News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Dakota

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 20, 2020, 12:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD Mapman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 27, 2023, 01:00:51 PM
Kind of pointless, though, if you do the math.  A 75 mph trip across North Dakota on I-94 is not even 30 minutes slower than a trip across North Dakota at 80 mph on I-94.
The relationship between speed and travel time is non-linear.

I mean, it feels a heck of a lot faster (admittedly subjective, as a runner I am very familiar with the inverse relationship between travel time and speed). Maybe it's just because my dad drove slower than 75 growing up, so now 80 (or 85 if I'm in a rush) feels like teleportation.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

TheHighwayMan3561

Governor Burgum has vetoed the 80 MPH bill. Guess it's up to see how much appetite the legislature may have to override.

He added on the original ND House passage for 80 MPH did not have a veto-proof majority, so it's probably not good on that front.

https://twitter.com/JackFromNoDak/status/1641439333264814088
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Plutonic Panda

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 30, 2023, 05:59:49 PM
Governor Burgum has vetoed the 80 MPH bill. Guess it's up to see how much appetite the legislature may have to override.

He added on the original ND House passage for 80 MPH did not have a veto-proof majority, so it's probably not good on that front.

WHY??  :banghead:

zzcarp

QuoteThe increased risk runs counter to the goals of Vision Zero, North Dakota's multi-agency effort to eliminate fatalities and serious injuries caused by motor vehicle crashes. The 98 fatalities from motor vehicle crashes in North Dakota recorded in 2022 was the lowest annual total in 20 years, yet much work remains to improve seat belt usage in our state. In 2022, approximately 2 out of 3 fatalities were unbelted where seat belts were present in the vehicle.

Compared with secondary enforcement laws, primary seat belt laws have been associated with a 10% to 12% higher observed seat belt use rate according to 2019 data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

A primary seat belt law is a reasonable and responsible means of mitigating the increased risk of a higher speed limit. In the absence of a primary seat belt law, I am unable to support the heightened risk of an increased speed limit on interstates.

The thing is that people are already going 80-85 with the 75 mph speed limit. This would bring speed limits to meet what traffic is already doing. And to try to hinge this limit on a primary seatbelt enforcement for minimal gain in usage is nonsense.

If I were super cynical, I'd say the governor wants to transfer the semi-pretextual stops for speeding (since most cars will be "speeding", the police can be selective on whom they enforce the law) to seatbelts (most police cannot see into a car and see if someone is buckled up except at slow speeds, and they can selectively pull over someone whom they "suspect" of not wearing a seatbelt and then find the suspicion to search the car).
So many miles and so many roads

TheHighwayMan3561

The state legislature, as analysts indicated would happen failed to override the vetoing of the 80 MPH bill, so no increased speed limits coming to BD interstates.

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/north-dakota-house-sustains-burgums-veto-of-80-mph-speed-limit/article_82469380-d22a-11ed-853b-e7216bfb7ddb.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 30, 2023, 05:59:49 PM

Hey, I support his veto of one of those 2 bills. Not the 80 mph one though, he should have signed that one...
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2023/04/10/north-dakota-lawmakers-revive-bill-speed-limit-increase/

It's back!

"The House voted on and passed an amended version of Senate Bill 2168 which deals with speeding violations, the use of safety belts, and traffic fines and penalties. Governor Doug Burgum vetoed a bill last month that would have increased the speed limit to 80 mph. With this bill, lawmakers are hoping to promote several key elements of vehicle safety while also increasing the speed limit and improving the seat belt law.

"The entire time we were working on that senate bill, it was under the context that we would be dealing with 80 mph. When the governor vetoed that, we decided to put in that bill so we could still deal with those speeding fines in such a way that made sense with 80 mph,"  said Rep. Ben Koppelman, R-West Fargo."

Great Lakes Roads

From the USDOT's Rural Surface Transportation Grant Program:

Theodore Roosevelt Expressway Freight Safety Project
Award: $55,000,000
McKenzie County, North Dakota
Applicant: North Dakota Department of Transportation

Project Description:
This project will widen approximately 13.3 miles of the US-85
Corridor in McKenzie County from a two-lane highway to a
four-lane highway while also widening shoulders and
straightening curves from Watford City to I-94.

Project Benefits:
The project is strong in Safety; Economic Impacts, Freight
Movement and Job Creation; and Innovation. The project is
expected to address safety by upgrading this 2-lane rural road
to a 4-lane road, which will improve access to emergency
services and medical transportation needs in a remote area. The
project will also facilitate the transport of goods in an important
agricultural region of the country. The corridor improvements
include innovative ITS devices, such as the Weigh in Motion
sensors, dynamic message signs, and environmental sensor
stations (ESS). Additionally, NDDOT has established agreements
with Tribal Consultation Committees and has applied digital
stakeholder engagement strategies in the planning for this
project.

WestDakota

The Grant Marsh bridge on I-94 in Bismarck needs to be replaced, so they've combined a study of replacing it with redoing the 94/194 intersection and exit to Mandan.

One option mentioned was to build a tunnel under the Missouri instead of a bridge.  Doesn't really seem practical, it feels to me like one option they give just to have multiple options to choose from.

Westbound 94 from bridge will most likely be rebuilt next to the eastbound roadway so two left exits can be removed. They've also mentioned the option of local only lanes to let drivers stay separate from the through traffic.  For instance, when leaving Mandan, they could have a split in the roadway so if you want to get in Bismarck Expressway, you could get in a lane that takes you there without having to merge onto 94 and then exit off.

https://www.dot.nd.gov/projects/bismarck/midway-grantmarsh/

brad2971

Quote from: WestDakota on January 07, 2024, 01:37:17 AM
The Grant Marsh bridge on I-94 in Bismarck needs to be replaced, so they've combined a study of replacing it with redoing the 94/194 intersection and exit to Mandan.

One option mentioned was to build a tunnel under the Missouri instead of a bridge.  Doesn't really seem practical, it feels to me like one option they give just to have multiple options to choose from.

Westbound 94 from bridge will most likely be rebuilt next to the eastbound roadway so two left exits can be removed. They've also mentioned the option of local only lanes to let drivers stay separate from the through traffic.  For instance, when leaving Mandan, they could have a split in the roadway so if you want to get in Bismarck Expressway, you could get in a lane that takes you there without having to merge onto 94 and then exit off.

https://www.dot.nd.gov/projects/bismarck/midway-grantmarsh/

I saw this a few days ago. Two things:

1. If NDDOT and the city of Mandan are willing to be rid of the Main Ave. half-exit and have local traffic rely on Mandan Ave for their exit, the solution is quite simple with a trumpet exit from the right (instead of left) lane.

2. I hope that NDDOT has been paying attention to the heavy delays SDDOT has been experiencing with their Pierre Missouri River bridge replacement (at least two years). Specifically, NDDOT needs to be taking advantage of the two extra 4-lane bridges to the south and CLOSE I-94 at the Missouri River in order to get this replacement finished.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: brad2971 on January 07, 2024, 01:12:41 PM
Specifically, NDDOT needs to be taking advantage of the two extra 4-lane bridges to the south and CLOSE I-94 at the Missouri River in order to get this replacement finished.

Well that's completely unnecessary.  Plenty of room to build a new bridge next to the existing one either up or down stream, then shift traffic over when its done.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.