News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois Road Videos

Started by Crash_It, October 24, 2021, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 04:50:49 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 04:04:15 PM
Illinois is also a rather boring state outside of Chicago.

This is 1000% false, I strongly hope that you aren't serious. Illinois is one of those states where it would take a lifetime to burn out all there's to do. Unlike Michigan for example which doesn't even make the top 10

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-fun-states/34665

Edit:

Wow, even Ohio is considered a funner state than Michigan. How could you be a more boring state than Ohio?

I'm sorry. Having Alaska be 33rd on that list rules out any slight hint of credibility it could have. Alaska is epic.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 26, 2022, 05:40:19 PM
I'm sorry. Having Alaska be 33rd on that list rules out any slight hint of credibility it could have. Alaska is epic.

He only cherry picks the lists and categories that paint Illinois as elite, and dismisses or ignores any that suggest it's not the best state in America in every metric.

There was the deleted discussion where he claimed Illinois's neighbors could only dream of having the lifestyle and quality of life they do in Illinois, when other neighboring states generally equaled or surpassed it in all his chosen metrics.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Crash_It

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 05:12:21 PM

This is 1000% false, I strongly hope that you aren't serious. Illinois is one of those states where it would take a lifetime to burn out all there's to do. Unlike Michigan for example which doesn't even make the top 10

Edit:

Wow, even Ohio is considered a funner state than Michigan. How could you be a more boring state than Ohio?
No dude it isn't and not even close. You think Illinois has more to offer than Michigan does? If that's the case then tell your state's residents to stop vacationing here, stop coming to our lakes, stop entering our state if Illinois has so much to do then you shouldn't be coming to Michigan to spend your vacations. But what you said is totally incorrect as usual. I don't know why anyone should consider you as a source of what Michigan has to offer when you yourself said that you haven't been any further into the state than Niles. Michigan is far from being a boring state. Just because I said that Illinois is boring your comeback is that Michigan is boring? Not a very good source there.

If Michigan had more to offer than Illinois then Michigan would be higher on the list now wouldn't it? The only reason why people vacation there is because Illinois residents don't consider remaining in Illinois as a vacation. Not to mention that I can go just about anywhere in this state and get a good meal. Can't say the same for any other neighboring state. I did mention on my Facebook page that Illinois has 2,900 lakes within it's borders and that excludes the artificial ones.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 05:57:56 PM

Edit:

No dude it isn't and not even close. You think Illinois has more to offer than Michigan does? If that's the case then tell your state's residents to stop vacationing here, stop coming to our lakes, stop entering our state if Illinois has so much to do then you shouldn't be coming to Michigan to spend your vacations. But what you said is totally incorrect as usual. I don't know why anyone should consider you as a source of what Michigan has to offer when you yourself said that you haven't been any further into the state than Niles. Michigan is far from being a boring state. Just because I said that Illinois is boring your comeback is that Michigan is boring? Not a very good source there.

If Michigan had more to offer than Illinois then Michigan would be higher on the list now wouldn't it? The only reason why people vacation there is because Illinois residents don't consider remaining in Illinois as a vacation. Not to mention that I can go just about anywhere in this state and get a good meal. Can't say the same for any other neighboring state. I did mention on my Facebook page that Illinois has 2,900 lakes within it's borders and that excludes the artificial ones.

You do realize you're the guy who based an opinion off a state solely on what he saw on I-90 and I-94 right?  So pardon me if I take your biased pro-Illinois opinion for what it is.  Also, Wallethub is the best citation you go?

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 26, 2022, 05:22:29 PM

Edit:

Took me less than two years to burn out on Illinois, it's slim pickings outside Chicago.  I still find interesting things to do that I haven't seen in Michigan (even after living there 13 years).  About the only state Illinois is going to beat consistently in the Midwest is Indiana.  Even then, Indiana has the favored beach on Lake Michigan for Chicago area residents.

You haven't been going to the right places then because there's tons even outside of Chicago. Here are 10 things to do around Springfield

https://www.sj-r.com/story/lifestyle/travel/2022/05/26/10-things-to-see-do-summer-within-100-miles-springfield/9907855002/

Another good resource to check is this site as well:

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/states/illinois/

And then there's this one

https://www.illinoisouth.org/

And finally the flagship site for Illinois tourism:
https://www.enjoyillinois.com/

Even my own YouTube channel is a resource.. I also spotlight points of interest in any video I make outside of the videos of bad drivers.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 06:03:25 PM

Edit:

Took me less than two years to burn out on Illinois, it's slim pickings outside Chicago.  I still find interesting things to do that I haven't seen in Michigan (even after living there 13 years).  About the only state Illinois is going to beat consistently in the Midwest is Indiana.  Even then, Indiana has the favored beach on Lake Michigan for Chicago area residents.

You haven't been going to the right places then because there's tons even outside of Chicago. Here are 10 things to do around Springfield

https://www.sj-r.com/story/lifestyle/travel/2022/05/26/10-things-to-see-do-summer-within-100-miles-springfield/9907855002/

Even my own YouTube channel is a resource.. I also spotlight points of interest in any video I make outside of the videos of bad drivers.

You think that you are resource for anything?  Especially after what you said on the trucker page yesterday?  Why don't you show everyone the person they are actually dealing talking to in this thread?

https://fb.watch/dfJ7kbR8kb/

Pro tip, the internet never forgets the stupid shit people say and what you said was next level stupid.  So yeah, when someone comes along with an opinion about Illinois that isn't making "HIV piss bottle"  jokes maybe I'll consider what they have to say. 

