News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Cross-posted from the Massachusetts thread.
From the movie, Alice's Restaurant.  See 1:13:30 for a scene showing old-style MA bookleaf sign.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP05C_agI3k
GPS does NOT equal GOD

D-Dey65

Okay, a couple of years back I attended a Rifftrax Live satellite feed of "Rifftrax Summer Shorts Beach Party" and found this 1978 "educational" film called "Ricky Raccoon Shows the Way." Now, I originally thought it was filmed in South Carolina, but somebody told me most of the scenes were shot in Charlotte, North Carolina. Although I'm wondering about one sign in a montage.

https://archive.org/details/RickyRaccoonShowsTheWay

Which side of the Buster Boyd Bridge is(or was) that Buster Boyd Landing sign at 7:28 into the movie on?

D-Dey65

There are some hilarious looking fake parking signs in the February 2019 Rebel Wilson spoof "Isn't It Romantic."

http://www.onthesetofnewyork.com/isntitromantic.html

Mostly some love and wedding oriented signs. I tried to get the pictures from that link, but you know... the restrictions of newer computers.

UPDATE: Here it is on the right side of the pic.
https://ibb.co/w6zWKgT

GreenLanternCorps

The Hallmark 2016 Christmas movie "Love You Like Christmas"  is set in Northeast Ohio and has a scene with pathfinder signs for US 6 and US 322, which are in NE Ohio.

PHLBOS

In one early scene of the 1974 car-chase movie Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, when Larry (Peter Fonda) was still driving the blue '66 Chevy Impala (the movie script mistakenly states such as a '67 and/or '68 Chevy twice); one sees a diamond warning sign that simply reads END as well as a square railroad crossing sign that's posted underneath a STOP sign.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 06, 2019, 11:43:46 AM
In one early scene of the 1974 car-chase movie Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, when Larry (Peter Fonda) was still driving the blue '66 Chevy Impala (the movie script mistakenly states such as a '67 and/or '68 Chevy twice); one sees a diamond warning sign that simply reads END as well as a square railroad crossing sign that's posted underneath a STOP sign.

Haven't seen the film in years, but the square railroad crossing sign was likely for a private crossing.  A similar sign appears in one scene in Duel.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Max Rockatansky

In Sonic the Hedgehog the title character has an I-90 in addition to various other Highway signs in his cave.  There is a chase scene on Interstate 5 in Siskiyou County, California. 

D-Dey65

This 1993 drama "A Home of Our Own" starring Kathy Bates has a scene with some terrible signage on some road that's supposedly in the 1950's in California:
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1360541.html
US 15 is near the east coast, people! And US highway shields were never shaped like Interstate ones!

Max Rockatansky

Onward had a fictional Interstate-like Freeway system and State Highway network which included signage/shields. 

ErmineNotyours

Here's an unintentional road sign in a movie.  Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was filmed in Munich, West Germany in 1970.  The gated courtyard to the factory has a road sign when viewed towards the gate.  In the movie, the factory has been there for a long time, so a sign for a left curve with a side road seems unlikely for the exit to a courtyard.  What probably happened was the location scouts for the movie thought that this local street looked like a good place to put the factory entrance, and they forgot to remove the sign.  I would love to find a Google Street view of this area to see if it still looks recognizable, but I didn't have any luck when I tried to find the location a few years ago.

sbeaver44

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on March 16, 2020, 12:05:18 AM
Here's an unintentional road sign in a movie.  Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was filmed in Munich, West Germany in 1970.  The gated courtyard to the factory has a road sign when viewed towards the gate.  In the movie, the factory has been there for a long time, so a sign for a left curve with a side road seems unlikely for the exit to a courtyard.  What probably happened was the location scouts for the movie thought that this local street looked like a good place to put the factory entrance, and they forgot to remove the sign.  I would love to find a Google Street view of this area to see if it still looks recognizable, but I didn't have any luck when I tried to find the location a few years ago.

10 Emmy-Noether-Straße is the address of the front gate.  I'd link GSV but I'm on mobile and it uses an app-specific URL

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 16, 2020, 07:38:31 AM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on March 16, 2020, 12:05:18 AM

10 Emmy-Noether-Straße is the address of the front gate.  I'd link GSV but I'm on mobile and it uses an app-specific URL
Is this it?
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.1728774,11.5307829,3a,75y,42.06h,94.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7TgiK3yt_y_gyxor2az-xQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 16, 2020, 07:46:49 AM

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.1728774,11.5307829,3a,75y,42.06h,94.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7TgiK3yt_y_gyxor2az-xQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Wow, that's it exactly.  The street view is on the other side of the guard house from the movie, and since I just saw that scene again I can tell it's the exact reverse angle that is in the movie.  That grassy area is not a street any more, though I noticed after I posted the photo that the post for the street sign is on the street side of the curb, which seems odd.  In the street view you can see another similar curve sign, pointing the other direction.

