95 upon opening.
Agreed. However, I'm amazed at how they got away with signing the loop as I-295 with that substandard northern ending.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ARMOURERERIC

This must constitute  some local badly needed connection for a school, hospital or military.  The most recent Google satellite  showed 295 more complete  from 95 to Parkton than Parkton to Black Bridge, might as well just open the whole part down to 95 and label it as: To Parkton Rd, To Black Bridge Rd.

bob7374

I've posted photos, such as this:

of the newly opened section taken a couple weeks ago by site contributor LC at:

Alex

Ended up staying in Fayetteville on the way back south after Christmas. So took some time on the morning we left to check out the newest section of the Fayetteville Outer Loop opened to traffic.

Drove it both directions and only encountered one other car (with a Delaware tag no less). Posted the photos at https://www.aaroads.com/guides/i-295-nc/ and the corresponding north and southbound pages.

The route is signed as NC 295 with small guide signs at the entrance ramps bagged. Signs are already up for I-95 North - Benson for the south end:

I question the selection of the street names used for both exits.
Looking at the Cumberland County, NC GIS viewer, they show Glenn Road extending east from the Robeson County line to a roundabout with a realignment of Black Bridge Road east of Exit 4. Black Bridge Road remains southwest from the roundabout to Calabash Drive.
The parcels along what is shown as Glenn Road show "0 ? DR" or "0 N/A DR" as the site address (I checked the Tax Property Summary on some of the parcels and it was the same), so GIS has not been updated yet to clarify whether it is Glenn Road or part of an extended Black Bridge Road.

Further south at Exit 2, Parkton Road is the name in Cumberland County, but its Leeper Road in Robeson County. NC 71 at the roundabout with Leeper Road only shows a trailblazer for NC 295 with no street blade:

The exchange falls entirely within Robeson County. Was Leeper Road renamed as an extension of Parkton Road, or should the guide signs for Exit 2 display both Leeper and Parkton Roads?

bob7374

Google Street View has updated its images along I-95 and I-295 in the Fayetteville area to as late as last month. Here's a recently placed 2 miles advance overhead for the I-295 exit along I-95 South:

I've placed additional the Street View images on my I-295 Fayetteville Outer Loop site which captures some of the newish I-295 shields that were placed along the Loop last spring, though some NC 295 signs remain, at:

bob7374

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.