News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

City rivalries

Started by golden eagle, July 26, 2011, 12:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Master son on July 28, 2011, 02:23:27 PM
Well your state does show "Twin Cities" on some BGSs If I recall.

Wisconsin - at least - shows respect for both cities, alternating between them on distance info signs.

Oklahoma does no such thing. I-35 south goes to "Dallas", and that's it. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on July 27, 2011, 09:50:52 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 27, 2011, 02:04:02 PM
Well in the world of sports, Milwaukee vs. Chicago is always heated.  (Cubs are in town this week.)

Quote from: Chicagosuburban on July 27, 2011, 02:51:55 PM
Also in sports, Chicago vs. St. Louis

And, again in sports, Chicago vs. Detroit.

Notice a pattern here?
BTW, Go Tigers!  :clap: :cheers:
Milwaukee?  How about Green Bay - How 'bout the whole state of Wisconsin  :happy:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ftballfan

Likely one of the biggest within Michigan: Manistee vs. Ludington.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: PAHighways on July 28, 2011, 02:10:38 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 27, 2011, 10:17:02 PMSurprised no one has mentioned Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland.

I was getting around to it, and add:

Pittsburgh/Philadelphia
Pittsburgh/Baltimore

Both of those more so after the Penguins eliminating the Flyers and the Steelers eliminating the Ravens in the respective league playoffs multiple times in recent years.

If it's sports rivaleries between cities, then Pittsburgh can take a back seat to Dallas, New York, and Washington as far as Philadelphia is concerned.
Otherwise, most of us in Columbus say "Bomb Ann Arbor now!"
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Brandon

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 28, 2011, 11:12:43 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 27, 2011, 10:17:02 PMSurprised no one has mentioned Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland.

Pittsburgh/Philadelphia
Pittsburgh/Baltimore

Both of those more so after the Penguins eliminating the Flyers and the Steelers eliminating the Ravens in the respective league playoffs multiple times in recent years.

If it's sports rivaleries between cities, then Pittsburgh can take a back seat to Dallas, New York, and Washington as far as Philadelphia is concerned.
Otherwise, most of us in Columbus say "Bomb Ann Arbor now!"

You can take Ann Arbor (it's on-par with C-bus anyway).  We'll keep East Lansing and Houghton.  :sombrero:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

All three (Ann Arbor, C-Bus and East Lansing will bow down to Madison. :happy:
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

CL

Salt Lake City and Provo, sports and otherwise. Salt Lake City has the University of Utah, and Provo has Brigham Young University. The rivalry between the two universities is intense. Outside the realm of collegiate athletics, Provo sees Salt Lake as a den of iniquity, while Salt Lake sees Provo as an insular Mormon enclave. Can't get much better than that.
Infrastructure. The city.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: hbelkins on July 27, 2011, 10:17:02 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland.

Strangely, one guy writen an idea then Pittsburgh and Cleveland should be a regional metro area titled "Cleveburgh"
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11002/1114678-109.stm

As for Cincy, didn't got a rivalry with Louisville as well?

There was also a economic rivalry between Montreal and Toronto and now Montreal is in rivalry with Quebec City.  The only rivalry I heard between Edmonton and Calgary are the sports teams.

golden eagle

Quote from: CL on July 30, 2011, 09:15:13 PM
Salt Lake City and Provo, sports and otherwise. Salt Lake City has the University of Utah, and Provo has Brigham Young University. The rivalry between the two universities is intense. Outside the realm of collegiate athletics, Provo sees Salt Lake as a den of iniquity, while Salt Lake sees Provo as an insular Mormon enclave. Can't get much better than that.

Urban Meyer was on ESPNU yesterday doing a report on Utah's football team and he refused to refer to BYU by name. Remember, he used to coach Utah before heading to Florida.

texaskdog

Quote from: golden eagle on August 01, 2011, 01:16:58 PM

Urban Meyer was on ESPNU yesterday doing a report on Utah's football team and he refused to refer to BYU by name. Remember, he used to coach Utah before heading to Florida.

I can't refer to A & M by their state name.  Usually I call them aTm or something far worse.

texaskdog

Pot calling the kettle black?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: texaskdog on August 01, 2011, 02:03:40 PM

Pot calling the kettle black?
Yeah, really; a place where Mormons get mad?  How intense can a rivalry be in a place where nobody drinks?
Just turn it off; like a light switch!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

PAHighways

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 01, 2011, 12:51:21 PM
Strangely, one guy writen an idea then Pittsburgh and Cleveland should be a regional metro area titled "Cleveburgh"
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11002/1114678-109.stm

The first line in the article about sums it up.

This idea is just a section of what has been referred to as the Great Lakes Megalopolis or what French geographer Jean Gottmann called "Chipitts."

Brandon

Quote from: texaskdog on August 01, 2011, 02:02:18 PM

I can't refer to A & M by their state name.  Usually I call them aTm or something far worse.

Like "University of Texas"?

/Ask anyone from our newest member of the Big Ten, Nebraska.  :biggrin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Louisville is the (AAA) minor league affiliate for Cincinnati. Rivalry?

texaskdog

Quote from: Brandon on August 01, 2011, 09:12:35 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on August 01, 2011, 02:02:18 PM

Like "University of Texas"?

