News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

VIA County Road

Started by roadman65, January 18, 2022, 11:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Are there any other states that mention towns along non state routes as "VIA COUNTY ROAD"  like KDOT does?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

brad2971

bugo

I didn't know there were Billy Sims restaurants in Kansas.

SD Mapman

Quote from: brad2971 on January 18, 2022, 12:18:46 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2022, 11:54:36 AM

Are there any other states that mention towns along non state routes as "VIA COUNTY ROAD"  like KDOT does?

KDOT's neighbors to the north do: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.714379,-97.3456407,3a,75y,294.33h,84.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snpj12Avh1_ql_me5mwHgTw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I think it's because in both states a lot of towns are served by short spur state highways, so it's assumed that towns are not served by county roads and it should be specified when they are.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Bobby5280

Quote from: bugoI didn't know there were Billy Sims restaurants in Kansas.

Most of them are in Oklahoma. In recent years the chain expanded into Kansas. I think Joplin has a location too.

bwana39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 18, 2022, 01:17:20 PM

Most of them are in Oklahoma. In recent years the chain expanded into Kansas. I think Joplin has a location too.

We drove up US-169 and there was one along our way in KS back in 2018 or 2019.

They tried one in Texarkana, TX but it didn't make it. Billy is from Hooks 15 miles away.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Scott5114

The board game store I used to play D&D at a few years ago had a deal with the Billy Sims next door, where you could order and pay at the game store counter and then someone from Billy Sims would run it over and you could eat at the table while you played. I don't care for much barbecue but I like Billy Sims (probably because I dislike barbecue sauce, and Billy Sims is one of the rare places that have the sauce on the side by default).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Kansas and Nebraska are the only ones I can think of that use the "Via County Road" verbiage.  The vast majority of other states just give the destination and leave the motorist to figure it out.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

apeman33

Quote from: Bobby5280 on January 18, 2022, 01:17:20 PM

It does. Also Dodge City and Hays in Western Kansas that I know of.

jtespi

Quote from: roadman65 on January 18, 2022, 11:54:36 AM
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 24, 2022, 02:39:31 AM
Kansas and Nebraska are the only ones I can think of that use the "Via County Road" verbiage.  The vast majority of other states just give the destination and leave the motorist to figure it out.

I've been looking for a thread post about this. I always found it odd they put "Via County Road" on the signs in Kansas when I was browsing Street View to plan my next road trip.

In my opinion, they should put that kind of 'disclaimer' only for dirt/unpaved county roads. It would make more sense to me. In the Western states, I believe they would put that wording if they had substantial county roads connecting towns. Usually because the distances are so far, towns are connected with at least state highways in the West.

In the current way it is signed, I guess it can still be a disclaimer in cases of inclement weather. County roads are less likely (lowest priority) to be cleared or plowed during a rain/snow storm.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jtespi on September 19, 2022, 12:49:18 AMI've been looking for a thread post about this. I always found it odd they put "Via County Road" on the signs in Kansas when I was browsing Street View to plan my next road trip.

In my opinion, they should put that kind of 'disclaimer' only for dirt/unpaved county roads. It would make more sense to me. In the Western states, I believe they would put that wording if they had substantial county roads connecting towns. Usually because the distances are so far, towns are connected with at least state highways in the West.

In order for a place (either an incorporated city or an unincorporated community) to receive "Via County Road" signing in Kansas, the following must happen:

*  It must be shown on the official state transportation map (the same one you can pick up at tourist information centers).

*  The county commissioners must request the signing.

*  The routing must be by rural secondary (RS) roads and the county is responsible for any follow-on trailblazer signing that is necessary.  (RS roads are indicated as such on the official county highway maps KDOT publishes.  They are shown in black while ordinary county or township roads appear in gray, and generally represent a fairly small subset of the total locally maintained road system outside incorporated cities.  While the RS system includes unpaved roads, in fairly populous counties such as Sedgwick or Saline, it includes most of the rural paved county road mileage.)

Thus, in Kansas at least, the function is less to indicate "the road to this destination may not be paved" and more to say "this destination is not directly reachable from the state highway system but is nevertheless considered locally important."  I don't know if Nebraska has similar rules for its version of this signing.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.