News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-80 Reroute in Wyoming

Started by Plutonic Panda, January 31, 2022, 05:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

WYDOT proposing an approx 100 mile, 6 billion dollar route of I-80 along US-30 from Walcott to Laramie.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/01/30/wydot-proposes-reroute-of-i-80-to-avoid-winter-closures/

How likely is this to happen?

US 41

I'm a truck driver and I-80 by Elk Mountain is always super windy. US 30 is slightly better because it's farther away from the mountain range, but they often close 30 to trucks due to the wind as well.

No joke I was stuck in Rawlins for 3 days in late December due to the wind and snow. Wyoming weather is just terrible. I ended up driving up to Casper and taking 20 across Nebraska as that route finally was clear and didn't have 60+ mph wind gusts. 30 and 80 were both closed.

On the way out there to Utah I had to take 230 and 130 (which barely goes into CO) to get from Laramie to Rawlins due to the wind.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

SkyPesos

Can someone explain the weather situation to me? The elevation seems to be less than I-70 between Grand Junction and Denver, so how come it needs a reroute when I-70 probably deals with bad weather/road closures even more?

davewiecking

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 31, 2022, 05:48:26 PM
WYDOT proposing an approx 100 mile, 6 billion dollar route of I-80 along US-30 from Walcott to Laramie.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/01/30/wydot-proposes-reroute-of-i-80-to-avoid-winter-closures/

According to the quoted WYDOT Director, the odds are " very, very, very, very small."  But it's an interesting idea. Locals who were aware of the wind conditions believe Uncle Sam made the wrong decision when they didn't follow US-30 originally, instead opting for a more scenic route.

Ketchup99

Here's an idea. What if instead of rerouting I-80, they twinned US-30 for that stretch? That would be a lot cheaper, but it would also make it a very viable alternate route when I-80 has to be closed. Since I'm not sure that I-80 across Wyoming really ever needed to be a freeway either, it would provide a fine, high-speed alternate route more than capable of carrying the traffic.

Henry

Needless to say, that ship has sailed. Of all the places to build on top of an existing US highway, this should've been one, and since the townspeople along US 30 protested against the current mountain route and lost, talk about a golden opportunity sorely missed. This routing would be perfect for an alternate-reality Interstate system where most, if not all, of the unbuilt routes were completed as planned.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US 89

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 31, 2022, 07:21:26 PM
Can someone explain the weather situation to me? The elevation seems to be less than I-70 between Grand Junction and Denver, so how come it needs a reroute when I-70 probably deals with bad weather/road closures even more?

I-80 is probably a less reliable route over the Rockies in winter than I-70. The problem isn't snow or elevation. It's wind.

Southern Wyoming is a relatively flat place which makes it especially prone to strong winds. It might snow more on 70 than it does on 80, but the snow on 80 is often accompanied by stiff winds that blow and drift it around and make it almost impossible to clear. This can be a problem anytime there is snow on the ground even if it's not falling from the sky. There are multiple sets of snow gates on mainline I-80 across the state for this reason.

Quote from: Ketchup99 on January 31, 2022, 07:46:58 PM
Here's an idea. What if instead of rerouting I-80, they twinned US-30 for that stretch? That would be a lot cheaper, but it would also make it a very viable alternate route when I-80 has to be closed. Since I'm not sure that I-80 across Wyoming really ever needed to be a freeway either, it would provide a fine, high-speed alternate route more than capable of carrying the traffic.

I-80 across Wyoming definitely deserves its freeway status. There may not be a lot of population along the route but there are a metric shitton of trucks and traffic counts are pretty decent by rural western standards.

JREwing78

Here's an idea. What if instead of rerouting I-80, they twinned US-30 for that stretch?

Is that a pressing need? From the standpoint of traffic management, is US-30 in any danger whatsoever of becoming overloaded, even during a closure of I-80?

More to the point - what are the conditions that would make the existing US-30 NOT viable as an alternative route? Its posted speed limit (70 mph) is well higher than what reasonable people would be traveling at in inclement weather. The lanes are standard 12 foot lanes with wide shoulders, and periodic passing lane sections. There is also a fairly long 4-lane divided stretch between Rock River and Bosier.

Honestly, the only problems with US-30 is that it is 16 additional miles, and services are more limited on the stretch compared to I-80. WYDOT doesn't need to drop a bunch of cash on a twinning that's not going to get used more than a handful of times per year. As US 41 mentioned, weather conditions that shut down I-80 frequently will also shut down US-30.