/Ask anyone from our newest member of the Big Ten, Nebraska.  :biggrin:

Nebraska ran away while they could.  One more team to beat up on the University of Minnesota.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 01, 2011, 10:24:15 PM
College basketball, not pro baseball.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

The colleges, when both were in the old Metro and ConferenceUSA.

The steamboat rivalry, Belle of Louisville vs. Delta Queen, when they run the steamboat race on the Ohio River during Derby Week.

Given the number of people who moved from rural Kentucky (especially my area) northward for jobs, there are probably more Kentuckians in Cincinnati than there are in Louisville!  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Master son on August 01, 2011, 11:37:21 PM
College basketball, not pro baseball.
Yes, pro baseball.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t416

Michael in Philly

Pittsburgh/Philadelphia
Pittsburgh/Baltimore

The purported Pittsburgh/Philadelphia rivalry is completely one-sided.
And speaking personally, I rather like Pittsburgh, am rooting for the Pirates to win that division, and regret that they haven't yet recovered from our sweeping them last weekend.  :-)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: 6a on July 27, 2011, 04:46:17 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on July 27, 2011, 12:16:24 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 26, 2011, 11:07:05 PM
Cleveland and Columbus (which is funny because plenty of Clevelanders move to Columbus)

For some reason, I'd thought there would be a bigger rivalry between Cleveland and Cincinnati, due to sports.
Columbus is the pretty younger sister that's getting all the attention.  Cleveland's just pissy because it was always the biggest and brawniest.  In baseball, Cincy and Cleveland are in different leagues and they both suck at football anyway.  I've always gotten a sense that Cincy is off doing its own thing, all flirting with Dayton and just being Cincy. 

Does Cincinnati have as much interest in the rest of Ohio as it does in Kentucky?  (And there are probably good historic reasons for the Kentucky orientation, i.e., 19th-century commercial patterns.)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on July 26, 2011, 10:38:14 PM
Meh, New Yorkers hate everybody. OK, well, maybe not hate...but we definitely believe that our city is supreme to all.

And that's why the rest of the country loves you so.  [rolleyes]
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

PAHighways

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 07, 2011, 04:37:53 PMThe purported Pittsburgh/Philadelphia rivalry is completely one-sided.

Depends on the sport as to the one-sidedness.

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 07, 2011, 04:37:53 PMAnd speaking personally, I rather like Pittsburgh, am rooting for the Pirates to win that division, and regret that they haven't yet recovered from our sweeping them last weekend.  :-)

Don't pat the Phillies on the back for doing that, their slump began after the ump in Atlanta made that horrendous call.  No good ever comes when a team from or team member of a Pittsburgh organization visits Georgia.  At least the Pens don't have to worry about that for another 20 years if history is any indication.

6a

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 07, 2011, 04:41:43 PM
Quote from: 6a on July 27, 2011, 04:46:17 PM

Columbus is the pretty younger sister that's getting all the attention.  Cleveland's just pissy because it was always the biggest and brawniest.  In baseball, Cincy and Cleveland are in different leagues and they both suck at football anyway.  I've always gotten a sense that Cincy is off doing its own thing, all flirting with Dayton and just being Cincy. 

Does Cincinnati have as much interest in the rest of Ohio as it does in Kentucky?  (And there are probably good historic reasons for the Kentucky orientation, i.e., 19th-century commercial patterns.)

The local AM news/talk just concluded a survey re: football loyalties.  I'd expected the results to be like this, but I was surprised at the low Bengals tally.  I'd say that lines up with the feelings in general.

Who's your NFL team?
Browns
41.80 %
Bengals
15.16 %
Steelers
27.05 %
Colts
6.15 %
Other
9.84 %

Michael in Philly

Quote from: PAHighways on August 07, 2011, 06:55:57 PM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 07, 2011, 04:37:53 PMThe purported Pittsburgh/Philadelphia rivalry is completely one-sided.

Depends on the sport as to the one-sidedness.

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 07, 2011, 04:37:53 PMAnd speaking personally, I rather like Pittsburgh, am rooting for the Pirates to win that division, and regret that they haven't yet recovered from our sweeping them last weekend.  :-)

Don't pat the Phillies on the back for doing that, their slump began after the ump in Atlanta made that horrendous call.  No good ever comes when a team from or team member of a Pittsburgh organization visits Georgia.  At least the Pens don't have to worry about that for another 20 years if history is any indication.

If you read from the start of the thread, we weren't necessarily talking sports rivalries.  I figured it was more economic/cultural stuff, long predating the existence of major sports.  I was being tongue-in-cheek about the Philadelphia/Pittsburgh rivalry being one-sided, but on the other hand, we're awfully close to New York and Washington, as close to Boston as to Pittsburgh, and considerably larger than Pittsburgh, so Pittsburgh's sort of easy to ignore, in fields other than state politics.  THAT SAID, it's remarkably pushy of the Steelers to have an FM station in Harrisburg carrying their games; there are five NFL teams closer to Harrisburg than the Steelers are, one of them in the same state.

Also, I couldn't care less about the NHL or NBA.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.