News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on April 19, 2023, 01:08:39 AM
Wisconsin has begun issuing special 'fleet' plates for cars, I saw two different ones while driving around Appleton today.  Interesting design element, in the smallest text that I have yet seen as a design element on a plate, they have "AMERICA'S DAIRYLAND" right below the normally sized state name at the top in an otherwise unadorned design (all black text and letters/numbers) and the word "FLEET" at the bottom.  I don't know if I would reject a car rental if the car did not have normal issue/design plates for the state that I am in.

FYI...  https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2021/related/acts/178.pdf
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tman

Wisconsin has begun issuing special 'fleet' plates for cars, I saw two different ones while driving around Appleton today.  Interesting design element, in the smallest text that I have yet seen as a design element on a plate, they have "AMERICA'S DAIRYLAND" right below the normally sized state name at the top in an otherwise unadorned design (all black text and letters/numbers) and the word "FLEET" at the bottom.  I don't know if I would reject a car rental if the car did not have normal issue/design plates for the state that I am in.

Mike

I've seen a few around in the past few weeks.

The "America's Dairyland" is quite small on this new fleet design. I hope that this isn't a sign that the standard-issue plates are about to change, as I do like the farm scene and the decent-sized "America's Dairyland" at the bottom. While the current plate may be a bit dated (the font and graphics are certainly not fresh), I really do like it and wouldn't be happy to see it go.

Here's a picture of the new fleet plate I saw on Reddit:

mgk920

Quote from: tman on April 19, 2023, 08:48:11 PM

Mike

The "America's Dairyland" is quite small on this new fleet design. I hope that this isn't a sign that the standard-issue plates are about to change, as I do like the farm scene and the decent-sized "America's Dairyland" at the bottom. While the current plate may be a bit dated (the font and graphics are certainly not fresh), I really do like it and wouldn't be happy to see it go.

It might have been the cloudy, dreary and gray weather conditions, but the text on the ones that I saw yesterday looked black and not dark blue.  :-P  My current worry regarding any potential changes in the deign of Wisconsin's regular design license plates relates to the latest design of the state's driving license card that has been in circulation for a couple of years now, the prior ones looked like miniature versions of the license plate.

Mike

JoePCool14

Mike

This is the definition of over-simplified in my opinion. I think it could be worked into something decent. But this here is very generic right now.

Absolutely would take the current plates over this.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SEWIGuy

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 20, 2023, 10:08:12 AM

Mike

This is the definition of over-simplified in my opinion. I think it could be worked into something decent. But this here is very generic right now.

There is no indication that Wisconsin is changing its plate design as part of the new plate replacement program.

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 20, 2023, 10:42:51 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 20, 2023, 10:08:12 AM

Mike

There is no indication that Wisconsin is changing its plate design as part of the new plate replacement program.

I am not expecting any changes in the regular issue design in the foreseeable future, either.

Mike

Ted$8roadFan

Flint1979

At a traffic light in Saginaw there were 6 cars stopped me being one of them and we all had Water Winter Wonderland plates and had the tabs in the correct corner of the plate (lower right).

ski-man

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 29, 2023, 07:26:31 AM
Rhode Island has a new license plate:

https://www.atlanticsharkinstitute.org/licenseplate
I would love a sample plate of this one. Need sample as I would never take one off of someones vehicle. :bigass:

Ted$8roadFan

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: ski-man on May 02, 2023, 02:17:34 PM

I would love a sample plate of this one. Need sample as I would never take one off of someones vehicle. :bigass:

Not sure if it's possible; to my knowledge, Rhode Island traditionally isn't good at giving out or selling samples. Perhaps the Atlantic Shark Conservancy might. 

formulanone

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 02, 2023, 05:19:03 PM
Quote from: ski-man on May 02, 2023, 02:17:34 PM

Not sure if it's possible; to my knowledge, Rhode Island traditionally isn't good at giving out or selling samples. Perhaps the Atlantic Shark Conservancy might. 

Can't wait to see the first one with BRUCE on it.

Flint1979

At last count on May 24th there were about 659, 000 winter water wonderland plates on the road and about 4.1 million pure Michigan plates on the road.