Plutonic Panda

What about twinning it and using one side as a pedestrian/bike path until I-80 is shut down and then is switched to car traffic only? That would be reasonable.

US 89

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 01, 2022, 09:57:29 AM
What about twinning it and using one side as a pedestrian/bike path until I-80 is shut down and then is switched to car traffic only? That would be reasonable.

Yeah, for the 18 people that would use that bike path over the course of a year...

TXtoNJ

Quote from: US 89 on January 31, 2022, 09:55:35 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 31, 2022, 07:21:26 PM

I-80 is probably a less reliable route over the Rockies in winter than I-70. The problem isn't snow or elevation. It's wind.

Southern Wyoming is a relatively flat place which makes it especially prone to strong winds. It might snow more on 70 than it does on 80, but the snow on 80 is often accompanied by stiff winds that blow and drift it around and make it almost impossible to clear. This can be a problem anytime there is snow on the ground even if it's not falling from the sky. There are multiple sets of snow gates on mainline I-80 across the state for this reason.

I-80 across Wyoming definitely deserves its freeway status. There may not be a lot of population along the route but there are a metric shitton of trucks and traffic counts are pretty decent by rural western standards.

The weather is also worse because the elevation relative to the Gulf of Mexico gently lifts, rather than sharply as in the Colorado Rockies. This allows snowy weather driven by Gulf moisture to spread over a much broader area than the Rockies, where it will slam against the Front Range then exhaust itself.

The I-80 route close to a sharper uplift enhances this precipitative effect.

triplemultiplex

Good lord what a potential waste of resources.  They better drug test this dude proposing this.
All for what? One or two fewer days I-80 is closed per winter?  DUMB!

Look I get that southern Wyoming is a physical and cultural moonscape and I'd hate for people to have to spend any more time there than they have to as much as the next person, but come on.

I'll try and remember this story the next time something comes up about a goofy infrastructure idea in California or New York as proof no region has a monopoly on batshit.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Rothman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 01, 2022, 11:07:14 AM

Good lord what a potential waste of resources.  They better drug test this dude proposing this.
All for what? One or two fewer days I-80 is closed per winter?  DUMB!

Look I get that southern Wyoming is a physical and cultural moonscape and I'd hate for people to have to spend any more time there than they have to as much as the next person, but come on.

I'll try and remember this story the next time something comes up about a goofy infrastructure idea in California or New York as proof no region has a monopoly on batshit.
It's more than a couple of days out of the winter that it gets closed down and even then, high wind advisories are even more common.

Just drove it a couple of weeks ago.  Wyoming needs to do a better job with VMS messaging, where drivers could get confused if the closures pertain to them or not.  I saw VMSes that said the entire interstate was closed and then others that said just closed to high profile vehicles...not sure what constituted a high profile vehicle (did my BIL's U-Haul?).

Anyway, if the US 30 route greatly (<--keyword) reduced the wind issue. I'd be all for its development.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ski-man

Living in Laramie, and from my conversations, many times when I-80 is closed to all vehicles, not just high profile / light weight trucks, US-30 is also closed as to not overload a road that is only two lanes for about 3/4 of the distance from Laramie to Wolcott Jct. There are A LOT of trucks on this stretch as it is a better route to the west coast than 70, and if I-80 is closed due to wind or winter conditions, US 30 will get some, just not as bad. Combine the conditions on a two lane road with a lot of cross-country semis, and that road can be a parking lot as well with icy spots to boot.

Rick Powell

Quote from: ski-man on February 01, 2022, 03:14:17 PM
Living in Laramie, and from my conversations, many times when I-80 is closed to all vehicles, not just high profile / light weight trucks, US-30 is also closed as to not overload a road that is only two lanes for about 3/4 of the distance from Laramie to Wolcott Jct. There are A LOT of trucks on this stretch as it is a better route to the west coast than 70, and if I-80 is closed due to wind or winter conditions, US 30 will get some, just not as bad. Combine the conditions on a two lane road with a lot of cross-country semis, and that road can be a parking lot as well with icy spots to boot.

It seems that there would be a middle ground here that doesn't cost as much as 100 miles of new interstate, but could function as a better truck bypass as needed. My wife and I have had several adventures in Wyoming during the winter storms, and appreciate that sometimes there is no way around, and sometimes there is a single route available that takes you 200 miles out of your way with no guarantee it too will stay open.

davewiecking

Good to hear from a local on this. This pass seems to have the Union Pacific mainline that then splits and heads to both LA and Portland. Any idea if this generally get shut down during times the roadways are? Obviously not due to jackknifed obstructions due to ice, but more due to blowing snow...

vdeane

How much would four-laning US 30 (perhaps with "essential traffic only" advisories when I-80 is closed) help?  That would seem to be a way to reduce the cost over moving I-80.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SectorZ

Quote from: US 89 on February 01, 2022, 10:00:42 AM

Yeah, for the 18 people that would use that bike path over the course of a year...

