News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was reading in wykopedia that the Delaware Service Area on I-95 is called Delaware House, just like Maryland has a Maryland House on the same highway.  Years ago this  area was called Hot Shoppers and not its present name. When did Delaware change the name?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Michael in Philly

I don't know the history of that service area, but Hot Shoppes was the name of a big restaurant/cafeteria chain in the Washington area back in the 50s and 60s.  Maybe it wasn't that the service area was called Hot Shoppes, but that Hot Shoppes had the food franchise there?  Just a guess....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

A follow up article to the news posted about a month ago for the I-95/US 202/DE 202 interchange (Exit 8 ) reconstruction project.

Upgrade coming to I-95, 202 site

QuoteDelaware's sometimes notorious I-95 interchange at U.S. 202 will get a three-year, $27.6 million makeover starting next month, under a DelDOT plan that could include weekend-long closings of some ramps and even lanes along the interstate.

Quote"The main reason for the work is to address backups that occur on northound 95 approaching U.S. 202," said project manager Mark Tudor. "The project will provide a two-lane ramp all the way, almost, to the north side of the Brandywine River Bridge.

QuoteWidening and improvements also are planned along the ramp between southbound 202 and the interstate, Tudor said, to ease friction and weaving as drivers merge into a single lane before moving onto I-95.

To make room for that work, the ramp from southbound I-95 to southbound Concord Pike will be relocated to the north side of the interchange, with a new traffic signal installed along northbound Concord Pike to allow vehicles to cross onto southbound lanes leading into Wilmington.

Alex

Highway repairs will take a holiday

QuoteNEW CASTLE COUNTY

» Summit Bridge, U.S. 301/Del. 896: Lane closings in both directions through May 1.

» Delaware Memorial Bridge: Weekday closings of two to three southbound lanes through Dec. 16, excluding holidays.

» I-495: Southbound lane restriction between Exit 6 (Naamans Road) and Exit 5 (Philadelphia Pike), and at various times between Edgemoor Road and Christina River bridge.

» Del. 1 at Christiana Mall: Nighttime lane closings, excluding Sundays, through Nov. 22.

» Del. 141 viaduct around Del. 4: Various ramp and lane restrictions.

KENT COUNTY

» U.S. 13 between St. Jones River and Court Street, Court Street between U.S. 13 and Bay Road: Lane closings for repaving.

» U.S. 13 southbound between North State Street and Kings Highway: Nighttime lane closings for water-main installation.

SUSSEX COUNTY

» Del. 1 Indian River Inlet bridge: Speed restrictions, access detours.

» Front Street, Seaford: Nanticoke River bridge closed through Dec. 16.

Alex

Summit Bridge to close this weekend for repairs

QuoteAs part of a $10 million project, workers are stabilizing and stiffening steel gusset plates, sandblasting the 600-foot span and painting it bright blue, according to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which owns and operates the bridge. Work began in April and should end in December 2012.

QuoteOnly two of Summit's four lanes have been open since the spring to reduce the amount of weight on the bridge at any one time, said Sarah M. Rivette, a spokeswoman for the corps in Philadelphia.

All four lanes should reopen Monday after contractors strengthen the span by replacing a 700-pound gusset plate below the deck at the bridge's northeast end. The slab of steel connects adjacent bridge beams and girders to trusses.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 25, 2011, 11:07:23 PM
I don't know the history of that service area, but Hot Shoppes was the name of a big restaurant/cafeteria chain in the Washington area back in the 50s and 60s.  Maybe it wasn't that the service area was called Hot Shoppes, but that Hot Shoppes had the food franchise there?  Just a guess....

Hot Shoppes was a chain of cafeterias and drive-ups (something like present-day Sonic) owned by Marriott (who also once owned Sodexho, f/k/a HostMarriott, which was in the turnpike service plaza business).

Back in the 1960's, there was the Hot Shoppers Jr. concept, which was a fast food place, which eventually morphed into Roy Rogers (there's still a Roy Rogers at the Maryland House service plaza).

Getting back to the Hot Shoppes chain, they were once ubiquitous in the Washington, D.C. region, but the last one was closed in 1999 (they were generally well-run (I think they were all owned directly by Marriott, not franchised), clean, the food was hot and the prices at the Hot Shoppes were right).  Marriott has just announced that they will be bringing the Hot Shoppes brand back to life, with a new one scheduled to open as part of a Marriott hotel in downtown Washington (smart, shrewd move by Marriott, as I think the new Hot Shoppes location will get mobbed).

