News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stadium and team naming

Started by Laura, August 28, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spooky

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 04, 2020, 05:59:02 AM
Quote from: thspfc on August 03, 2020, 09:41:05 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 03, 2020, 09:35:40 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 03, 2020, 05:15:30 AM
It will be funny to see any game involving "the" Football Team, like if the other 31 NFL teams didn't exist at all. Yes, I consider "Football Team" to be the new monicker of the Washington, ahem, American football team :sombrero:.
I imagine announcers will just say "Giants vs. Washington" and, outside of discussion, refer to them as "Washington" throughout.
Why don't they just go with Washington Washingtons temporarily?
It might offend all the people with the last name of Washington out there ;)

Washington Football Team might be offensive to actual football teams.

1995hoo

Quote from: ftballfan on August 03, 2020, 10:35:12 PM
It will be funny to see any game involving "the" Football Team, like if the other 31 NFL teams didn't exist at all. Yes, I consider "Football Team" to be the new monicker of the Washington, ahem, American football team :sombrero:.
I imagine announcers will just say "Giants vs. Washington" and, outside of discussion, refer to them as "Washington" throughout.
I think a lot of media were referring to them as Washington in the past few years. Side note: when the CFL had a few teams in the States, the team in Baltimore was called the Baltimore Football Club for a while before becoming the Baltimore Stallions.

That was a slightly different situation because they had chosen a name–the Baltimore CFL Colts–but the NFL and the Indianapolis Colts obtained an injunction preventing them from using it on trademark infringement grounds. "Stallions" allowed them to use the same logo they had selected for use as the CFL Colts.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: spooky on August 04, 2020, 07:53:57 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on August 04, 2020, 05:59:02 AM
Quote from: thspfc on August 03, 2020, 09:41:05 PM
Why don't they just go with Washington Washingtons temporarily?
It might offend all the people with the last name of Washington out there ;)

Washington Football Team might be offensive to actual football teams.
I'd like to report a burn

1995hoo

What I get tired of is the people who want to try to remove the name "Redskins" retroactively. It's completely correct to say, for example, that Darrell Green played his entire NFL career for the Redskins, or that the Redskins won three Super Bowls between 1982 and 1992. If you personally don't want to use the word "Redskins," that's fine, but don't go around purporting to "correct" someone else who doesn't object to it. It would, of course, technically be inaccurate to discuss who the Redskins' quarterback will be this coming season, but that's a different matter from discussing the past. (Sort of like the local NBA franchise. The Bullets won the NBA championship in 1978. They didn't change their name to "Wizards" for many years later, and the name change wasn't retroactive.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

Quote from: Alps on July 31, 2020, 05:46:10 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on July 31, 2020, 12:49:02 AM
Actually, the team name I have heard that I think works wonderfully is Washington Redtails. It was the nickname for the Tuskegee Airmen. The color scheme wouldn't need to change. Only the logo.

As for the Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves and Kansas City Chiefs...
The name Blackhawks is officially after an army division, 86th Inf. Division. Also, there was a Midwest local Native American Chief of the Sauk that it also honors. Chief Blackhawk was a significant Native American hero.

The Indians had changed the logo from Chief Wahoo. That was the most offensive thing that people wanted to change.

The Chiefs and Braves are a general honor term. What I think is offensive is people using the Tomahawk chop. That needs to go.
They're not Indians. They're not from India.

No African or descendant of is "black" either.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SectorZ on August 04, 2020, 12:54:30 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 31, 2020, 05:46:10 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on July 31, 2020, 12:49:02 AM
Actually, the team name I have heard that I think works wonderfully is Washington Redtails. It was the nickname for the Tuskegee Airmen. The color scheme wouldn't need to change. Only the logo.

As for the Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves and Kansas City Chiefs...
The name Blackhawks is officially after an army division, 86th Inf. Division. Also, there was a Midwest local Native American Chief of the Sauk that it also honors. Chief Blackhawk was a significant Native American hero.

The Indians had changed the logo from Chief Wahoo. That was the most offensive thing that people wanted to change.