Hey wasn't a whole movie predicated on a guy hearing a voice telling him "If you build it, they will come..."

JREwing78

Living in Laramie, and from my conversations, many times when I-80 is closed to all vehicles, not just high profile / light weight trucks, US-30 is also closed as to not overload a road that is only two lanes for about 3/4 of the distance from Laramie to Wolcott Jct.

If that's truly the case - that they close US-30 between Laramie and Wolcott Jct. because of excessive traffic concerns when I-80 is closed, then I might understand the impulse to twin US-30. It's still wild overkill the vast majority of the time, but it might be worth it if that kept traffic flowing when I-80 has to shut down. But it doesn't need to be Interstate - rural 4-lane with controlled access is plenty good enough. Effectively, it's 80 miles of new 2-lane roadway in wide-open countryside, plus periodic crossovers (there's about 15-20 miles of highway already 4-laned). It shouldn't cost anywhere near $6 Billion to build. I'd be surprised if it required $1 Billion

Of course, the state of Wyoming isn't going to do this on their own, and shouldn't. It's a route of national importance - they need to lobby the feds to fund it. Obviously, nobody at WYDOT is serious about relocating I-80, but maybe they can make the case to the feds to twin US-30 to cut the number of times they have to shut down traffic in the region.

Rothman

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 01, 2022, 08:52:27 PM
Living in Laramie, and from my conversations, many times when I-80 is closed to all vehicles, not just high profile / light weight trucks, US-30 is also closed as to not overload a road that is only two lanes for about 3/4 of the distance from Laramie to Wolcott Jct.

If that's truly the case - that they close US-30 between Laramie and Wolcott Jct. because of excessive traffic concerns when I-80 is closed, then I might understand the impulse to twin US-30. It's still wild overkill the vast majority of the time, but it might be worth it if that kept traffic flowing when I-80 has to shut down. But it doesn't need to be Interstate - rural 4-lane with controlled access is plenty good enough. Effectively, it's 80 miles of new 2-lane roadway in wide-open countryside, plus periodic crossovers (there's about 15-20 miles of highway already 4-laned). It shouldn't cost anywhere near $6 Billion to build. I'd be surprised if it required $1 Billion

Of course, the state of Wyoming isn't going to do this on their own, and shouldn't. It's a route of national importance - they need to lobby the feds to fund it. Obviously, nobody at WYDOT is serious about relocating I-80, but maybe they can make the case to the feds to twin US-30 to cut the number of times they have to shut down traffic in the region.

The subsequent issue would be how Wyoming would afford to maintain the new highway.  All I know is that it seems they chip seal I-80 and everyone's vehicles get chipped from others throwing gravel their way.  Whatever they're doing, I actually wonder if FHWA should allow them to do it with federal funds.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

sprjus4

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 01, 2022, 08:52:27 PM
But it doesn't need to be Interstate - rural 4-lane with controlled access is plenty good enough.
It's questionable if such alternative route needs to be controlled access.

A simple rural four lane divided highway with no or partial control of access would be more than adequate for when I-80 is shut down.

kkt

How much traffic does I-80 through Wyoming get in the winter when it's most likely to be closed?  I only drove it once, it was January, and there were a fair number of trucks but not so crowded that it was annoying to drive.

There are several small towns via US 30, and handing them might be a sticking point.  Bypass the town and kill whatever tourism there is, vs. loads of trucks along a 2-lane main street.

Plutonic Panda

Is a four lane road really needed outside of an interstate closure? If not shut one side off to cars when the interstate is open. Less wear and tear on the road too. Idk this isn't my territory so I don't really care either way I come through here maybe once every other year. I've hit some bad weather but I managed it.

GaryV

Quote from: SectorZ on February 01, 2022, 08:50:06 PM

Hey wasn't a whole movie predicated on a guy hearing a voice telling him "If you build it, they will come..."
So we're going to build a path for ghost bikers?

SectorZ

Quote from: GaryV on February 02, 2022, 08:28:09 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on February 01, 2022, 08:50:06 PM

So we're going to build a path for ghost bikers?

Yes but the most skilled of them are going to be banned from riding their bikes on anything else, hence the need.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.