Images of Hot Shoppes from the 1940's from the George Mason University  here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: Truvelo on September 27, 2011, 01:24:08 PM
US 202 around there has undergone a lot of changes over the last few years. In 2006 I took some pictures of what looked like a new road layout only to find the Augustine Cut Off exit has since been removed. Will the I-95/US 202 ramp be the last work to take place?

I remember seeing these signs along US Route 202 West (South ?) between Talleyville and Wilmington in July of 2009:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alex on March 02, 2010, 05:29:57 PM
Finally  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

New Indian River Inlet Bridge taking shape

QuoteDelDOT's latest update on the project: "As of this week, all four footers of the bridge are complete. Eventually they will be put underground and not visible, however like the foundation of any structure they are key in giving the bridge its strength and long-term stability."

QuoteThe new bridge design calls for a 2,600-foot-long bridge with a 900-foot span across the inlet. It will be supported by cables in a design similar to the Roth Bridge SR 1 Turnpike Bridge over the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal.

QuoteThe current construction is the state's second try at a new bridge over the inlet. Problems with the first bridge approaches came to light in 2007, when fill dirt at the site began to shift and slip, creating a multimillion-dollar setback.

The contract was abandoned and re-advertised and the bridge re-designed. It is expected to be completed in spring 2011.

Drivers can visit the project Web site, www.irib.deldot.gov, to get traffic updates, view cameras or get more information on the construction

Was by this location during the holidays just passed, headed south on Del. 1 from Rehoboth to Ocean City, Maryland. 

Traffic is "detoured" (in one lane each way) onto the old structure, but it looks like the new cable-stayed span is close to being complete and ready for traffic (it was after sunset, so I could not get a really good look).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex

Jan. 20 opening set for Indian River Inlet Bridge

QuoteAfter years and millions of dollars, the new Indian River Inlet Bridge will open to traffic Jan. 20, state officials say.

Following a brief ribbon- cutting ceremony for invited officials, the transition will begin with the rerouting of southbound Del. 1 traffic from the existing bridge, followed by the rerouting of northbound traffic, according to the Delaware Department of Transportation.

The 2,600-foot-long structure will first carry one lane of traffic in each direction on the southbound side of the bridge. This pattern is expected to continue into the spring, while the contractor George & Lynch completes the roadway approaches on the northbound side of the bridge.

Alex

New Indian River Inlet Bridge opening today

QuoteOfficials say the new traffic pattern will consist of one lane in each direction through the spring, when all four lanes are expected to open.

Alex

Alex

3-year project tackles I-95/US 202 bottleneck

QuoteThrough April 2013, phase one of the $27.6-million project...

QuoteTo help improve traffic flow, crews will widen the ramp from one lane to two, nearly to the north side of the Brandywine River bridge. They will also construct a 12-foot shoulder to the right and a six-foot shoulder to the left

QuoteAlso during phase one, the ramp from southbound U.S. 202 to I-95 north will be extended to allow for better merging.

QuoteIn the project's second year, contractors will lower the roadbed of I-95 southbound by three feet where it passes under U.S. 202. This should address a clearance problem -- the risk of large vehicles hitting girders supporting the overpass.

Alex

Widening on Del. 7 to take 20 months

QuoteWork has begun in Bear on a project to widen a stretch of Del. 7 that's grown thick with apartment buildings and town home developments in recent years.

Crews will spend the next 20 months adding a lane in each direction to a mile-long section of the highway, known as Bear-Christiana Road, between Del. 273 and Newtown Road.

Sidewalks, bus stops and bike lanes also are planned, as well as a new traffic signal at the intersection with School Bell Road, according to the state Department of Transportation. Construction is expected to conclude in the winter of 2013.

After the work, the section of Bear-Christiana Road will match the corridor's four lanes between Newtown Road and U.S. 40 in the area of Governor's Square, said spokesman Bob King of DelDOT. Both widening projects were approved in 2000 as part of a 20-year plan for improvements along U.S. 40. When DelDOT hosted public workshops about the Newtown to Del. 273 widening in 2003 and 2004, officials anticipated that construction would have concluded by 2005.

Delays followed, in part because of funding shortages but also because traffic along the corridor didn't grow as much as projected -- a trend reflected statewide, according to transportation planners. The Wilmington Area Planning Council has found that few sections or intersections on the U.S. 40 corridor are considered "failing" at this time. Transit usage has grown considerably -- by 11 percent -- along the corridor, said agency planner Dan Blevins.

Plans for more developments in the area have been filed with New Castle County, so things could soon change. Traffic growth along the corridor was greatest in the area of the road widening.

