News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SkyPesos

Someone created 29 new threads this month (as of now) on this forum, and the month isn't even over yet. Probably a new record (and not a good one imo).

hotdogPi

Because there is no administrator's noticeboard thread on this forum, this thread is de facto the place to put things that would go there.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

jmacswimmer

Quote from: SkyPesos on February 25, 2022, 07:39:46 PM
Someone created 29 new threads this month (as of now) on this forum, and the month isn't even over yet. Probably a new record (and not a good one imo).

It's been asked before, I'll ask again...compilation thread for said user?
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Max Rockatansky

It probably isn't the record.  It seems like someone comes along every year or so and does the same thing. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: jmacswimmer on February 25, 2022, 07:57:34 PM

It's been asked before, I'll ask again...compilation thread for said user?
There technically is one, except it's not use that often, and he much prefers creating new threads.

tolbs17

In my thoughts I feel like when I come on aaroads, when I make a thread, (especially ones with little to no value) It's almost like a Tolbs vs Max contest.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 26, 2022, 04:25:08 PM
In my thoughts I feel like when I come on aaroads, when I make a thread, (especially ones with little to no value) It's almost like a Tolbs vs Max contest.

What contest?  A lot of your threads require expounding upon to even get a baseline understanding of what you are trying to convey. 

Also, maybe instead of complaining about me perhaps you might actually want to put some effort into your postings?  It probably would serve you better than posting constant Google links with little to no expiation.

Scott5114

When you post a thread with little value, it's not a contest, it's you wasting everyone else's time. Max is simply the one who speaks up.

If you recognize that a thread has no value, why are you posting it? You do realize by admitting you know your threads are valueless you're kind of making the case for why you shouldn't be allowed to make them, correct?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kenarmy

well. i guess this is my trademark thread  :popcorn:.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

formulanone

I didn't feel like starting a "funny geographic place name" thread, so here's Tippy Ditch on I-69 near Marion, Indiana:

I didn't think it was possible to misread a sign at least two times.

Max Rockatansky

SkyPesos

Now that it's the end of the month, final total is 31 threads. I wonder how many of those 31 are considered "spam"...

CoreySamson

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 01, 2022, 01:11:05 PM
Quote from: kenarmy on February 27, 2022, 09:43:00 PM

Mine probably is still this:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17891.msg2141833#msg2141833

That's kind of an interesting thread topic: what's your trademark thread? Mine might be my fictional interstates thread.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

hotdogPi

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 03, 2022, 03:37:18 PM

That's kind of an interesting thread topic: what's your trademark thread? Mine might be my fictional interstates thread.

Mine is probably either Road Sign UNO, single ideas that aren't enough for their own thread, or the FritzOwl compilation thread.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 03, 2022, 03:37:18 PM

Go ahead and open one up.  Way more interesting than all that post count shenanigans from years past.

Scott5114

Someone needs to create a North Carolina version of the famous View of the World from 9th Avenue magazine cover.

1995hoo

^^^^

My parents (both of whom grew up in Brooklyn) had a framed poster of that cover hanging in our house for many years (I don't know whether my mom still has it). As a kid, I always thought it made Jersey look like a dirt road. As an adult, I like that characterization of Jersey that much more (recognizing there are plenty of nice parts of Jersey, it still fits with the stereotype that the Turnpike is the only part of the state anyone from out-of-state knows anything about).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2022, 05:30:11 AM
Someone needs to create a North Carolina version of the famous View of the World from 9th Avenue magazine cover.

Not quite as dramatic, but I made this sketch in a notebook: https://imgur.com/a/tzadWms

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 26, 2022, 04:58:59 PM

When you post a thread with little value, it's not a contest, it's you wasting everyone else's time. Max is simply the one who speaks up.

If you recognize that a thread has no value, why are you posting it? You do realize by admitting you know your threads are valueless you're kind of making the case for why you shouldn't be allowed to make them, correct?
Because, it makes it interesting that states do something different (especially with the ones that might or might not follow the MUTCD guidelines) and some don't and it looks silly.... And yes

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 26, 2022, 04:37:41 PM

What contest?  A lot of your threads require expounding upon to even get a baseline understanding of what you are trying to convey. 

Also, maybe instead of complaining about me perhaps you might actually want to put some effort into your postings?  It probably would serve you better than posting constant Google links with little to no expiation.
Just with you replying to my posts frequently!

And I will put some effort into my postings.. I try my best to do so.

Scott5114

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 04, 2022, 10:31:23 PM

Because, it makes it interesting that states do something different (especially with the ones that might or might not follow the MUTCD guidelines) and some don't and it looks silly.... And yes

You can't make something interesting by posting about it. If it's uninteresting and you make a post about it, then both the thing itself and your post about it will be uninteresting.

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 04, 2022, 10:41:57 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 04, 2022, 10:31:23 PM

You can't make something interesting by posting about it. If it's uninteresting and you make a post about it, then both the thing itself and your post about it will be uninteresting.
Like this thread for example. No replies, and I'm sure nobody cares about having airport, hospital, camp signs attached to the main exit sign huh?

formulanone

I dunno, wait a little until one thread has concluded and then start another?

If you bombard the forum with 2-3 threads a day, it shows you just want to vent. We're not here to unilaterally care about the same things you do. And we're not here to put out all your little fires, so to speak. Most of us want to share knowledge and learn something, not just post about minor differences in signage.

SkyPesos

I don't like the spam either. Here's the front page of the General board. Of the 14 most recent threads here, 8 of them are tolbs threads (one of those 8 got moved to fictional). So pretty much more than half of the most recently replied to 14 threads are from one user, and I (and probably the post quality restrictions filter too) categorize some of those as spam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.