News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wooden Bridges (Except covered ones)

Started by index, September 07, 2018, 02:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Here's one local to me.  Old Stage Rd. over the Illinois and Michigan Canal, just west of Morris, IL

Can't seem to get the tags working.

https://imgur.com/a/89i5x
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on September 28, 2018, 04:32:05 PM
Here's one local to me.  Old Stage Rd. over the Illinois and Michigan Canal, just west of Morris, IL

Can't seem to get the tags working.

https://imgur.com/a/89i5x

More info at bridgehunter.com.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

The 1857 Wawona Covered Bridge in Yosemite National Park.  The reason I'm showing this bridge is that it originally wasn't covered which was later added for the Stage Route to Yosemite:

IMG_0718 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_0725 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

MikieTimT

Quote from: kphoger on September 26, 2018, 09:40:53 AM
Cross-posting from another thread...

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2017, 12:11:30 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 06, 2017, 12:57:21 PM
On Saturday, my wife and I took a short trip to Arkansas for our 11th anniversary.  On the way there, we took a scenic route, and that included AR-187 across the Little Golden Gate Bridge in the town of Beaver.  My wife has a fear of bridges over water, so I made sure not to tell her about this bridge until we were almost upon it.  She was brave:  even though the sound of the boards clunking underneath our car unnerved her, she was the one who took the pictures.  The bridge is one lane with wooden decking.  And yes, it's part of a state highway.

With the recent flooding in the area, Beaver Bridge looks a little different now...

We don't live too far from here, and have that same picture, so I guess we were there the same day you were.  Went into the store at the corner which was just barely above the water level and talked to the lady running the register.  Apparently, someone there had just drowned a couple hours before our visit, so it was rather somber in there.  We take that way every time we go to Branson as we just love this bridge.

There's another wooden bridge in Benton County, AR not 25 miles from there next to War Eagle Mill.  In fact, it's about to get really busy at the end of this month with the arts and crafts festival they have there.  Lots of others in the surrounding counties as well.  Below is the location of said bridge and mill.

https://goo.gl/maps/DTKgKizED222

kphoger

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 02, 2018, 06:06:42 PM
We don't live too far from here, and have that same picture, so I guess we were there the same day you were. 

The Facebook pictures were not my own.  That was a month after our trip there; if I remember right, it's a screenshot of my wife's phone as she was looking through people's posts in our living room.

The YouTube link visible in the screenshot is of drone footage: 
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

12th Street over BNSF Railroad near Francis, Oklahoma. Bridge was demolished in 2016, 2 days after I took these photos.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

allniter89

IIRC I crossed a wooden bridge to get to Bluefield Beverage in Bluefield VA/WV. We loaded soft drinks for Kroger in Atlanta. The bridge must have been reinforced b/c we came out of there with gross wts 78k+.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

MCRoads

There I s a wooden bridge over the Bricktown Canal just north of OKC boulevard near Bass Pro Shop.

Link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/35.462701,+-97.505231/@35.4626164,-97.5050668,19z/data=!3m1!1e3
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

crt08

There used to be quite a few small one lane wooden ones in the back roads of Central Florida and in some state parks. Many have been replaced with concrete in the last 10 years but there are a few remaining here and there. Probably dating back to the 1920s-30s.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: crt08 on December 31, 2019, 06:44:47 PM
There used to be quite a few small one lane wooden ones in the back roads of Central Florida and in some state parks. Many have been replaced with concrete in the last 10 years but there are a few remaining here and there. Probably dating back to the 1920s-30s.

The newer Lainer Bridge near Dade City is still wooden if I remember right?

cl94

Since this thread was revived, it doesn't look like anyone mentioned the Albion River Bridge in California, carrying SR 1. I don't have a good picture of my own, but the current bridge dates from 1944. Wartime concrete and steel shortages lead to wood being used.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

A couple months back I sought out the 1938 Dinkey Creek Bridge which is the only only wooden bowstring arch structure in California:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/11/1938-dinkey-creek-bridge.html?m=1

crt08

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 31, 2019, 08:37:29 PM

Not familiar with that area but that does seem to be the case from the most recent Streetview.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: crt08 on January 01, 2020, 09:22:50 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 31, 2019, 08:37:29 PM

Not familiar with that area but that does seem to be the case from the most recent Streetview.

Found it in my photo stock, steel frame with a wooden road deck:

https://flic.kr/p/RZZkWf

https://flic.kr/p/Ria6bd

texaskdog

Quote from: Rothman on September 09, 2018, 09:57:18 AM
Quote from: froggie on September 09, 2018, 07:02:13 AM
Quote from: Rothman on September 07, 2018, 11:53:24 PM
What about the Oliver Bridge in WI/MN?

Very much not a wooden bridge.
Could have sworn the bottom deck was wooden at some point.

We drove over it in the 90s and it was definitely wood.  the next time in the early 00s it had been paved.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.