News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Nicknames for roads?

Started by woodpusher, June 25, 2014, 10:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

The old alignment of MD 23 is called "Old 23" by locals even though it hasn't been Rt 23 in over 50 years! Also, the current alignment is sometimes called "New 23".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 07, 2014, 03:35:11 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 26, 2014, 09:23:05 PMthe Saw Mill River State Parkway is signed as just the Saw Mill Parkway to save space.

That might be about to change...

Oh, man, the NYS parkway signs in FHWA fonts represent a dark time in road marker design.  The Henry Hudson is odd to see in Long Island parkway design (lighthouse), but still looks a world better.

golden eagle

The area where I-20, 55 and US 49 meet just east of Jackson is known as the Stack.

In Atlanta, there's Spaghetti Junction (I-85 and 285 in Dekalb County), and the Downtown Connector where 75 & 85 meet.

sipes23

Some routes, not the state routes, but general routes in New Hampshire have names. The Governor Wentworth Highway or the John Stark Highway, to name two examples.

One even has a website:

http://generalstarkbyway.org/index.php?page=byway-map

mrsman

Quote from: hm insulators on July 08, 2014, 03:32:35 PM
In the Los Angeles area, the South Bay Curve is that sharp bend in I-405 just south of LAX. The "Orange Crush" is where I-5, California 22 and California 57 all tie into each other.

Auto Club of So. Calif. (ACSC) used to print a map labeled "Guide to the L.A. Freeway System" that listed the multiple nicknames of the freeway features commonly used, especially by traffic reporters.  I don't have one in front of me, but this is what I remember:

4-level interchange: 110/101
Downtown Slot: 101 between 10 and 110
San Bernardino Split: 101/10 interchange
E LA Interchange: 5/101/10/60
Malfunction Junction: 405/22/605
El Toro Y: 5/405 in Orange County
Santa Ana Canyon: 91 between OC and Corona
Kellogg Interchange: 10/71/57 in Pomona
Kellogg Hill: 10 approaching the Kellogg Interchange from Covina
Sepulveda Pass: 405 between 101 and Sunset
Cauhenga Pass: 101 between Lankershim and Highland
McClure Tunnel: West end of I-10 approaching PCH
Conejo Grade: 101 between Camarillo and Thousand Oaks
Calabasas Grade: 101 between Agoura Hills and Calabasas
Santa Susana Pass: 118 between Chatsworth and Simi Valley
Newhall Pass: I-5 between I-210 and CA 14
Castaic Grade: Steep climb of I-5 north of Santa Clarita, including section where roadways switch over
Grapevine: Usually refers to entire I-5 from Santa Clarita to Wheeler Ridge, but technically it's just the southern section

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.