Flint1979

Here's one for the bad and ugly. Your tab is supposed to go in the lower right corner not in the center of the plate.

hotdogPi

I know of a taxi that has four visible stickers: 20/21/22/23. For those not familiar, registration is only every two years in Massachusetts. They can't continue it past four in a row, though; renewing it now would give them a 25 sticker, not a 24 sticker.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Flint1979

I don't know what's worse in the picture I posted. The tab being in the center of the plate or the ugly plate frame they have around it covering up the words Michigan and Wonderland. I'm going to go with the tab being in the center of the plate because you can remove the plate frame but now you just ruined a perfectly nice license plate there.

Scott5114

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 28, 2023, 12:08:02 PM
I don't know what's worse in the picture I posted. The tab being in the center of the plate or the ugly plate frame they have around it covering up the words Michigan and Wonderland. I'm going to go with the tab being in the center of the plate because you can remove the plate frame but now you just ruined a perfectly nice license plate there.

The Texas God does whatever They want, apparently.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 28, 2023, 02:37:28 PM

I guess so. I took the picture when I was stopped behind the car at a stop sign but as I was coming up the street behind the car I thought what in the hell is that orange thing in the middle of the plate? As I got closer I saw that it was the tab and thought that belongs in the lower right corner you idiot. I have seen people put them in the upper left corner on that plate a lot, this plate you are supposed to put it in the lower right corner.

Scott5114

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 28, 2023, 02:55:14 PM

I guess so. I took the picture when I was stopped behind the car at a stop sign but as I was coming up the street behind the car I thought what in the hell is that orange thing in the middle of the plate? As I got closer I saw that it was the tab and thought that belongs in the lower right corner you idiot. I have seen people put them in the upper left corner on that plate a lot, this plate you are supposed to put it in the lower right corner.

In Oklahoma the moron thing to do is to alternate between the upper right corner, where it's supposed to go, and the upper left, which obscures the month/county sticker.

chrisdiaz

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 28, 2023, 08:32:09 PM

In Oklahoma the moron thing to do is to alternate between the upper right corner, where it's supposed to go, and the upper left, which obscures the month/county sticker.

Same for South Carolina, except on the bottom. Plates prior to 2017 had a month sticker in the bottom left and the year sticker in the bottom right. Since then, we have only been receiving a single month and date combined sticker, which is supposed to go in the bottom right. People still manage to put on the bottom left despite the explicit instructions.

kalvado

Quote from: chrisdiaz on May 29, 2023, 03:25:17 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 28, 2023, 08:32:09 PM

Same for South Carolina, except on the bottom. Plates prior to 2017 had a month sticker in the bottom left and the year sticker in the bottom right. Since then, we have only been receiving a single month and date combined sticker, which is supposed to go in the bottom right. People still manage to put on the bottom left despite the explicit instructions.
aaaand... why should anyone care? Fees are paid, and proof is displayed....

Scott5114

Having two stickers displayed at once can make it hard to determine whether a registration is expired or not when a car goes whizzing past at 70 mph. To be sure, it's still less of a problem than when it happens in Oklahoma, where doing such a thing obscures actual information needed to determine whether the registration is valid or not (since the year stickers contain no month information).

doglover44

How many states are getting new plates this year ?

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 29, 2023, 03:44:21 PM
Having two stickers displayed at once can make it hard to determine whether a registration is expired or not when a car goes whizzing past at 70 mph. To be sure, it's still less of a problem than when it happens in Oklahoma, where doing such a thing obscures actual information needed to determine whether the registration is valid or not (since the year stickers contain no month information).
Checking stickers in the 70 mph traffic must require vision much better than 20\20....

Scott5114

Quote from: kalvado on May 29, 2023, 10:15:57 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 29, 2023, 03:44:21 PM
Checking stickers in the 70 mph traffic must require vision much better than 20\20....

The years are all color coded. If you know this year's sticker is blue, red stickers are potentially expired (obviously, this means you have to check the month sticker to see whether it is or not, and it's basically illegible from any real distance because Oklahoma is not well known for being run by people of great intellect). Of course, if you see a red sticker in the upper right because the idiot put the blue one on the upper left, that causes a problem.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.