News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: famartin on September 30, 2020, 10:50:37 PM
So, the SLD still shows CR 583 along its present alignment (at least, last I looked), but this snippet suggests Mercer has essentially removed it, and NJDOT has certainly removed signage for it as requested.
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/about/R_2015_d_127_(47_NJR_1979(a)).pdf
I believe 583 is town-maintained but it doesn't surprise me as still being on the books.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Alps on October 01, 2020, 12:05:05 AM
Quote from: famartin on September 30, 2020, 10:50:37 PM
So, the SLD still shows CR 583 along its present alignment (at least, last I looked), but this snippet suggests Mercer has essentially removed it, and NJDOT has certainly removed signage for it as requested.
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/about/R_2015_d_127_(47_NJR_1979(a)).pdf
I believe 583 is town-maintained but it doesn't surprise me as still being on the books.

The county still maintains the part along Princeton Ave. (ironically actually what should be state highway- US 206 southbound) and designates it as such and even their own signal blades have them. They really should just extend up 653 from Calhoun St. to Lawrenceville Road (actual state-maintained 206) and be done with it.

But then again, I'm just a lowly county committeeperson for a certain party there, not the county executive nor the transportation director (both of whom are directly related to other major politicians, who says nepotism runs rampant in Mercer County?).

akotchi

There is still a stray County Route marker on the north side of the I-295 interchange which has never been removed.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Mr. Matté

New variation on NJ installation of police "respect muh authoritay" (and non-compliant) blue road striping I spotted on my bike ride through Hunterdon County on Saturday: in front of the NJSP station on Route 12 in Kingwood some of the single yellow dashed lines were painted over with blue. How did this happen on a state highway? I've also spotted the original variation on 71 in Belmar and 23 in Cedar Grove.

Alps

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 04, 2020, 12:31:20 AM
New variation on NJ installation of police "respect muh authoritay" (and non-compliant) blue road striping I spotted on my bike ride through Hunterdon County on Saturday: in front of the NJSP station on Route 12 in Kingwood some of the single yellow dashed lines were painted over with blue. How did this happen on a state highway? I've also spotted the original variation on 71 in Belmar and 23 in Cedar Grove.
Guarantee it was done locally without state input. Let's see if the state does anything about it.

famartin

Saw this on CR 523 in Hunterdon too, not far from where you saw it on 12.

TheDon102

who cares

Mr. Matté

Quote from: TheDon102 on October 05, 2020, 12:40:03 PM

who cares

It's not compliant with the MUTCD. A budding lawyer who say takes the case of someone involved in an accident there might be able to sue the state, even if they didn't apply the improper marking, for having improper lane markings. Also, the feds might be able to make a case for not funding transportation improvements to the state if they allow it to remain à la Florida's multicolored US shields (though unlikely considering right now the fed is run by someone who constantly screams out "LAW AND ORDER").

TheDon102

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 05, 2020, 12:59:41 PM

who cares

It's not compliant with the MUTCD. A budding lawyer who say takes the case of someone involved in an accident there might be able to sue the state, even if they didn't apply the improper marking, for having improper lane markings. Also, the feds might be able to make a case for not funding transportation improvements to the state if they allow it to remain à la Florida's multicolored US shields (though unlikely considering right now the fed is run by someone who constantly screams out "LAW AND ORDER").

You're seething over the color blue.

Also the person who runs the fed lives in you're head rent free

_Simon

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 05, 2020, 12:59:41 PM

who cares

Convince some friends with physical disabilities to just park in the middle of the road with their placards properly displayed.  Short of a gross misunderstanding over what the lines mean such as that, no one is going to change it.  I could list MUTCD violations for days from many states; you'd probably have more traction citing how nonreflective the lines are than citing MUTCD requirements.

SM-G965U

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6794633,-74.0948189,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spyHgw-gT2Eu1cdMLwbspRQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Like the circular arrows on the I-78 and I-95 shields here.  Obviously a NJTA install and not NJDOt.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on October 06, 2020, 12:13:40 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6794633,-74.0948189,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spyHgw-gT2Eu1cdMLwbspRQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Like the circular arrows on the I-78 and I-95 shields here.  Obviously a NJTA install and not NJDOt.

They've been posted all over lately. I think the nicest touch was that they used Interstate shield blue instead of NJTP trailblazer green, like they had done until recently:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4849107,-74.4372335,3a,75y,26.71h,75.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szRIknTYwD0XN8nlPBDmyQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on October 06, 2020, 12:20:51 PM

I actually like these.  They are so cool.  Glad to see I-78 is finally getting mentioned and also noticed the NJ 440 and I-78 connection looks like it was redone recently as the flyovers and bridge over NJ 440 and the Light Rail line look very new.

