Regional Boards > Central States

Does the Kansas Policy to Route State Highways Around Towns Kill Growth?

(1/5) > >>

Avalanchez71:
Travelling all over Kansas one can tell where the old alignment of many routes went into town only to see the marked route veer outside of town.  This policy appears to be repeated all over KS.  There are a coupe of anomalies here and there, Phillipsburg comes to mind.  KS has a policy of turning most of the milage over to the city if I remember reading in other posts.  They seem to have taken out many Business routes.  The "new" US 400 was build with avoiding towns for sure.

I can tell you that I veered off here and there and found some really neat and unique places.  There was a really cool town off US 36 that was turned into a multi-block museum.  There is still block on the old highway through town as well.  Would you say that this policy has killed growth or even diminished the town?

Ted$8roadFan:

--- Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 16, 2022, 02:34:53 AM ---Travelling all over Kansas one can tell where the old alignment of many routes went into town only to see the marked route veer outside of town.  This policy appears to be repeated all over KS.  There are a coupe of anomalies here and there, Phillipsburg comes to mind.  KS has a policy of turning most of the milage over to the city if I remember reading in other posts.  They seem to have taken out many Business routes.  The "new" US 400 was build with avoiding towns for sure.

I can tell you that I veered off here and there and found some really neat and unique places.  There was a really cool town off US 36 that was turned into a multi-block museum.  There is still block on the old highway through town as well.  Would you say that this policy has killed growth or even diminished the town?

--- End quote ---

Does Kansas mark routes going through towns as “Business 36” or “Byp. 36”? That could make a difference.

kphoger:
AIUI, the policy in Kansas is that a state route cannot exist entirely within city limits.  I'm not aware of any policy that sends through-routes around towns.  I mean, no more than any other state builds bypasses and then signs the highway on the bypass.

US 89:
Conclusion: building bypasses is a waste of my hard-earned taxpayer money.

-Avalanchez, probably

JayhawkCO:
Bluntly, the towns that Kansas is routing highways around aren't growing for a million other reasons other than the highway itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version