News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Central Artery

Started by Sykotyk, July 17, 2009, 11:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sykotyk

I'll be in Boston on Sunday and am going to drive around a bit. Anything noteworthy to see around the Big Dig? I won't be going to the airport, but will be taking I-90 into town and I-93 north. Not sure if I'll return that way our clinch part of the I-95 inner loop.

Sykotyk

Alps

At this point there's not much left of the Dig.  You can go up US 1 to check out the Tobin Bridge (lower level is NB but no toll) and then see the stubs of I-95 at the MA 60 circle (best seen from a hotel parking lot, just walk out the back).  There are a couple of old shields kicking around Boston, like the C1/C9 shield on Beacon St. WB (look on the left side just west of Mass. Ave.) and an MA 28 just south of downtown where it crosses the Orange Line and then turns right.  The Longfellow Bridge I would call a must-see (with old MA 3 shields too), just watch your speed if you take it Cambridge-bound because cops love to sit on that side.  (Or take Memorial Drive so they don't catch you.)  Storrow Drive is another must-see, and if you're out that way, make sure to drive northbound on old US 1 (Charlesgate/Fenway) to see some US 1 shields still kicking about.  (Mostly NB on Fenway/EB on Storrow at their junction.)  Then there's MA 99 north of the city.  Where it now goes into an underpass, there had been an overpass once upon a time as well for a three-level complicated intersection.  That was torn down years ago, but I believe the stub still remains.  There's plenty more, but those are some of the highlights.

Sykotyk

That was freakin' AWESOME.

Got to see Fenway for the first time, as well. Didn't realize it was JUST south of I-90. The exit out of the Big Dig onto the bridge was great. Sucks it is a left-turn to get on US-1. The Tobin Bridge is an oldie, but I'm sure it'll be nice driving back through on the upper deck.

Sykotyk

Revive 755

agentsteel53

Quote from: Sykotyk on July 19, 2009, 09:25:31 PM

Got to see Fenway for the first time, as well. Didn't realize it was JUST south of I-90.

indeed, it is very close.  I do not know if this has ever happened, but the announcers constantly joke about a long enough home run hitting the pike.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 25, 2010, 04:40:04 PM
Quote from: Sykotyk on July 19, 2009, 09:25:31 PM

Got to see Fenway for the first time, as well. Didn't realize it was JUST south of I-90.

indeed, it is very close.  I do not know if this has ever happened, but the announcers constantly joke about a long enough home run hitting the pike.
Yes, it's happened, but only 2 or 3 times.  Generally they fall into the street.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.