News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Redesigned State Highway Signs for New Jersey

Started by papaT10932, January 18, 2010, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papaT10932

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 21, 2010, 09:00:20 AM
the other day I went and took photos of the last two known white overhead gantries with colored US shields in Florida: a 41 pair and a 231/98 set, and what a difference they make compared to standard black and white - easily identifiable from a distance, and provide a definite visual contrast against the white background, and they're aesthetically pleasing.  What objection did the feds have to that??

The Feds or the Borg?  With respect to signage, somedays they seem to be one and the same.

Resistance is futile, your US shields will be assimilated.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

treichard

You probably want the smallest bounding box that fits around the numerals to take up >50% of the whole sign for easier legibility. The NJ design has the numerals a little on the small side. The numerals are the important part.

Could the shape of Delaware be mistaken for a "1" in poor seeing conditions in the Delaware shield design?

Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

papaT10932

My favorite design for a "Garden State" route sign is the tomato. This design counters the stereotype of "toxic, polluted NJ". Also, it promotes local produce and agriculture by making the Jersey Tomato a statewide symbol. It is easy to read and shouldn't be too hard to manufacture. What do you all think?

Stojko

hbelkins

Nice designs, all, except for the wider signs that would translate to 24 x 30 in the field.

Can't we just stay with square signs?

If I had the Photoshop know-how, I'd love to design a new Kentucky shield that still uses the circle, but turns it into an outline background of a basketball. ;-)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

florida

Quote from: shoptb1 on January 18, 2010, 03:46:12 PM
Perhaps the route number in front of the outline of a can of AquaNet?   :spin: 

Don't forget the bronzer!

The tomato types are priceless ;)
So many roads...so little time.

papaT10932

The problem with switching to new shields in NJ is that NJ has so many pesky overhead BGS's that require a huge effort and inconvenience to change. BUT, what if the circles on BGS's stay the same, and only the stand-alone signs change??

This is my idea. Redesign stand-alones to SEMI-CIRCLES, so that way they do not differ too much from the full circle shields on BGS's. Think of it as being "circle inspired." This would be the finished product:

(BGS shield)                 (stand-alone shield)

To those who have been following this thread, I'm really interested to know your thoughts. I think this is a lot more reasonable a proposal for NJ to consider. I may pitch the idea to the DOT. New governer.... new hope?

Scott5114

Most people wouldn't associate the Statue of Liberty with New Jersey.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mightyace

Not bad, but the Statue of Liberty is on New York soil and generally associated with New York City.  However, it is not without precedent.  Witness the logo of the Central Railroad of New Jersey:

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

papaT10932

Yes, and keep in mind, New Jersey's national park quarter (coin), which is scheduled to release in a few years, will depict Gateway National Park- which includes the Statue of Liberty. (Although NY's state quarter also featured the SOL in 2001). New Jersey also offers a vanity plate with the statue of liberty on it.

But anyway, as far as the sign goes... the Statue of Liberty does not necessarily have to be used. Perhaps a Thomas Edison lightbulb... or Barnegat Lighthouse. The point I was trying to make was not having to replace BGSs. Is that a possibility or would that go against federal standards?

papaT10932

OK... I actually like this design better than the Statue of Liberty anyway. How about a sign that represents the "Garden State" by displaying the state flower (the common violet)?

Scott5114

I'd much rather it use the FHWA fonts at the top than Times New Roman (which is horribly overused).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

PAHighways

Quote from: AARoads on January 21, 2010, 12:37:42 PMOff topic for this thread, but seeing that Delaware design I did in 1999 inspired me to update it in AI. I originally crafted that graphic in Paint!

If there was any state that should use a diamond for their shield, it should be Delaware.

shoptb1

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 21, 2010, 07:27:16 AM
How's this FL/OK-inspired design?

These are still my favorite.  I really don't like the designs with the circles.  Just sayin'.

PAHighways

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 21, 2010, 07:27:16 AM
How's this FL/OK-inspired design?

According to an old map I have from the 1920s, New Jersey used the state outline on their original markers.  It had "NEW JERSEY" in the northern half and "STATE HIGHWAY" in the southern half, with the route number in black on a colored band according to the compass direction in the I-195 corridor.

papaT10932

NJ will not make a drastic switch (or any switch at all). IF they do switch to newer signs, I'm sure it would just be a small tweak from the default circle. I can live with that. Anything is better than the circle.

Plus, I think state outlines are overdone anyway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.