Most Expensive State to Get a Speeding Ticket (?)

Started by jeffandnicole, August 29, 2019, 01:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

If I was looking for one of the most inaccurate articles on the internet that didn't involve politics, I think I found it.  On the msn dot com start page was this article: Most Expensive State to Get a Speeding Ticket.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/autoinsurance/most-expensive-states-to-get-a-speeding-ticket/ss-AAFN3Re?ocid=spartandhp

Not only is the article horribly inaccurate, but if one were to click on all 51 pages, you would notice the article constantly contradicts itself, with very little knowledge of the true cost of the ticket.  For the states with the lowest fines, the sentence or two description often makes reference to the lowest fine for a ticket, then mentions the increased fine at certain thresholds.  However, for the most expensive tickets, it often makes reference to the highest fine of a ticket, but mentions fines can start out lower. 

Using examples of states I'm familiar with: For New Jersey: It oddly mentioned the 2nd lowest fine, but never made mention to the lowest ticket fine of $85 for being charged at 9 mph or less.  For PA, it mentions the fine without mandatory surcharges...yet in other states it included the surcharges.   In Montana, it references that there used to be no speed limit whatsoever, which again isn't accurate.  Montana didn't have a maximum speed limit on certain highways at certain times of the day, which is hardly no speed limit statewide.

PHLBOS

Prior to the late 80s, Massachusetts used to be an East Coast speeding ticket bargain for out-of-state drivers: flat $50 fine with no insurance surcharges.

As part of the highway bill that ditched CT's long-standing radar detector ban some 20(?) years ago was a provision that if one was pulled over along a highway doing less than 80; all they would have to do is sign/plead "no contest" & pay the fine and there would be no insurance surcharges.  I believe such applied to both in-state & out-of-state drivers.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.