News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-73 updates?

Started by Buummu, April 27, 2011, 12:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

ODOT, 2021

Ohio Turnpike Commission, 1995

Any difference between the two?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Great Lakes Roads

My personal pick is C1 even though it is going to cost a lot more $$ to upgrade 23 through the northern suburbs of Columbus, but it's not impossible. ODOT, go over to Indiana and drive along the US 31 corridor in Hamilton County (which used to be filled with stoplights and traffic prior to the upgrade to a freeway).

SkyPesos

E1 is definitely my preferred option, and it looks similar to what vtk suggested in fictional before. Since I-71 is parallel with US 23 in this area for a bit, it's a good idea to start with it into on the southern end of this new connector imo. W1 would be my second choice, though it's more out of the way than E1. E2 sounds ok too, except US 36 can get messy at around the I-71 interchange. E3 seems like a freeway to nowhere, as it doesn't mention anything about upgrading OH 229 between US 23 and the new freeway, so you'll be dumped onto a 2-lane at the northern end. And I could tell C1 will have lots of issues with acquiring ROW, as it's pretty developed on both sides for most of the way.

Avalanchez71

Is there a no-build option?

vtk

I would be happy with W1, C1, or E1.

W1: easiest to build, relatively direct to my house west of Columbus

C1: most direct to Columbus

E1: easy to build, reasonably direct to most of Columbus, and I've already made a fictional design for it
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Buck87

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on November 16, 2021, 12:39:19 AM
My personal pick is C1 even though it is going to cost a lot more $$ to upgrade 23 through the northern suburbs of Columbus, but it's not impossible. ODOT, go over to Indiana and drive along the US 31 corridor in Hamilton County (which used to be filled with stoplights and traffic prior to the upgrade to a freeway).

Agreed. Nice to see it's actually an option listed, and I would think/hope that the US 31 example you are talking about is the inspiration for its inclusion.

2nd choice would be E1. They could pretty much use vtk's exact plans for that.

A more perfect, albeit fictional option, would be a version of C1 that curves over to the west somewhere south of OH 750 to line up with the OH 315 freeway directly. The hurdle with that is that it would have to cross metro park land. 

Henry

In the following order of high to low, my preferences are: E1, W1 and C1.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Molandfreak

One of the western ones could add the benefit that you could simply re-route US 23 over there and around the western side of 270. Then 23 is consistently a high-speed roadway until Carey. If you do this and re-route 23 on OH 15, I-75, and I-475, US 23 would either be an expressway or a freeway throughout Ohio. US 223 could then take over "old"  23.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Ryctor2018

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 16, 2021, 08:59:00 AM

That's standard on any project, even non-freeway construction.
I like E1 as well. With the Infrastructure plan, Ohio can move on this.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

SkyPesos

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on November 16, 2021, 03:21:00 PM

That's standard on any project, even non-freeway construction.
I like E1 as well. With the Infrastructure plan, Ohio can move on this.
Just letting you know here first, Avalanchez is against pretty much all highway projects that aren't part of the 1956 or 1968 interstate highway additions. He calls everything a "pork project", check his post history.

zzcarp

I've taken the US 23 to the rural OH 315 route to the freeway OH 315 many times over the years and always wished there was a freeway connection from US 23 to the freeway portion of OH 315. That does not seem to be in the cards (which makes sense from environmental concerns, etc.).

I guess I prefer the Central option, with E1 being a close second. I'd like the eastern one more with the freeway connection to I-71 if there's an expansion between US 36 and I-270. I've heard about the congestion that already extends past Polaris, and we don't want to completely overload I-71.

The west options all would go too far west for people heading from the north through Columbus in my view.
So many miles and so many roads

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Been on 'no build' since 1967, when the Delaware bypass (for US 23) was completed.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: zzcarp on November 16, 2021, 06:41:01 PM
I've taken the US 23 to the rural OH 315 route to the freeway OH 315 many times over the years and always wished there was a freeway connection from US 23 to the freeway portion of OH 315. That does not seem to be in the cards (which makes sense from environmental concerns, etc.).

Any sort of connector between Oh 315 & US 23, between Oh 750 (Powell Rd) and I-270 will not happen due to the 3 primary land owners in that quadrangle. Columbus City of Parks (Highbanks Metro park takes up the majority of the land in this location), the Godman Guild (Catholic charity based in Columbus that owns some woodlands (including Camp Mary Orton) south of Highbanks Park), and the Vatican. Yes, that Vatican. They operate the Pontifical College Josephinum, off of US 23 (High St), north of I-270.

seicer

The Central Option is complicated by the recent rebuild of US 23 just north of I-270. You would need a parallel southbound component to be built either underground (unlikely as it would require the northbound component to be rebuilt), aboveground, or at-grade. ODOT really boxed itself in on future upgrades with its northbound undergrounding project several years ago.

I think for cost, a west-to-US 33 or an east-to-I-71 alternative will be considered.