The Chiefs and Braves are a general honor term. What I think is offensive is people using the Tomahawk chop. That needs to go.
They're not Indians. They're not from India.

No African or descendant of is "black" either.

I mean, whatever it takes to not give an inch right?

kphoger

As of May 1995...

Preference for racial or ethnic terminology:

Blacks
Black = 44.15%
African-American = 28.07%
all others = 27.78%

American Indians
American Indian = 49.76%
Native American = 37.35%
all others = 12.89%

I have no problem with the term "Indians" because that's how more of them refer to themselves than any other term.

Now, whether a team should be named after a particular race or ethnic group to begin with is another question entirely.  It would, after all, be strange to find a baseball team on the Navajo reservation called "The White Guys".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on August 04, 2020, 02:29:00 PM
As of May 1995...

Blacks
Black = 44.15%
all others = 27.78%

American Indians
American Indian = 49.76%
Native American = 37.35%
all others = 12.89%

I have no problem with the term "Indians" because that's how more of them refer to themselves than any other term.

Now, whether a team should be named after a particular race or ethnic group to begin with is another question entirely.  It would, after all, be strange to find a baseball team on the Navajo reservation called "The White Guys".
I can appreciate the decisions of the affected people over what well intentioned whites want to think, so I yield. But yeah, we can do better than naming teams after ethnicities.

TheHighwayMan3561

I think this season is a stealth marketing trial balloon to unofficially remain the Redskins. People who didn't care about the name will keep calling them the Redskins because "Washington Football Team"  is clunky and awkward. Those who rejected Redskins will keep calling them Washington or "DC team"  or whatever alternatives those people were already using.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SEWIGuy

As of May 1995...

Blacks
Black = 44.15%
all others = 27.78%

American Indians
American Indian = 49.76%
Native American = 37.35%
all others = 12.89%

So most Natives don't use the term Indian. And regardless this time exactly a majority rules exercise.

Sounds like a perfect reason to get rid of it.

DTComposer

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 07, 2020, 05:51:20 AM
As of May 1995...

Blacks
Black = 44.15%
all others = 27.78%

American Indians
American Indian = 49.76%
Native American = 37.35%
all others = 12.89%

So most Natives don't use the term Indian. And regardless this time exactly a majority rules exercise.

Sounds like a perfect reason to get rid of it.

Also, the term referred to in the study is "American Indian." Nowhere in the study does the term "Indian" stand by itself.

(Here's the study: https://www.census.gov/prod/2/gen/96arc/ivatuck.pdf)

Also also, that study is 25 YEARS OLD. I'd hardly consider that a current barometer.

kphoger

So most Natives don't use the term Indian.

Most Indians don't use the term Native.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jbnv

Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2020, 12:44:14 PM
So most Natives don't use the term Indian.

Most Indians don't use the term Native.

And they're all wrong because the correct term is "indigenous American."  :D
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

hotdogPi

Just an idea...

If someone tries to rename Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium (or any of the other few remaining) to a corporate name, hundreds of thousands of fans can each chip in some money to prevent it from being renamed.

Is this a possibility, and how much is needed for this to work?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

mgk920

Quote from: 1 on February 01, 2021, 04:39:56 PM
Just an idea...

If someone tries to rename Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium (or any of the other few remaining) to a corporate name, hundreds of thousands of fans can each chip in some money to prevent it from being renamed.

The Packers have never even discussed renaming Lambeau Field.  They have sold naming rights to various parts of it (ie, the gates), but not the main structure nor the playing field as the fans would not go for that.

Mike

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: mgk920 on February 04, 2021, 04:21:15 PM
Just an idea...

The Packers have never even discussed renaming Lambeau Field.  They have sold naming rights to various parts of it (ie, the gates), but not the main structure nor the playing field as the fans would not go for that.

Mike
It's not just the fans, its the community being minority owners.  The actually have a say in whether or not the stadium gets renamed. 

jp the roadgeek

Just an idea...

I think it's just a matter of getting a location designated a National Historic Landmark and/or on the National Register of Historic Places.  Wrigley Field was just designated a historic landmark, and Fenway is on the NRHP.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.