News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Legislator proposes merging KTA into KDOT

Started by Scott5114, February 04, 2009, 05:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/feb/02/lawmaker-wants-kansas-turnpike-brought-under-state/

Thanks to Richie Kennedy for posting this on MTR.

Logically, the idea of having two separate agencies has always seemed a bit wasteful to me...there has to be some kind of redundancy there. Merging the agencies would probably be cheaper. But the problem with the idea is the legislators wanting to divert the toll proceeds to non-road projects. That is a colossally bad idea, budget shortfall or no.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mightyace

They don't have to combine them to do that.

In Pennsylvania, the PTC is giving money from tolls to PENNDOT for repair of non-tolled highways and other forms of transportation.  And, that frees up general fund money to be spent on other things.

And, I'm sure that tolls are higher on the Pennsylvania Turnpike System are higher than they would be otherwise.

I'm sure that would happen in Kansas as well if the KTA is abolished.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Scott5114

I'm not sure. I think there's some thing as it is now about KTA that says the Turnpike can only use Turnpike money and it can't go to anything else. Bless their hearts, they're always been quite proud of the Turnpike being self-sufficient.

Also, Mr Feuerborn wants to skip the middleman and give all the cash direct to the state's general fund. Not just giving the cash to KDOT so KDOT doesn't have to get into the general fund as much.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

TollRoadsNews had an in-depth report on this proposal.  I think it has now died, probably through being refused committee review, though I haven't yet checked this with a bill tracker.

I think TollRoadsNews' account is probably the most honest available since it doesn't try to twist the story to fit a balancing-the-budget slant.  By his own admission, Feuerborn's rationale is to eliminate duplication in plant and equipment and make sure the Turnpike's debt is completely paid down (i.e., put an end to the current situation where the KTA can perpetuate its own existence by issuing new bonds).

IMO, transfers to the general fund are a complete red herring.  KDOT currently receives only $16 million from the state general fund, which is a pittance compared to a typical monthly letting.  I don't think the provision allowing Turnpike revenues to be transferred to the general fund would have survived committee review, because a similar proposal to use Turnpike revenues to fund shortfalls in the university system fell flat last year.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.