News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

What's the deal with people who flush the urinal over and over again while they pee?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2022, 12:28:04 PM
What's the deal with people who flush the urinal over and over again while they pee?

It might be shy bladder (paruresis). For some people (such as me), the issue is fear of judgment from others that they can hear that you're not peeing when you're standing at the urinal. Flushing the urinal would mask that lack of sound, ironically making it easier to pee. Personally I'll just go for the stall if it's open. :colorful:

On that note, I hate when urinals don't have the barriers between them (I find it helps a bit with that).

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on May 25, 2022, 12:43:25 PM

It might be shy bladder (paruresis). For some people (such as me), the issue is fear of judgment from others that they can hear that you're not peeing when you're standing at the urinal. Flushing the urinal would mask that lack of sound, ironically making it easier to pee. Personally I'll just go for the stall if it's open. :colorful:

On that note, I hate when urinals don't have the barriers between them (I find it helps a bit with that).

That only makes sense until you start to pee, though.  Some people keep flushing the whole time.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2022, 01:00:10 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on May 25, 2022, 12:43:25 PM

That only makes sense until you start to pee, though.  Some people keep flushing the whole time.

I'm usually fine once I start, but maybe some people have issues keeping it going. I can't think of any other reason unless they just like the sound lol.

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on May 25, 2022, 01:14:15 PM
I'm usually fine once I start, but maybe some people have issues keeping it going. I can't think of any other reason unless they just like the sound lol.

At any rate, there is a guy at my office who flushes while he's peeing while he's talking on the phone.  Considering that, I doubt it's a shy bladder thing.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 7/8 on May 25, 2022, 12:43:25 PMPersonally I'll just go for the stall if it's open. :colorful:

I hate urinals, full stop, with the heat of a thousand suns.

In terms of stalls, I dislike coming into one that has toilet paper on the floor (perfect for sticking to your shoe unless you're careful) or unflushed matter in the bowl.  When I encounter either, I flush pre-emptively first thing so I can time the plume for when I'm breathing out, and then don't do my business until I have cleaned up whatever mess there is on the floor and flushed again.  I don't bother with water conservation because the cost of remedying clogs is always greater than that of the excess water used.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 25, 2022, 02:32:47 PM

Urinals are great.  I wish I had one in my house.  It's awesome to be able to walk out of the bathroom literally 60 seconds after walking in.
Male pronouns, please.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on May 25, 2022, 06:34:24 PM
Quote from: Big John on May 24, 2022, 05:40:56 PM
Quote from: frankenroad on May 24, 2022, 05:09:04 PM
And don't get me started on sports players who put the JR or III on their uniforms - unless your dad is still playing in the same league, (e.g., Ken Griffey at one time), it's not necessary.  When I played soccer, my shirt just said SMITH on the back.

Started with Robert Griffin III.  The NFL changed the rule allowing such suffixes with him as a rookie.  Not all teams do that though.

NASCAR's done that for years. One of the earliest ones I remember was Bobby Hillin Jr. I never heard of Bobby Hillin Sr., so I don't know why he always needed to be referred to as Bobby Hillin Jr.

Today, there's Martin Truex Jr. Not sure why the suffix is needed.

UK athletes have started doing that. Last year's basketball team had a player named Keion Brooks Jr., and the back of his jersey read BROOKS JR. Never mind that his dad had never played for UK.
Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2022, 06:59:59 PM

Urinals are great.  I wish I had one in my house.  It's awesome to be able to walk out of the bathroom literally 60 seconds after walking in.
and they stink up to high heaven.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

I'd rather have a bidet than a urinal in my house.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 25, 2022, 11:45:54 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2022, 11:01:03 AMWhen a company requires you to pay by credit card and then charges a fee to do so.
And it got much worse during the pandemic, too.  "The only way you can buy this is online, and we're going to charge you a convenience fee to do it."
"Convnience fee" is a contradictory statement.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2022, 07:57:29 PM

We got a GenieBidet several years ago and it's life-changing.  A bit bracing in the winter, though, since the water isn't heated.

thenetwork

Quote from: 7/8 on May 25, 2022, 12:43:25 PMPersonally I'll just go for the stall if it's open. :colorful:

In terms of stalls, I dislike coming into one that has toilet paper on the floor (perfect for sticking to your shoe unless you're careful) or unflushed matter in the bowl.  When I encounter either, I flush pre-emptively first thing so I can time the plume for when I'm breathing out, and then don't do my business until I have cleaned up whatever mess there is on the floor and flushed again.  I don't bother with water conservation because the cost of remedying clogs is always greater than that of the excess water used.

I cannot stand automated toilets in rest room stalls!!

When I am done sitting and am just "finishing the paperwork", I have had toilets flush up to 4 TIMES before I can leave the stall, and I have had toilets that DONT flush once the TP is dropped in!

And also rest rooms -- especially Walmarts ‐‐ that have tose cylindrical paper towel dispensers where it pulls out from the center as a thin, snakey paper thing.  Either you'll spend the extra time to unfold it, or you just pull 5 or 6 snakes and hope you can dry your hands quickly enough without unfolding.

