News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Maphead

Started by US71, September 21, 2011, 09:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Maphead Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks by Ken Jennings

A book about maps by Ken Jennings )of Jeopardy fame) with a passing acknowledgement of "road geeks" and a brief mention of Richard Ankrom (the I-5 sign artist)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

corco

And...book purchased.

I love that quote though- "That's what unites all of these people: a desire to be explorers even though they were born centuries too late for the real era of exploration."

Although now Ken Jennings is going to be nationally credited as the inventor of the term "roadgeek"  :-|

US71

Quote from: corco on September 21, 2011, 09:49:13 PM
And...book purchased.

I love that quote though- "That's what unites all of these people: a desire to be explorers even though they were born centuries too late for the real era of exploration."

Although now Ken Jennings is going to be nationally credited as the inventor of the term "roadgeek"  :-|

Well, I prefer "road scholar", myself  :)

hbelkins

If I am not mistaken, Ken Jennings is a member of the Roadgeek Yahoo group.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

corco

He's posted here a few times too. He seems like good people.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of roadgeekery becoming something the mainstream is aware of (there are people taking pictures while driving?!? HORRIBLE!), but it sounds like we're portrayed in a positive light, so that's good.

vdeane

Quote from: US71 on September 21, 2011, 10:04:41 PM
Well, I prefer "road scholar", myself  :)
That's not too far from "Viatologist"...
Quote from: corco on September 21, 2011, 10:19:10 PM
He's posted here a few times too. He seems like good people.
He's multiple people!?  :wow:
QuoteI'm not sure if I like the idea of roadgeekery becoming something the mainstream is aware of (there are people taking pictures while driving?!? HORRIBLE!), but it sounds like we're portrayed in a positive light, so that's good.
That hasn't stopped places like NY and Ontario from banning taking pictures while driving anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

Quote from: deanej on September 22, 2011, 07:32:08 AM

He's multiple people!?  :wow:

Maybe he's one person in multiple bodies? ;)

Scott5114

I think this was the book that he was writing that he sought the input of this board on, actually.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

That hasn't stopped places like NY and Ontario from banning taking pictures while driving anyways.

New York bans it? Then I was a major scofflaw on my recent trip. Photos going up on Flickr this weekend to document my lawbreaking activities.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ian

Quote from: hbelkins on September 22, 2011, 04:03:43 PM
New York bans it? Then I was a major scofflaw on my recent trip. Photos going up on Flickr this weekend to document my lawbreaking activities.

You rebel  :-P
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on September 22, 2011, 04:03:43 PM

Technically it's been illegal for quite some time, but only recently did they make it possible for police to pull you over for it.  Somehow taking pictures while driving was equated with texting while driving in the legislature's mind.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 22, 2011, 03:55:29 PMI think this was the book that he was writing that he sought the input of this board on, actually.

Does anyone have a link to the thread where he did that?  I've looked for it but haven't managed to hit on the magic combination of search terms.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 23, 2011, 02:55:29 PM

Does anyone have a link to the thread where he did that?  I've looked for it but haven't managed to hit on the magic combination of search terms.

I think this is it.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2331.0

the only way I could find it was by author search.  here are his other posts, in case that thread is not it.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1285;sa=showPosts
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I guess that really was Ken Jennings after all.  :banghead:
If he comes to Columbus, I'll apologize for being a snob in the "Roadgeeks that changed the world" thread.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 22, 2011, 03:55:29 PM
I think this was the book that he was writing that he sought the input of this board on, actually.
I believe so. As a huge Jeopardy fan, his was one of the first names on this site that caught my attention and I wondered if it was really him. I guessed it was because it all seemed legit and made sense. Nice to see the work actually come out in print.

formulanone

Nonsense, I use my camera to scratch my head while driving. I should get that looked at.

Saw an A&E (I think) TV special on Ken Jennings a few years ago, and they couldn't drag anything bad out of him and his life; not even any overdue library books. :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.