TheHighwayMan3561

I did mention on my Facebook page that Illinois has 2,900 lakes within it's borders and that excludes the artificial ones.

Yeah...Wisconsin and Minnesota have over 11,000 each, and Michigan has 4 Great Lakes to Illinois' 1.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Not to mention that I can go just about anywhere in this state and get a good meal.

I really do cringe at 80% of what you say.  But, credit where credit is due.  Illinois does have good food at its restaurants.  Especially in Chicagoland, pizza is consistently good, Mexican is nearly as consistent, and there are a LOT of hidden gem family diners.  But the food I've had farther downstate has been great too.

If Michigan had more to offer than Illinois then Michigan would be higher on the list now wouldn't it? The only reason why people vacation there is because Illinois residents don't consider remaining in Illinois as a vacation.

Where are all the Michiganders vacationing in Illinois (other than Chicago)?  Shouldn't it swing both ways?  No, the reason it doesn't is that Illinoisans have an accurate view of things:  Michigan is better vacation country than Illinois.  The Michigan Dunes have been Chicagoans vacationland for many decades, with good reason.  Michigan is one state I'd definitely be willing to explore more of.

The truth is that most states have plenty of opportunities to explore–but you have to go in looking for them with open eyes.  It seems your eyes are taped wide open when it comes to Illinois, but you refuse to open them more than a squint when it comes to any bordering state.  Get off your high horse.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

I will point out that when discussing things to do and not flatness, it makes more sense to use population as a frame of reference, in which 2/3 of Illinois is Chicagoland. You would expect downstate not to have much. (That said, some states have points of interest in rural areas, such as scenery or major historical sites. Illinois doesn't.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Crash_It

Quote from: 1 on May 26, 2022, 07:18:03 PM
(That said, some states have points of interest in rural areas, such as scenery or major historical sites. Illinois doesn't.)

False. There's plenty scenery and historical sites in Illinois outside of Chicago...

Cahokia mounds
Lowden State Park which is home to the Blackhawk Indian statue in Oregon Illinois
Fort Defiance near Cairo

Just to name a few. The fact that you would even type that just shows how misinformed you are about Illinois.

JoePCool14

Edit:

I don't often laugh out loud when reading forum posts, but this one... this one did it.

What's your take on Wisconsin then? More or less interesting than Illinois?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

^^^

He's already toured it fully on I-94 and I-90.  :rolleyes:

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 07:38:31 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 26, 2022, 07:18:03 PM
(That said, some states have points of interest in rural areas, such as scenery or major historical sites. Illinois doesn't.)

False. There's plenty scenery and historical sites in Illinois outside of Chicago...

Cahokia mounds
Lowden State Park which is home to the Blackhawk Indian statue in Oregon Illinois
Fort Defiance near Cairo

Just to name a few. The fact that you would even type that just shows how misinformed you are about Illinois.

At least he doesn't throw out causal accusations of racism and makes jokes about HIV.  Must be that wide angle dash cam view that's making you do things like that.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2022, 05:25:27 PM
If you take Detroit and Chicago away Michigan blows Illinois away.
So you're saying skyscrapers make Illinois less flat?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 26, 2022, 07:41:06 PM

Edit:

I don't often laugh out loud when reading forum posts, but this one... this one did it.

You do realize his disdain for WI.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Scott5114

Every state is interesting.*

*except maybe Iowa
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2022, 08:43:23 PM

*except maybe Iowa

Hey, Iowa is great if you have a corn fetish.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SSOWorld

Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 26, 2022, 08:46:32 PM

*except maybe Iowa

no, just idiots out wandering around
Scott O.

Raise your what?

kphoger

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 26, 2022, 08:49:25 PM

*except maybe Iowa

Ooh!  You know Iowa jokes!  OK, here's one:

What's the best thing to come out of Iowa?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2022, 09:02:23 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 26, 2022, 08:49:25 PM

*except maybe Iowa

Ooh!  You know Iowa jokes!  OK, here's one:

What's the best thing to come out of Iowa?

I-35?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Nope.

It's I-80.

Close, though.
Male pronouns, please.

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2022, 09:11:55 PM
Nope.

It's I-80.

Close, though.
More MLB games have been played in Iowa (1) than in many other states.

Flint1979

Edit:

Wow so some list on the internet is the tell all that Illinois is a fun state. This list doesn't do anything to prove your point. Lol @ your reasoning on why Illinois residents vacation in Michigan. So what? I can go anywhere in Michigan and get a good meal too doesn't make it less fun than Illinois. So your claim to, "Can't say the same for any other neighboring state" is totally incorrect, besides how would you know? You've only ventured as far as Niles in Michigan. Good for Illinois. Michigan has over 11,000 lakes of five acres or more and many more smaller lakes, them 2,900 lakes don't compare.

For the Great Outdoors Illinois doesn't even come close to Michigan.

Crash_It

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 26, 2022, 07:41:06 PM

Edit:

I absolutely can't stand that place and it's #15 on that list of funnest states. I guess the mistreatment of my grandmother who I was close with within the healthcare system there that led to her eventual death nearly 5 years ago is part of my disdain for that place.

And here's a new article that was just released and again good news for Illinois especially vs Wisconsin and Michigan

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-states-for-millennials/33371

Rothman

Illinois is still flat.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on May 26, 2022, 06:03:25 PM

Edit:

So this proves it. You're 100% biased toward Illinois and can't at all admit that another state might be better than Illinois in certain categories. Also are you part of the Springfield tourism department now? I could find just as much in Lansing as Springfield and possibly more. I know I could find more in Grand Rapids than Springfield.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.