D-Dey65

I just found this postcard from US 13 at I-95 during the 1960's. Check out the old BGS:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/retrolandusa/5794864559/in/photostream

allniter89

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 05, 2012, 03:46:13 PM
I just found this postcard from US 13 at I-95 during the 1960's. Check out the old BGS:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/retrolandusa/5794864559/in/photostream
Very nice find! Check out the Esso sign and is that a gas price sign, looks like 26cpg.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

bsmart

That would have been about right 26.9 would probably have been the price

D-Dey65

Quote from: allniter89 on May 05, 2012, 08:08:08 PM
Very nice find! Check out the Esso sign and is that a gas price sign, looks like 26cpg.
I was thinking more about the "Toll" bannered I-95 sign, but the Esso sign is noteworthy too.

Is there still an Exxon station there? I forgot. I just remember stopping at Wawa off of I-495 on my way to Philly before going to Long Island.

Alex

Indian River bridge lights up

QuoteWith all of the lanes now open on the Indian River Inlet Bridge, engineers turned on the lights Thursday night for the first time.

The blue LED lights illuminating the stay cables will be on each night. There are 76 low-wattage (55 watt) bulbs and 16 LED fixtures illuminating the outside faces of the pylons, according to the Delaware Department of Transporation, making for a total of 92 lights.

DelDOT says a blue lens was added to soften the lighting, reduce glare and minimize any impacts to migratory birds that can become disoriented in the more traditional bright white lights.

This is one of the first cable stay bridges to use LED lighting technology and will offer substantial energy cost savings for the bridge lighting, DelDOT says.

The last of the four lanes on the new Indian River Inlet Bridge opened this week to traffic, ending a multiyear project that involved numerous lane closures and shifting traffic patterns. The pedestrian walkway is scheduled to open by Friday.

Alex

Pain now, gain later near mall
Construction at I-95, Del. 1 interchange is designed to alleviate congestion

QuoteThe next phase of construction at Delaware's most congested interchange soon will close the loop ramp from northbound Interstate 95 to northbound Del. 7 and temporarily alter exit patterns from the Christiana Mall.

Both changes make room for construction of elevated flyover ramps connecting Del. 1 and I-95 that ultimately will allow for smoother merging and less congestion along the corridor, according to the Delaware Department of Transportation.

QuoteAlso starting July 16, officials will close the Christiana Mall exit near JCPenney until November to allow for construction on the ramp and its tie-in to Del. 7 — also part of the larger interchange project.

QuoteAround July 23, crews will reopen the exit to northbound I-95 from Mall Ring Road (near Nordstrom and the Park & Ride lot) after a year's closure, officials said.

QuoteConstruction on the interchange is expected to wrap up by the end of next year, DelDOT said.

Lyle

So they're finally building the I-95 to DE-1 flyover! It's about time!

allniter89

Quote from: Alex on May 25, 2012, 08:32:41 PM
Indian River bridge lights up

QuoteWith all of the lanes now open on the Indian River Inlet Bridge, engineers turned on the lights Thursday night for the first time.

The blue LED lights illuminating the stay cables will be on each night. There are 76 low-wattage (55 watt) bulbs and 16 LED fixtures illuminating the outside faces of the pylons, according to the Delaware Department of Transporation, making for a total of 92 lights.

DelDOT says a blue lens was added to soften the lighting, reduce glare and minimize any impacts to migratory birds that can become disoriented in the more traditional bright white lights.

This is one of the first cable stay bridges to use LED lighting technology and will offer substantial energy cost savings for the bridge lighting, DelDOT says.

The last of the four lanes on the new Indian River Inlet Bridge opened this week to traffic, ending a multiyear project that involved numerous lane closures and shifting traffic patterns. The pedestrian walkway is scheduled to open by Friday.
Not real good pics, but here it is.
http://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?command=PublicCameraDisplay&county=3
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Alex

Quote from: Lyle on July 05, 2012, 08:27:30 PM
So they're finally building the I-95 to DE-1 flyover! It's about time!

Definitely some progress being made, but work will continue until the end of next year.

Took this photo a few weeks ago looking south from the Interstate 95 overpass at DE 1 & 7.

Alex

Work set for Concord Pike exit on northbound I-95

QuoteWilmington officials announced that an exit on I-95 northbound will be closed from midnight Thursday until 5 a.m. Friday.

Crews will remove overhead signs at Exit 8 (U.S. 202, Concord Pike). There will be signage alerting drivers to the closure and detours.

Drivers headed north should take the Marsh Road exit, turn left and then left onto I-95 southbound to Exit 8B (U.S. 202, Concord Pike/West Chester) or 8A (Concord Avenue).

NE2

I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but the SR 1 freeway now extends south over the Barkers Landing Bridge: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.1061&lon=-75.4544&zoom=13&layers=M
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.