News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on August 17, 2021, 11:25:36 PM
Wonder if the eastbound counterpart has West Orange and TO Essex County Route 577.

Obviously, the same engineer who designed the I-195 pull throughs with the with TO NJ 138 and TO NJ 29 engineered this. Again on I-195 they omit the Turnpike, Parkway, and I-295 and just use the two Routes 29 and 138 because at both ends the freeway defaults into them not realizing that the importance of the connecting routes would be more important than the continuing routes are in the minds of travelers.

Route 24 has the same issue with I-287 being signed at Exit 48 on I-78 local in Springfield. The contractor who amended the previous implied NJ 24 and NJ 124 concurrency that never existed placed I-287 to compliment Morristown as NJ 24 ends at it not realizing I-78 interchanges also with it 18 miles further. So, for example, if someone on local 78 is heading for I-287 South for Piscataway would see the sign, exit at Route 24, and head south on I-287 from Morristown.

By this logic, all pull through signs on I-287 in Bergen- Passaic will use TO NJ 440 and Perth Amboy going south where using TO I-80 would work better.  Then NB from the Turnpike it would have TO I -87 in addition to Mahwah on all pull through that way.

Assuming those signs are replaced anytime soon, that is indeed likely to occur.  I suspect either their chief sign engineer, or a policy change, exists to cause the installation of this odd signage. Remember this is probably also the same one who decided to sign "EAST I-280 to I-95/NJTP / Kearny" instead of using the more prominent "Newark" along I-280 well west of Newark proper.

The sign on NJ 10 westbound at I-287 is new, it was installed within the last year. I don't think they have a pull through going eastbound. In fact, I don't recall if they even replaced the signs going eastbound - that area was under construction a year ago, but I want to say it was just westbound on NJ 10 that was being worked on. Here are the signs from a year ago:

NJ 10 westbound (these were replaced, notice the ongoing construction)

NJ 10 eastbound (I think these are still in place, notice the lack of construction)

roadman65

In Newfoundland along NJ 23 at LaRue Road, I noticed on GSV that the SB jug handle is closed off with LaRue Road being one way SB.  I assume it was because left turns on LaRue to Route 23 was having to wait on traffic leaving the jug handle traffic  from Route 23 SB to LaRue Road.

Considering that the median of Route 23 is super mega wide at that particular location, why didn't they just allow a direct left turn from SB Route 23 to LaRue Road instead of converting LaRue into a one way? The purpose of a jug handle is for the left turns that would have to wait on oncoming traffic to be moved to the ramp instead. Left turns on Route 23 south to LaRue does not face that problem.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Someone please remind NJDOT that I-287 goes to Mahwah these days, not Boonton.

Quote from: roadman65 on August 18, 2021, 07:47:11 PM
In Newfoundland along NJ 23 at LaRue Road, I noticed on GSV that the SB jug handle is closed off with LaRue Road being one way SB.  I assume it was because left turns on LaRue to Route 23 was having to wait on traffic leaving the jug handle traffic  from Route 23 SB to LaRue Road.

Are you referring to Cross Rd? The jug handle was redundant, they can use Clinton Rd. instead. That movement also serves Union Valley Rd./CR-513 traffic wanting to go south, so it was likely an operational improvement. The locals all use the Clinton Rd. light anyway.

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 18, 2021, 07:54:23 PM

Quote from: roadman65 on August 18, 2021, 07:47:11 PM

Are you referring to Cross Rd? The jug handle was redundant, they can use Clinton Rd. instead. That movement also serves Union Valley Rd./CR-513 traffic wanting to go south, so it was likely an operational improvement. The locals all use the Clinton Rd. light anyway.

Well signs on Route 23 call it LaRue Road. It always had as long as I can remember. My cousin use to own Outdoorsman Sports Shop nearby, and we would visit him a lot when I was kid.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

What's wrong with it?  This forum is filled with people that think the next control city should be every significant town or whatever is 10 miles down the highway.

famartin

I was surprised to see the Boonton signs last year along NJ 10 since they were definitely fairly new (this century), and not pre-extension. I'd guess they were replaced at some point but were not updated (ie a pure copy job without thinking). The new signs WB now say Mahwah.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on July 17, 2021, 12:56:05 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on July 16, 2021, 08:57:07 PM
Wittpenn Bridge Update: I went past it this week while riding a PATH train. The bridge itself and the eastern approach appear to be complete. However the western approach still has work being done and the roadway is cluttered with construction vehicles, etc. But it's almost there.
The whole thing looks like it's done (from a vehicular perspective) but it's clear they're doing surficial work on various items still.

