News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Will the remaning Kentucky Parkways become interstates?

Started by dvferyance, January 09, 2020, 01:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Now that the Western Kentucky Parkway is slated to become I-569 what happens to the remaining ones? You still got the Bluegrass, Cumberland and Mountain Parkways what could they become? The Bluegrass could become I-365 not sure about the others they don't serve any sizable cities.

kphoger

I saw this thread title, and I thought it would be perfect entry for the "Arguments our grandchildren will be having on here" thread.   :-|
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: dvferyance on January 09, 2020, 01:03:07 PM
Now that the Western Kentucky Parkway is slated to become I-569 what happens to the remaining ones? You still got the Bluegrass, Cumberland and Mountain Parkways what could they become? The Bluegrass could become I-365 not sure about the others they don't serve any sizable cities.

Much depends on how hard Kentucky's congressional delegation pushes for interstate designations. It wouldn't be surprising for Hal Rogers to try to seek an I number for the Cumberland Parkway before he decides to retire from Congress. He's from Somerset and most of the counties that route serves are in the "Old 5th" district that he used to represent back when Kentucky had seven districts. After all, Rogers is the one who got the feds to pay off the toll bonds for the Cumberland and Daniel Boone parkways.

I think the Audubon will get a auxiliary I-69 number after the Ohio River bridges are completed and I-69 becomes a through route across the river.

I don't think there will be a push to ever get the Mountain Parkway an I-164 number. The area doesn't have enough political clout.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Ghostbuster

There's no way the Hal Rogers Parkway (or Daniel Boone Parkway) will become an Interstate for obvious reasons. The Bluegrass Parkway and the Cumberland Parkways could become 365 or 565, but it doesn't seem likely to me they will become Interstates at all. The Mountain Parkway will definitely not become an Interstate, especially if the proposal for re-tolling the road goes through. Of course, for any of those parkways to become Interstates, they would have to be upgraded to Interstate Standards, or be approved for an upgrade to Interstate Standards.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 09, 2020, 06:06:28 PM
Of course, for any of those parkways to become Interstates, they would have to be upgraded to Interstate Standards, or be approved for an upgrade to Interstate Standards.
With the exceptions of a few outdated interchanges from when toll plazas existed that need to go regardless of interstate or not, the parkways meet interstate standards.

mgk920

A way would have to be found to extend the Bluegrass to I-64....

:-o

OTOH, I can see the Pennyrile south of I-69 becoming 'I-41'.

<DUCKS and RUNS!!!!>

:rolleyes:

Mike

amroad17

So, there is going to be an interchange with I-69, I-169, and I-569 converging?  Sounds like overkill to me.

I do agree with some of our members posting that I-71 would be a good extension over the WK and Pennyrile Parkways, as long as a possible Interstate designation is one number.  Plus, there would be an I-69/I-71 "bump"!  Or, for those who feel that this is a more east-west routing, I-52, I-54, I-56, or I-58.

As far as making "every" divided Kentucky Parkway an Interstate highway--no.  I do agree with I-165 applied to the Green River, sorry, Natcher Parkway.  The Cumberland Parkway would be a good candidate for an I-365 or I-765 number (I know, I-565 could be used instead of I-765, however, I like the descending numbers in this case).  The others do not, in reality, need an Interstate designation (unless, as I mentioned above, one number could be used for the WK and Pennyrile).  Some improvements with the "old" toll interchanges would have to be done before these Parkways could even be considered to have an Interstate number applied. 

Most drivers know them by their Parkway names--or used to, before many of them have had Commonwealth political leaders' names attached to them.  It basically is just a push to have the advertising of an Interstate logo on a highway near these towns along the Parkways.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

texaskdog

I thought it was funny that when I-69 came in they had to build a new ramp for SW/NE traffic.

Roadsguy

I could understand wanting to give the Mountain Parkway a 3di designation if it were extended to where I-73 and 74 are supposed to go, but the likelihood of that is even less than the zero likelihood of I-73/74 ever making it past there.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 09, 2020, 06:06:28 PM
There's no way the Hal Rogers Parkway (or Daniel Boone Parkway) will become an Interstate for obvious reasons. The Bluegrass Parkway and the Cumberland Parkways could become 365 or 565, but it doesn't seem likely to me they will become Interstates at all. The Mountain Parkway will definitely not become an Interstate, especially if the proposal for re-tolling the road goes through. Of course, for any of those parkways to become Interstates, they would have to be upgraded to Interstate Standards, or be approved for an upgrade to Interstate Standards.
Well, they were going to upgrade the Hal Rogers and Cumberland Parkways into I-66, but now those plans are as good as dead.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 09, 2020, 06:06:28 PMThe Mountain Parkway will definitely not become an Interstate, especially if the proposal for re-tolling the road goes through.

That idea was a non-starter. It was floated when the widening and expansion was first proposed, and quickly shot down by public opinion. That proposal is as dead as Quassem Soleimani.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: hbelkins on January 10, 2020, 05:47:55 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 09, 2020, 06:06:28 PMThe Mountain Parkway will definitely not become an Interstate, especially if the proposal for re-tolling the road goes through.

That idea was a non-starter. It was floated when the widening and expansion was first proposed, and quickly shot down by public opinion. That proposal is as dead as Quassem Soleimani.

How about a "3di who isn't" like for example, VT-191 and CO-470? We could imagine a KY-164/KY-364/KY-564/KY-764 being used.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 11, 2020, 02:08:35 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 10, 2020, 05:47:55 PM

How about a "3di who isn't" like for example, VT-191 and CO-470? We could imagine a KY-164/KY-364/KY-564/KY-764 being used.
There are like tons of those everywhere.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

dvferyance

Quote from: mgk920 on January 09, 2020, 10:52:20 PM
A way would have to be found to extend the Bluegrass to I-64....

:-o

OTOH, I can see the Pennyrile south of I-69 becoming 'I-41'.

<DUCKS and RUNS!!!!>

:rolleyes:

Mike
Uh that is already I-169 keep dreaming that I-41 will ever go south of those 5 feet into Illinois.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.