photos of old signs on the internet

Started by agentsteel53, January 28, 2009, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: aaroads on February 04, 2009, 11:18:32 AM
I've photographed some of the Interstate 95 Virginia shields hanging around the side roads of the freeway corridor between Richmond and Washington. Fortunately there are several of those around. Interstate 66 VA shields are not to hard to find, as are Interstate 81's and 64's in the mountains. There was an Interstate 64 VA shield on the westbound mainline at one point (don't know if its still there?) after the I-295 interchange.'

Hampton Roads is pretty devoid of state-named shields. I found some white-box shields and a couple for I-64, but nothing for I-464, 564, or 664. As mentioned above, I-295 is devoid of any now. Roanoke OTOH has a few I-581 VA white box shields (I found another in December).
I'd have to verify but I am sure that there are I-95 VA shields south of Petersburg.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Sykotyk

Quote from: US71 on January 28, 2009, 06:42:59 PM

When I first saw this, it looked like you took a photo through a windshield that just had a bloody encounter with a deer.

Sykotyk

agentsteel53

thanks for all the photos!  we're accumulating a really good batch of old sign photos ... we'll debut the sign gallery website in just a couple of days when we get the surrounding HTML code finalized.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Feel free to use any of these if you don't already have them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coredesatchikai/sets/72157604106475244/

If you need a watermark-free image, let me know and I'll send it your way.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

florida

I have photos that I sent to alpsroads. They're under the credited name Costa Ioannidis. If I need to send them via email, that's fine too.
So many roads...so little time.

ComputerGuy

corco, nice pics! Man, those would be great for Wikipedia. :D

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Bryant5493

^^ That's a cool looking sign. I wish Georgia still had some of those around. Well, they might have some on less traveled roads.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

BigMattFromTexas

i have an old US 277 sign now
IM SO HAPPY

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

luokou

Man, i wish i had the foresight to take pictures of US 26 eastbound a couple miles before the Vista Ridge tunnel when i was still very young. Not only were the BGSs unusual in the fact that the reassurance shields were posted above the signs, but all the route shields for I-405 and US 26 were cutouts with the state names! Well, the first gantry after the zoo exit had the classic US 26 with state name, but the next four gantries used California style US shields. Even the gantries after the tunnel before merging onto I-405 or exiting to downtown were set up in such a way. The new signs that replaced these several years ago still have the reassurance shields posted over the BGS itself, but now feature the square back US shield and non-state name Interstate shields. If there were any roadgeeks in Portland whom have snapped pictures of the gantries before they got updated (prior to the late 90's), i'd love to have copies!

florida

QuoteQuote from: aaroads on February 04, 2009, 12:27:59 AM
Are the Interstate 95 Virginia shields toward Emporia still around, or have they also succumbed?

When I was through there last month...they were still there.

As of April 19th, they still are there.

florida

74/171FAN

I posted this in another thread, but for those who don't care so much about US 33/US 250's status in Richmond, VA
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

The Florida 399 Toll shield and toll schedule sign are both gone (likely from Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis). There is no signage at all for "399" on westbound and just one jct. shield eastbound. Its pretty crummy how unsigned it is now.

florida

It gets no respect! And it was signed as state (to the Escambia County Line) when it was county? It was odd to see the Toll shield.

US71

I found this in Oklahoma back in January

"Railroad Crossing
Look Out For The Cars"

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

BigMattFromTexas

that picture almost reminds me of a Clarion, Ia RR crossing

Alex

QuoteIt gets no respect! And it was signed as state (to the Escambia County Line) when it was county? It was odd to see the Toll shield.

There were Florida 399 shields posted on the beach road from the National Seashore west to the Navarre Beach Causeway turn to the mainline. Those are all gone now. The one County 399 shield I remembered (2002) was in Pensacola Beach, but it was gone by 2006. I have not been out there since 2007, so I need to check it out at some point.

florida

QuoteThere were Florida 399 shields posted on the beach road from the National Seashore west to the Navarre Beach Causeway turn to the mainline. Those are all gone now. The one County 399 shield I remembered (2002) was in Pensacola Beach, but it was gone by 2006. I have not been out there since 2007, so I need to check it out at some point.

Do you mean east to the mainline?  :colorful: It was in Santa Rosa County, right? I was perplexed as to why it was signed as state from the Escambia County Line to US 98 at Navarre, and never was in the Fed-Aid log or anything (not even the section number to get a correct mileage).

Alex

Quote from: florida on May 13, 2009, 10:45:41 PM
QuoteThere were Florida 399 shields posted on the beach road from the National Seashore west to the Navarre Beach Causeway turn to the mainline. Those are all gone now. The one County 399 shield I remembered (2002) was in Pensacola Beach, but it was gone by 2006. I have not been out there since 2007, so I need to check it out at some point.

Do you mean east to the mainline?  :colorful: It was in Santa Rosa County, right? I was perplexed as to why it was signed as state from the Escambia County Line to US 98 at Navarre, and never was in the Fed-Aid log or anything (not even the section number to get a correct mileage).

Yes, I meant east to the causeway. I was looking through photos when I had to research Santa Rosa County for a wall map, and the SR-399 shields were still posted in February 2006.

There was also at least one SR-399 shield posted on U.S. 98 east at that time as well.

Incidentally, a kodakrome era arrow is still alive on CR 191C northbound at U.S. 98.

FLRoads

I was reading on the Fort Myers newspress tonight and came across some interesting photos from an article they had on 125 years of transportation. Some included old photos of McGregor Boulevard and some of Interstate 75 before it was opened, including this one:

A button-copy guide sign with a state named Interstate 75 shield being prepared for installation. Photo taken in 1979.

WillWeaverRVA

Froggie has a photo of this already but here is a closeup I took of the US 17 cutout in Tappahannock, VA:

Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

Quote from: AARoads on May 13, 2009, 10:33:20 PM
QuoteIt gets no respect! And it was signed as state (to the Escambia County Line) when it was county? It was odd to see the Toll shield.

No shields at all for CR 399 posted anywhere south of U.S. 98 now.

WillWeaverRVA

I know, and I really like that gallery. :P
Will Weaver

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.