News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Current Legislative Proposals to Increase State DOT Budgets

Started by Plutonic Panda, March 04, 2019, 07:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

^ and got rid of the front license plate while they were at it

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Buck87 on April 06, 2019, 09:20:48 PM
^ and got rid of the front license plate while they were at it
Seems like a good idea. I used to be for two license plates but after considering everything I changed my mind.

Avalanchez71

A gas tax increase and registration fee increase was passed in Tennessee last year.  Luckily those legislators in the House that spearheaded the issue are gone.  Barry Doss and Timothy Wirgau both lost their respective primary bids.  The public said no to the gas tax increase.  Barry Doss was the Chairman of the House Transportation Committee and had the juice to kill the tax.  He did the opposite and paid the price of losing the race.

Both my Senator and Representative were no votes.  They are very much appreciated.

Rothman

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on April 07, 2019, 05:28:14 PM
A gas tax increase and registration fee increase was passed in Tennessee last year.  Luckily those legislators in the House that spearheaded the issue are gone.  Barry Doss and Timothy Wirgau both lost their respective primary bids.  The public said no to the gas tax increase.  Barry Doss was the Chairman of the House Transportation Committee and had the juice to kill the tax.  He did the opposite and paid the price of losing the race.

Both my Senator and Representative were no votes.  They are very much appreciated.
Why?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on April 07, 2019, 07:35:59 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on April 07, 2019, 05:28:14 PM

Why?

Probably because he, like me doesn't want gas prices to go up any more than they already are. Gas is up 50-60 cents, or more, here in Kentucky over what it was just a couple of months ago. Thankfully the gas tax increase and vehicle registration fee increase that was introduced in Kentucky's legislature went nowhere this year. The fact that Republicans introduced the tax and fee increase legislation is absolutely astonishing to me. The sponsor and proponents certainly heard from their constituents over it.

Gas here is $2.799, and it tends to run much higher than other places in Kentucky. Thankfully it's still $2.599 where I work, 25 miles away, and I can fill up there, but if it gets much higher I'm going to go into "no discretionary travel"  and "put in neutral and coast down hills" modes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Although I abhor gas tax revenues being raided for other purposes besides transportation improvements and understand why gas tax increases are so politically unpopular, I would also think that they would be one area where the public should see the sharpest effects of getting what they pay for.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Rothman on April 07, 2019, 10:57:37 PM
Although I abhor gas tax revenues being raided for other purposes besides transportation improvements and understand why gas tax increases are so politically unpopular, I would also think that they would be one area where the public should see the sharpest effects of getting what they pay for.

Because people, in general, have trouble thinking long term. If it isn't an ideological opposition to raising taxes, it's because in the immediate term, a gas tax raise hurts their wallet. They under-appreciate the benefit over the long term. There's also the dreaded problem of construction, which is another shortsighted complaint that so many people love to make.

Plutonic Panda

22 cent gas tax increase proposed for Louisiana(they need it!!!)

QuoteBATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — A Louisiana coalition of contractors and others intends to push a $300 million annual state gasoline tax hike in next year's legislative session.

Republican Rep. Jack McFarland will sponsor the legislation to address a $14 billion backlog of road and bridge work. McFarland noted that Texas, Mississippi and Arkansas have boosted gas taxes to invest in roadwork.

The most recent push to increase the gas tax died in 2017 because of intense opposition. Lawmakers said their constituents have told them they are not interested in paying more at the pump.

Louisiana motorists pay 38.4 cents per gallon in gasoline taxes. The proposal would raise that 22 cents.

- https://www.klfy.com/louisiana/lawmaker-proposes-22-cents-gas-hike-in-louisiana/

Plutonic Panda

A 9 cent increase on fuel tax is proposed for Wyoming:

QuoteMembers of the Joint Revenue Committee advanced a proposal to increase the state's current 24 cent fuel tax by 9 cents Thursday, making it one of just a handful of revenue-raising proposals to escape the committee this interim session.

Backed by state agencies as well as several industry groups, the nine cent tax increase is projected to raise approximately $60 million in funds for local governments as well as the Wyoming Department of Transportation, which is currently grappling with a $136 million gap in funding and few options to raise revenue.

https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/revenue-committee-advances-9-cent-fuel-tax-increase-weighs-potential-tobacco-tax-hike/article_d68b7fd5-43e5-55bb-b7fd-90a0655a8ec8.html

Plutonic Panda

Plutonic Panda

I need to do a better job at keeping this thread updated as there has been tons of proposals to increase budgets with several defeats as well.

Louisiana looks poised to divert auto sales taxes to fund road projects which seems like a no brainer. They also need all the help they can to upgrade their roads.

https://bossierpress.com/louisiana-house-votes-to-divert-auto-sales-taxes-to-road-construction/

Colorado plans on adding over 5 billion to their 10 year road budget which is sorely needed:

https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/news/local/local-politics/colorado-transportation-bill-polis/73-65b2184d-0f54-49f5-a303-af996edb502e

Avalanchez71

I wish they would file a bill to repeal the tax increase.

sprjus4

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 06, 2021, 08:29:29 AM
I wish they would file a bill to repeal the tax increase.
Nah, if anything more is needed.

