News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA 66

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 24, 2022, 04:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

It would seem we don't have a thread for CA 66.  I put something together based off the Legislative Definition history and documents in the AASHTO Database:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/04/california-state-route-66.html

the91fwy

so you're the gribble nation webmaster?  nice site! stumbled upon it a while ago but i have to admit the domain makes me think of a certain king of the hill character

i got off the 15 on my way up to vegas last time on foothill and Rancho Cucumonga has really built quite the presence along the road indicating it's historic 66.  the sad part is it's all "modern looking" and just.... didn't resonate much with me.

i also read somewhere there was a few genuine US-66 (non-historic) shields hanging out on foothill up until at least the 2000's but it looks like they got removed in in the past few years.

~cat

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: the91fwy on April 25, 2022, 07:39:39 PM
so you're the gribble nation webmaster?  nice site! stumbled upon it a while ago but i have to admit the domain makes me think of a certain king of the hill character

i got off the 15 on my way up to vegas last time on foothill and Rancho Cucumonga has really built quite the presence along the road indicating it's historic 66.  the sad part is it's all "modern looking" and just.... didn't resonate much with me.

i also read somewhere there was a few genuine US-66 (non-historic) shields hanging out on foothill up until at least the 2000's but it looks like they got removed in in the past few years.

~cat

One of four to be exact pertaining to Gribblenation.

Yes, I recall there being some modern US 66 replicas occasionally posted along the corridor of CA 66 when I worked in the area.  From what I remember there was rumors someone was going around to steal them.  I've never seen any pop up on eBay or places like gas/oil shows.  Seemingly AAroads has a picture of one in their shield gallery:

https://www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=CA19710661

Alps

I have found nonzero US 66 shields in the wild - one genuine in Albuquerque from the mid-80s but also a couple of "errors" (or DOTs playing nice).

ClassicHasClass

There's a nice CA 66 shield right at its eastern terminus heading westbound in San Bernardino, and a couple surviving postmiles in the city limits.

Most of the cities have their own version of US 66 signage along the legislative definition.

kendancy66

Here is a US 66 sign I found on google street view in Oklahoma.  It could still be there

https://goo.gl/maps/SYXJr3yNKc27ewPR8

LilianaUwU

Quote from: kendancy66 on April 26, 2022, 08:06:31 PM
Here is a US 66 sign I found on google street view in Oklahoma.  It could still be there

https://goo.gl/maps/SYXJr3yNKc27ewPR8

It's a modern error, sadly. Also, I'm pretty sure it was corrected rather quickly, but it's neat that Street View captured it.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

the91fwy

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 26, 2022, 02:37:42 PM
There's a nice CA 66 shield right at its eastern terminus heading westbound in San Bernardino, and a couple surviving postmiles in the city limits.

Most of the cities have their own version of US 66 signage along the legislative definition.

https://www.socalregion.com/highways/la_highways/sr-66/ has a couple shields including i think the one you're speaking of (on mount vernon?) - there's also one in rancho that it says dates to 2009 but i haven't been able to locate it on street view yet :(

~cat

ClassicHasClass

No, those pictures are old. The US 66 cutouts (which were beautiful) got ripped off a number of years ago. The 83-66 signage got turned into unified signs presumably to retard their own theft.

Also, the two signs at the bottom no longer exist after the 2014 I-215 reconfiguration. Instead, there is a single CA 66 WEST reassurance shield on 5th Ave in San Bernardino just west of I-215. It is much newer than these, but looks very nice. Precious few other CA 66s hold on, such as a trailblazer on NB Riverside Ave in Rialto just south of Foothill, though there may be stragglers elsewhere.

The Ghostbuster

Has anyone got their kicks on CA 66?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 28, 2022, 02:33:30 PM

I was pretty entertained looking for the uni-sign I used as the blog cover photo.  Running around trying to clinch the old alignments of US 66 wasn't a boring endeavor on the CA 66 corridor in 2011. 

the91fwy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 28, 2022, 02:33:30 PM

yes, yes i have!!!! (well not the CA bit but...)

bing101

Here is the Google doodle of US-66 however parts of the California section of US-66 is now known as CA-66 and County route 66.

Alps

Quote from: bing101 on April 30, 2022, 07:23:37 AM
Here is the Google doodle of US-66 however parts of the California section of US-66 is now known as CA-66 and County route 66.

Just noting that it was shown today (4/30) because 96 years ago MO sent the first acceptance of that being the number for the route (as opposed to 60).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on April 30, 2022, 11:54:43 PM
Quote from: bing101 on April 30, 2022, 07:23:37 AM

Just noting that it was shown today (4/30) because 96 years ago MO sent the first acceptance of that being the number for the route (as opposed to 60).

Okay that actually makes sense, I couldn't find what Google was referring to anywhere. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.