I also have those add-on bidet sprays on my thrones at home.  Definitely a godsend!!!

roadman65

I hate when someone pees on the toilet seat cause they're too lazy to lift the seat.

Then I very well dislike when the guy walks in front of you to the restroom while you have a strong urge to do number two, then goes for the only stall over the open urinal to take a piss. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

skluth

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 25, 2022, 08:17:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2022, 07:57:29 PM

We got a GenieBidet several years ago and it's life-changing.  A bit bracing in the winter, though, since the water isn't heated.

My dad ran a hot water line to the toilet that he'd switch on during the winter. (I grew up in Green Bay.) It was popular not only with my mother but several female cousins still remember it fondly from their visits.

skluth

All the insurance and other junk mail I get from Costco, AARP, and those who want me to change my Medicare coverage (which I was getting for a couple years before I was even eligible). I don't mind the emails as my spam filters take care of most of it. But I have to check the junk mail before I throw it out because if they include any PII (as they do all too often) I'll shred it instead. It's not bad when it's only one or two. But if it accumulates for a week or so when I'm out of town, it may take several minutes to shred it all.

Scott5114

Quote from: skluth on May 26, 2022, 07:26:37 PM
All the insurance and other junk mail I get from Costco, AARP, and those who want me to change my Medicare coverage (which I was getting for a couple years before I was even eligible). I don't mind the emails as my spam filters take care of most of it. But I have to check the junk mail before I throw it out because if they include any PII (as they do all too often) I'll shred it instead. It's not bad when it's only one or two. But if it accumulates for a week or so when I'm out of town, it may take several minutes to shred it all.

I hate how some junk-mail creators seem to try to include PII in as many places they physically can. For example, I remember getting Cox cable advertisements where my information was on the cover letter, the form that I would have to mail in to claim the offer, and then on an entirely unnecessary wallet-size card restating the terms of the offer, as if it were a coupon I needed to take somewhere to redeem.

J N Winkler

I just collect junk mail that may or may not have PII and shred it unopened once or twice a year.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

kurumi

Suppose an unknown number calls you, and doesn't leave voicemail. Curious, you plug the number into Google to see if there's any information.

Dozens of scammy-looking sites in results, each one promising to have information on that number (or something close to it). It might be a clever ruse by telemarketers to flood the domain with nonsense so you can't determine anything.

A little more annoying: how easy it is to spoof caller ID in America. It'll never change because powerful people like it the way it is.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kkt

Quote from: kurumi on May 27, 2022, 10:49:37 PM
Suppose an unknown number calls you, and doesn't leave voicemail. Curious, you plug the number into Google to see if there's any information.

Dozens of scammy-looking sites in results, each one promising to have information on that number (or something close to it). It might be a clever ruse by telemarketers to flood the domain with nonsense so you can't determine anything.

A little more annoying: how easy it is to spoof caller ID in America. It'll never change because powerful people like it the way it is.

Yes.

Sometimes it's my dentist's office, who uses an autocall system for appointment reminders that does not get along with my answering machine.

US 89

Quote from: formulanone on May 24, 2022, 06:51:56 PM
Quote from: frankenroad on May 24, 2022, 05:09:04 PM
The other situation where this can be a problem, is if you have a suffix in your name.   I recently tried to book tickets on Delta.com but I couldn't because the last name on my Delta Frequent Flyer account is, for example, "SMITH".  But somewhere in some ID system (including on my passport), my last name is "SMITHJR".  I had to book the Delta flight on Travelocity.

My middle name is sometimes crammed into my first name (no space) with one airline, set apart as a "second first name" with another, displays as a true middle name with another...so there's no consistency. It gets even more weird with the spellings for the hotel brands, but they're a lot more lenient about exact spelling than the TSA and airlines' loyalty programs. My understanding is that many airlines are using a lot of legacy superstructures that date back to the 1970s-1980s so there's inconsistencies with modern web platforms. From my vague understanding of coding, it seems to check out.

This varies even within the same airline for me. On Delta, I have been all of "First Last" , "First Middle Last" , "First M Last" , or "Firstmiddle Last"  at some point in the last couple years. As long as it's enough to get me through TSA, it doesn't really matter, but I really don't like the Firstmiddle squish.

Scott5114

Sports go in the sports thread created for sports discussion and not in the not-sports thread intended for not-sports discussion.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 28, 2022, 08:29:38 PM
Sports go in the sports thread created for sports discussion and not in the not-sports thread intended for not-sports discussion.

I suspect some people may do the same thing I did–hit the "New" icon to see the new posts in the thread, see a response to one's own post, and then respond to it without seeing the further post later on about splitting the thread. Of course it's the better practice to read the whole thread before responding (also avoids possible repetition of what someone else said), but it's hardly surprising if someone doesn't.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 29, 2022, 08:11:42 AM
Of course it's the better practice to read the whole thread before responding

This thread is 170 pages long.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on May 29, 2022, 09:03:26 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 29, 2022, 08:11:42 AM
Of course it's the better practice to read the whole thread before responding

This thread is 170 pages long.

85 pages.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.