Plutonic Panda

Plutonic Panda

Colorado has increased its funding though I'm not thrilled with some of the allocations. More information here:

https://landline.media/colorado-senate-passes-3-8-billion-transportation-funding-bill/

Plutonic Panda

Missouri's gas tax increase update:

QuoteThe Secretary of State's Office is now accepting comments on a referendum petition filed to place the recently-passed gas tax hike before voters before it can be implemented.

Jeremy Cady, state director of Americans For Prosperity-Missouri (AFP) filed the referendum petition with the Secretary of State's Office Friday seeking to put the recently-passed legislation gradually increasing the state's gas tax to a vote of the people. The petition suggests placing the proposal on the Nov. 8, 2022 ballot – more than a year after the first increase would take place.

From Senate President Pro Tem Dave Schatz, the legislation would increase Missouri's fuel tax by 2.5 cents annually beginning in October – bumping it up to 29.5 cents from 17 cents by 2025. The funds would go toward fixing the state's roads and bridges and includes a rebate option for drivers. The Senate bill was approved by the General Assembly during the final week of session and awaits action by the governor.

- read more here: https://themissouritimes.com/missouri-gas-tax-increase-could-be-left-up-to-voters-if-new-referendum-is-successful/

Elm

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 18, 2021, 11:50:40 AMColorado has increased its funding though I'm not thrilled with some of the allocations. More information here:

https://landline.media/colorado-senate-passes-3-8-billion-transportation-funding-bill/
You're not alone; there's something to disappoint everyone in it. Even aside from the conflicting goals of 'we should fund roads' and 'we should not fund roads,' the bill's use of "fees" rather than "taxes" brings up more issues.

Tax increases in Colorado must be voted on, but some fees can be set without a vote. Last year, a ballot measure passed that restricted the options for levying fees without a vote, but this bill was written to try to avoid the restrictions. (There's more to it, but those are some broad strokes.)

I'm not sure how far it's been developed now, but there's a ballot measure in the works to reduce the existing gas tax by some amount to counter the new gas fee (CBS4 / 9News / DBJ (paywall)).

Plutonic Panda

Missouri gas tax increase bill moves forward being sent to the governors desk but he has yet to sign it and according to this article he doesn't have long to veto it until it becomes law.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/missouri/parson-vetting-gas-tax-hike-ok-d-by-missouri-lawmakers/article_c0419bbe-e02b-11eb-971b-c39451ae8ad0.html

hbelkins

Voters brought enough pressure on Kentucky's legislature this year that they didn't even consider a rumored gas tax increase. Score one for the good guys, but no doubt they'll try again.

The electorate here is already in a mood to replace RINOs over their failure to impeach the governor over his mishandling of the covid situation, and their failure to pass more restrictive laws to rein in his emergency powers, and next year is both an election year and a biennial budget legislative session year, so it's doubtful a gas tax increase will pass next year either.

And there's really no need, despite the lobbying from the establishment Republicans and the highway contractors. News came out today that the Road Fund is raking in more money, and there's lots of pressure being brought for more responsible spending (eliminating single-bid contracts that exceed estimates, breaking up the asphalt companies' territorial monopolies, etc.).

If gas stays as expensive as it is here, the public will be in no mood to tolerate any artificial price increases.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota made significant increases to motorcycle endorsement and license plate renewal fees, both of which go into the transportation fund.

https://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/comm/docs/DIXsR-o3lUOeH3pjFQXTYA.pdf#page=47
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 09, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
... significant increases to ... license plate renewal fees ...

That's one of my biggest pet peeves.  It shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get a little bitty sticker in the mail.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on July 09, 2021, 02:20:03 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 09, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
... significant increases to ... license plate renewal fees ...

That's one of my biggest pet peeves.  It shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get a little bitty sticker in the mail.

The big increases were to plate replacements, which MN requires every 7 years of a vehicle's life - those went up around $8. Stickers went up by 25 cents.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 09, 2021, 02:01:29 PM
Voters brought enough pressure on Kentucky's legislature this year that they didn't even consider a rumored gas tax increase. Score one for the good guys, but no doubt they'll try again.

The electorate here is already in a mood to replace RINOs over their failure to impeach the governor over his mishandling of the covid situation, and their failure to pass more restrictive laws to rein in his emergency powers, and next year is both an election year and a biennial budget legislative session year, so it's doubtful a gas tax increase will pass next year either.

And there's really no need, despite the lobbying from the establishment Republicans and the highway contractors. News came out today that the Road Fund is raking in more money, and there's lots of pressure being brought for more responsible spending (eliminating single-bid contracts that exceed estimates, breaking up the asphalt companies' territorial monopolies, etc.).

If gas stays as expensive as it is here, the public will be in no mood to tolerate any artificial price increases.
Got the poll data to back this characterization up?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.