EDIT: Well there goes that.  Stupid German privacy laws.   :banghead:

ErmineNotyours

For some reason I remember this.  The movie Betrayed (1988) has a character getting kidnapped, being taken to Chicago instead of Denver.  At the time I knew that there would be nowhere that would have both cities on one assembly like this.  Knowing more about signs now, I know they would never have just cities an no routes at an exit gore.

GaryV

There's a Kia ad about their response to homelessness and COVID, that features a sign showing US 64, US 412 and a state route 51.  Is that in Tulsa?

Route66Fan

I saw this odd looking orange colored US 65 shield in the MacGyver 1985: Season 3 episode "Jack in the Box", which takes place in Arkansas. I can't tell what it says at the top.

I previously had posted this message in the "TV-Movie Road inaccuracies that drive you crazy!" thread, but decided to delete that message & repost it here.

STLmapboy

I watched Dirty Harry the other day. At the end, as the killer with the school bus of hostages is going up US-101 north of San Francisco, he urges the bus driver to exit on Sir Francis Drake Blvd in San Rafael (south of 580). Signs and ramps on the then-somewhat new freeway are shown quite a bit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA8GktHs-3k). I looked on GSV and the exact same SFD Blvd button copy xit sign is still there (https://www.google.com/maps/@37.935708,-122.516618,3a,74.1y,45.9h,84.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBcWA9yE-Kjgk7mNep4Lk_A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192). There is an added hospital decal.
This movie is from 1971. Oh, California...  :rolleyes:
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

1995hoo

Searched the forum and didn't find this anywhere. Cutouts in "Back to the Future" ; this scene is set in 1985. (The reason that blue banner is there is because this video was about the original actress who played Jennifer, Claudia Wells; it showed up in my YouTube recommendations. I'd never noticed the cutouts before, and I would not have seen them now if Jennifer had been on-screen at the same time!)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thenetwork

Has anybody caught the Progressive Insurance "Sign Spinner" ad that's on TV now?

A lady pulls up to the spinner and asks how to get to I-70, only to get no help.

Innocent little commercial....UNTIL you see that the lady is in New York state, hundreds of miles from I-70!  The commercial takes place at an intersection where there is clearly a BGS that shows a NY-100 shield on an overhead.  Those familiar with the area can probably add the specifics, and give an better estimate of how far away I-70 really is.

I don't think Progressive purposely designed the joke around the fact that she is hundreds of miles off her route.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZyYw/progressive-sign-holder

D-Dey65

Quote from: thenetwork on May 11, 2020, 01:43:53 PM
Has anybody caught the Progressive Insurance "Sign Spinner" ad that's on TV now?

A lady pulls up to the spinner and asks how to get to I-70, only to get no help.

Innocent little commercial....UNTIL you see that the lady is in New York state, hundreds of miles from I-70!  The commercial takes place at an intersection where there is clearly a BGS that shows a NY-100 shield on an overhead.  Those familiar with the area can probably add the specifics, and give an better estimate of how far away I-70 really is.

I don't think Progressive purposely designed the joke around the fact that she is hundreds of miles off her route.

I saw that commercial, and I was convinced that had to be shot in White Plains, or Scarsdale, or someplace like that. But yes, they're both a long was from I-70.

1995hoo

Quote from: thenetwork on May 11, 2020, 01:43:53 PM

I believe it was mentioned in a thread about Super Bowl commercials or similar. It's come up somewhere on the forum.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

It's been mentioned all over the Roadgeek-related Facebook forums.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

I believe in that women's bladder underwear comneecial the Broward Bridge in Jacksonville appears.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Who has seen the 2009 indie flick "Paper Man?"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437405/?ref_=ttloc_loc_tt

The movie was shot in Montauk, and the opening theme segment involves a drive along the Long Island Expressway with scenes from Islandia to Manorville, and one scene on Montauk Point State Parkway at the west end of Old Montauk Highway near Hither Hills State Park.

STLmapboy

Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke" (1978) has scenes on 210 and 110 when the latter was still CA-11. It's remarkable how little the Arroyo Seco Pkwy has changed. 210 appears when Cheech and Chong pick up the two hookers at the La Tuna Cyn Rd interchange (when the freeway was very new).
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.