Unknown interchange in Pennsylvania

Started by SignBridge, August 21, 2021, 09:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

I've just obtained an old copy of the 1958 book How Superhighways Are Made by David C. Cooke. On page 54 there is a photo of a nearly completed interchange between U.S.1 and U.S.13 in Pennsylvania with route markers shown. It is a complex interchange showing a left-hand exit from southbound Route 1 to Route 13 with hills in the background. It appears not to be the interchange outside Morrisville in Bucks County which is a completely different cloverleaf type junction on flat terrain.

I have overflown all of U.S. 1 in Pennsylvania using Google Earth and can't find any interchange that looks like the one in the photo. Does anyone here know where this place is or was, if maybe it was rebuilt at some point and looks different today?

I've also asked about this on the Pennsylvania Regional Board. Would really appreciate any help.

behogie230

Can you attach a picture from the book? I'd like to see what you're talking about.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Roosevelt Ext interchange with Hunting Park & Broad St?
Maybe City Line & The Schuylkill.
US 1 & US 13 had bypasses, alt routes, and just plain reroutes, in and around Philadelphia over the decades.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Occidental Tourist

At one point in the late 50's and early 60's, Bypass US-13 was routed on the Schuykill Expressway.  And US-1 is still multiplexed with I-76 on a short portion of the Schuykill Expressway.  Does this look like the picture?

Mr. Matté

Photo of the page? (and why did you post this three times?)

SignBridge

You guys got it! It's the interchange of I-76 and Route 1/City Ave, though Occidental Tourist's photo is from the opposite direction. Also correctly suggested by Hot Rod Hootenanny.

To the poster who wondered why I asked the question in multiple threads, the obvious answer is I wanted to give it maximum exposure to knowledgeable guys like yourselves in the hope that someone would know the answer. Sorry if anyone has a problem with that.

I will try to post the photo though I'm kind of weak on this technical computer stuff. The photo from around 1958 looks much more suburban in character. What a difference sixty years makes! Thanks guys for all the help.

SignBridge

I scanned the photo into my computer documents but I can't figure how to get it into AA Roads. Again I'm not the most computer savvy guy. Anyone tell me the procedure?

ozarkman417

Once you have the photo on your computer, you must upload it to a picture hosting site, such as Imgur or Flickr. What you do from there varies by site, but in the case of Imgur, you can just right click your image when it is done uploading by clicking "copy image link". Valid links must end in file extension such as .png or .jpeg. For example, here is the link of Occidental Tourist's photo:
https://i.imgur.com/iMXKc6z.jpeg
Place the photo by pasting and highlighting the link into the text box where you are typing your post, then click the image button. Your result should look like this:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/iMXKc6z.jpeg[/img]

1995hoo

Another alternative is that if you have the Tapatalk app for accessing the forum from a mobile device, they can host the image for you. Just use the option to add the image to your post (after putting the image on your device, of course).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SignBridge

Thanks; the administrator was good enough to send me a PM with a lengthy explanation of the procedure also. Maybe I'll take a crack at it one day when I feel ambitious. Most of the time I'd like to set the clock back to 1987 when the most complicated electronic technology I had to understand was my cable TV box. LOL Computer geek I'm not.

GaryV

^ You managed to get it to stop blinking 12:00?   :-D

SignBridge

LOL Yeah, I can set a digital clock LOL ! Telephone answering machines too!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.