NE2

Quote from: seicer on November 17, 2021, 12:36:13 PM
The Central Option is complicated by the recent rebuild of US 23 just north of I-270. You would need a parallel southbound component to be built either underground (unlikely as it would require the northbound component to be rebuilt), aboveground, or at-grade. ODOT really boxed itself in on future upgrades with its northbound undergrounding project several years ago.
I can think of any number of possibilities. One simple starting point is to dip southbound traffic under Campus View, close southbound access at Flint, and make the current northbound surface lanes two-way from Flint south to a new crossover near Dimension.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

Quote from: zzcarp on November 16, 2021, 06:41:01 PM
I've taken the US 23 to the rural OH 315 route to the freeway OH 315 many times over the years and always wished there was a freeway connection from US 23 to the freeway portion of OH 315.
It's called the I-270 C/D roads :bigass:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Mods: can/should we move the recent posts here to a new thread, or maybe just rename the whole thread, reflecting that this current study technically is independent of I-73?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: vtk on November 18, 2021, 09:06:04 AM
Mods: can/should we move the recent posts here to a new thread, or maybe just rename the whole thread, reflecting that this current study technically is independent of I-73?

Use the report to moderator function versus clogging up the topic with these kind of requests please.

TempoNick

I choose E1. It still makes most sense to bypass Delaware, and cut over to I-71 with freeway. I like the approach from the West, but it adds 10 to 14 miles to your trip if you use US-23. Freeway the rest of US-23 and then call it I-375 (it's confuse people on the way to or from Michigan since they have an I-375, but SR-175 is already taken). Or, God forbid, I-73!

This conversation about US 23 didn't just start out of the blue. They had our Senators and Reps working on the infrastructure bill and they must have given state officials the heads up that a pile of money was coming their way. Remember, Trump got infrastructure going so this has been talked about for a while. The Brent Spence Bridge is going to get done with Uncle Sam picking up at least half the tab, so you gotta think this is also going to get done.

Remember, the last time infrastructure money was thrown at us, we got US-33 completed. I think US-35 was completed with that money as well. This is going to get done.

TempoNick

Quote from: Buck87 on November 16, 2021, 10:19:26 AM

Agreed. Nice to see it's actually an option listed, and I would think/hope that the US 31 example you are talking about is the inspiration for its inclusion.

I don't trust them enough to eliminate all the at-grade intersections. The at-grade intersection they left for River Road on OH 16/37/161 near Granville bugs me every time I drive through there. Do things the right way and close it off!!! The purpose of this exercise is to create a free flowing route between Columbus and Toledo/Detroit. I don't trust them to do it the right way.

SkyPesos

Quote from: TempoNick on November 18, 2021, 08:43:17 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on November 16, 2021, 10:19:26 AM

I don't trust them enough to eliminate all the at-grade intersections. The at-grade intersection they left for River Road on OH 16/37/161 near Granville bugs me every time I drive through there. Do things the right way and close it off!!! The purpose of this exercise is to create a free flowing route between Columbus and Toledo/Detroit. I don't trust them to do it the right way.
It's an RIRO, almost like an exit/entrance ramp. I don't see the issue with it affecting free-flow traffic that much, if the traffic count on River Road is very low anyways.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on November 18, 2021, 09:06:04 AM

NO!

TempoNick

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 18, 2021, 08:47:17 PM
It's an RIRO, almost like an exit/entrance ramp. I don't see the issue with it affecting free-flow traffic that much, if the traffic count on River Road is very low anyways.

Yes and no. They cut the speed limit to 55 there creating a speed trap. If it wasn't for River Rd., they might not have to lower the speed until you get closer to Nerk. They put all that time and effort into that road. It should be all freeway straight through.

carbaugh2

I've had to drive the corridor twice during the fall sports season, and I don't see how they can fit the central option. There is very little available right of way to be had. 23 north of Delaware is 5 lane (center turn) with buildings against the road. While I would like to see this happen, the E1 and W1 concepts are the ones that make the most sense financially.

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 18, 2021, 08:47:17 PM
Quote from: TempoNick on November 18, 2021, 08:43:17 PM

[/quote]

The RIRO going westbound on 16 will close at the end of the bridge replacement project for the 37/661 interchange. I have not seen anything specifying whether the RIRO going eastbound on 16 will also close. I had always thought that ODOT should have found the money to build an overpass for River Rd when they first made the two RIROs.

TempoNick

Quote from: carbaugh2 on November 19, 2021, 08:06:17 AM
I've had to drive the corridor twice during the fall sports season, and I don't see how they can fit the central option. There is very little available right of way to be had. 23 north of Delaware is 5 lane (center turn) with buildings against the road.

If you go to some other states, you would be amazed at how they are able to jam expressways through places like that. Although US 19 in the Tampa Bay area isn't freeway, they just built overpasses and frontage roads at most of the main intersections. Texas does this as well.

I personally don't like it, but it is one way to get the job done.

I still don't see it happening here because of all the money they spent trying to untangle all of those exits. And if they did, I doubt it would end up being frictionless which is the goal.

What does RIRO stand for? I'm guessing right in, right out?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.