They've been posted all over lately. I think the nicest touch was that they used Interstate shield blue instead of NJTP trailblazer green, like they had done until recently:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4849107,-74.4372335,3a,75y,26.71h,75.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szRIknTYwD0XN8nlPBDmyQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: famartin on October 06, 2020, 12:20:51 PM

They've been popping up for a while, including the 95 shields (Turnpike Authority finally wants to own that 95 runs over a large part of their roadway!). They started popping up in Woodbridge and Carteret for the past 18 months or so.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/dU4qG2sCMUXgdMJcA

What kind of stunt is this?  The guide sign is not only awful, but not MUTCD compliant as well.

What happened to the original guides that were large and normal freeway style that once stood here for decades?

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2020, 08:31:50 AM

What kind of stunt is this?  The guide sign is not only awful, but not MUTCD compliant as well.

What happened to the original guides that were large and normal freeway style that once stood here for decades?

Like many overhead sign structures, "decades old" probably means they need to be replaced.  Some are replaced faster than others. Using GSV, it appears these butterfly structures have been missing for about a decade now!

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2020, 03:42:56 PM

Like many overhead sign structures, "decades old" probably means they need to be replaced.  Some are replaced faster than others. Using GSV, it appears these butterfly structures have been missing for about a decade now!
The sign itself is generally MUTCD compliant, just undersized.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on October 10, 2020, 05:15:49 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 10, 2020, 03:42:56 PM

The sign itself is generally MUTCD compliant, just undersized.
I think I drove by that sign, completely missed it, took the exit, went back and then drove by again, and almost missed it the second time, when I was taking pictures along 280 back in July.

famartin

It's funny how they actually sign the Turnpike with its proper (IMHO) control cities near a popular attraction for out-of-staters (Six Flags)...

roadman65

Quote from: famartin on October 11, 2020, 12:56:52 AM
It’s funny how they actually sign the Turnpike with its proper (IMHO) control cities near a popular attraction for out-of-staters (Six Flags)...

That is a welcome change to update these signs including adding I-95 as well.  Older signs (from the 80's) had only the NJ Turnpike.   Though I would still use Shore Points for east as many visitors to Six Flags are heading to many resorts along the coast, in this case the rule can be ignored, or do what NYSDOT does on the LIE and use Eastern LI with Riverhead to satisfy both the Feds and locals.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on October 11, 2020, 11:41:45 AM
It's funny how they actually sign the Turnpike with its proper (IMHO) control cities near a popular attraction for out-of-staters (Six Flags)...

That is a welcome change to update these signs including adding I-95 as well.  Older signs (from the 80's) had only the NJ Turnpike.   Though I would still use Shore Points for east as many visitors to Six Flags are heading to many resorts along the coast, in this case the rule can be ignored, or do what NYSDOT does on the LIE and use Eastern LI with Riverhead to satisfy both the Feds and locals.

"Shore Points" hasn't been the official control city used for about 10-15 years now.

famartin

This was the only sign I saw like this. The sign at the actual exit for I-195 EB still says "shore points". An additional sign included near that one says only "Trenton" for I-195 WB, and then at the actual ramp, it just had "West 195 TO 95/NJTP" with no cities.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on October 11, 2020, 10:24:35 PM

This was the only sign I saw like this. The sign at the actual exit for I-195 EB still says "shore points". An additional sign included near that one says only "Trenton" for I-195 WB, and then at the actual ramp, it just had "West 195 TO 95/NJTP" with no cities.

There was a discussion on here a while back, but this sign came about as part of the signage modifications due to 95 becoming 295.

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2020, 11:12:42 PM
There was a discussion on here a while back, but this sign came about as part of the signage modifications due to 95 becoming 295.

I assumed as much. Its interesting though that on the actual sign for 95/NJTP on I-195, it says "New York/Camden" instead of the "New York/Philadelphia" used here. It would be nice... (I know I'm asking a lot for the NJTA to change cities)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on October 12, 2020, 06:23:55 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 11, 2020, 11:12:42 PM

I assumed as much. Its interesting though that on the actual sign for 95/NJTP on I-195, it says "New York/Camden" instead of the "New York/Philadelphia" used here. It would be nice... (I know I'm asking a lot for the NJTA to change cities)

Remember, this is a sign to help guide people from Great Adventure. You're thinking of it in terms of a NJ Turnpike destination sign. The 95/NJ Tpk shields and the destination cities shown aren't exactly mean to be fully related here. One can easily take 295 or 29 to get to Philly also.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.