Alps, were you able to get an update on this before you went on vacation?  I presume that it is still not open since I was unable to find any news articles on it.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

What difference does Boonton vs. Mahwah make. On NJ 10 being it's a local highway Boonton still makes an ideal choice.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: famartin on August 19, 2021, 03:28:27 AM

I was surprised to see the Boonton signs last year along NJ 10 since they were definitely fairly new (this century), and not pre-extension. I'd guess they were replaced at some point but were not updated (ie a pure copy job without thinking). The new signs WB now say Mahwah.
Yeah I think it was an in-house copy, not a consultant who should have noticed the issue.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 19, 2021, 10:57:14 AM
Quote from: Alps on July 17, 2021, 12:56:05 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on July 16, 2021, 08:57:07 PM
Wittpenn Bridge Update: I went past it this week while riding a PATH train. The bridge itself and the eastern approach appear to be complete. However the western approach still has work being done and the roadway is cluttered with construction vehicles, etc. But it's almost there.
The whole thing looks like it's done (from a vehicular perspective) but it's clear they're doing surficial work on various items still.

Alps, were you able to get an update on this before you went on vacation?  I presume that it is still not open since I was unable to find any news articles on it.
I only know it's not open, not when it might.

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on August 19, 2021, 02:17:03 PM
What difference does Boonton vs. Mahwah make. On NJ 10 being it's a local highway Boonton still makes an ideal choice.

10 is local (relatively), 287 is not. In any case, this is related to historical precedent: Before I-287 was completed, I-287 north was signed for Boonton north of Morristown, since that's as far as it went. After completion in 1993, most signs were changed to Mahwah, but these obviously missed the cut. 

roadman65

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49322554911_1c1eb53bfa_c.jpg
If NJDOT was in charge of the overhead sign at I-95's southern terminus.

This sign would have Houlton, ME as a control city here with a TO New Brunswick Highway 95 shield next to I-95.
:sombrero:

Sheryl Crowe

billpa

If Maryland was in charge it would say New York City.

Pixel 2

ekt8750

Quote from: billpa on August 20, 2021, 02:42:51 PM

Pixel 2

LOL

famartin

Quote from: billpa on August 20, 2021, 02:42:51 PM

Pixel 2
No,  Baltimore and New York 😂

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 18, 2021, 10:10:53 PM

What's wrong with it?  This forum is filled with people that think the next control city should be every significant town or whatever is 10 miles down the highway.

In this case, Mahwah has been the northernmost control city for 287 since the final northern stretch of the freeway opened in 1993. Clearly the sign in question was a replace in kind without any update to the legend since then.

roadman65

On I-287 going north of Morristown there really isn't an ideal control city. Anyone can do including Pompton Lakes which is on a guide in  Bedminster.  However being Mahwah is near the Thruway junction, it will have to do and I myself do not see an issue with it.  The Thruway is a familiar artery that many have to use if they follow I-287 to the very end. So it's appropriate.

Sheryl Crowe

02 Park Ave

The Thruway itself would be the most logical destination to display.  However, that is not permitted.  One would think that these signs are there to aid the motorists rather than to provide them with a geography lesson.
C-o-H

artmalk

Here is the problem with choosing a contol city for I-287.  At the state line, you can go east on 287 (Thruway South)to the Cuomo/TZ  Bridge, or stay north on I-87 and Thruway North to Albany.  To show all these options further south on 287 would be too confusing.  Of course Albany is more important than Mahwah, but even to sign it "287 to 87 Albany" would totally ignore another significant destination to continue on 287.  So for lack of a better option it does no harm just to show Mahwah until you actually get to the state line intersection.

SignBridge

They could use Suffern, New York which is where the Thruway interchange is, or would that be a sin to use a city in another state, even if it's right at the state line?

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on August 22, 2021, 07:49:17 PM
They could use Suffern, New York which is where the Thruway interchange is, or would that be a sin to use a city in another state, even if it's right at the state line?

The problem is no direct exit to Suffern from I-287. Have to go the opposite way on the Thruway to Exit 15A.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on August 22, 2021, 10:55:41 PM

The problem is no direct exit to Suffern from I-287. Have to go the opposite way on the Thruway to Exit 15A.
You can use Exit 14B fairly easily as well, which is on I-287. In any case, the lack of a "direct exit" hasn't ever stopped NJDOT before... I-295 doesn't go directly to Princeton, I-195 doesn't go directly to Trenton, and I-78 doesn't go directly to Phillipsburg.

Alps

Suffern is no more notable than Mahwah.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on August 23, 2021, 12:30:59 AM
Suffern is no more notable than Mahwah.
White Plains is probably the most notable location along I-287 northeast of Morristown, I would think.

roadman65

Suffern used to used on Route 17 as well, but in the eighties they slowly converted to Mahwah. Route 17 actually has two exits in NJ that serve Suffern: Franklin Turnpike and US 202.  Though I am not really that against using it, but getting too it from I-287 north is awkward as you have to go north on the Thruway and backtrack south along NY 59 East.

Then you have to do a roundabout action if you use 14B as well.  So even though I-387 literally goes through Downtown Suffern. It access to it is cut off. Even if NJDOT built a ramp at where US 202 crosses its path  in Mahwah, it would be better accessible.

In Wayne you have a mileage sign that uses Ramapo instead of Suffern where US 202 leaves NJ 23.  To respond to SignBridge as he is partially right in NJDOT ignoring Suffern, as they use it’s town locale there.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.